SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Off-season Recruiting

SD UND

Not sure what @SiouxBoys and @SD UND have against Daniel Hong that they would downvote my post about Hong getting a scholarship..... odd behavior from "UND fans"

From everything I have heard from his teammates and other people, he is a great teammate and a great practice player. If we can't find anyone else that is scholarship worthy to come to UND then I don't see why you wouldn't reward Hong with a scholarship. 

• Downvote 2

18 hours ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Not sure what @SiouxBoys and @SD UND have against Daniel Hong that they would downvote my post about Hong getting a scholarship..... odd behavior from "UND fans"

From everything I have heard from his teammates and other people, he is a great teammate and a great practice player. If we can't find anyone else that is scholarship worthy to come to UND then I don't see why you wouldn't reward Hong with a scholarship. 

Maybe because they can either hold that scholly for someone who can contribute, or give it to Bothun or Kraft as they were "PWO's" 

Hong, I'm sure is a great teammate and a great practice player, if he sticks it out he will get 1 or 2 years on scholarship.

(Here comes the "I haven't seen him miss in warmups all year, he's money!!")

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

18 hours ago, HoopsFan03 said:

You spent the season posting about how the coaching staff had a roster that was not D1 talent and now you just want to give up a scholarship ship to a player that is a great practice player and is not even halfway into his career.  

That may be the reason for the down votes

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, SD UND said:

Maybe because they can either hold that scholly for someone who can contribute, or give it to Bothun or Kraft as they were "PWO's" 

Hong, I'm sure is a great teammate and a great practice player, if he sticks it out he will get 1 or 2 years on scholarship.

What you just said makes 0 sense. Let's give our last scholarship to a walk-on who is going to redshirt instead of the walk-on that already spent a year redshirting and has been with the program, has proven to be a good teammate and a valuable practice player. How does that make any sense??

You also act like Hong wasn't a PWO either and was just a student that we pulled out of Biology class and asked if he wanted to join the team. Hong was in the exact same position as Bothun and Kraft being a PWO coming to UND. So that point is invalid. 

Edited by HoopsFan03
Added second paragraph
  • Downvote 1

39 minutes ago, homer said:

You spent the season posting about how the coaching staff had a roster that was not D1 talent and now you just want to give up a scholarship ship to a player that is a great practice player and is not even halfway into his career.  

That may be the reason for the down votes

No one complained about last years team not having D1 talent. People were actually very happy that we finally had D1 level players on the roster. 

Now, people were complaining about the 2021-2022 team because that was MAYBE an average NSIC team trying to play D1 basketball. I think you are a little confused on your years man.

• Downvote 1

26 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

What you just said makes 0 sense. Let's give our last scholarship to a walk-on who is going to redshirt instead of the walk-on that already spent a year redshirting and has been with the program, has proven to be a good teammate and a valuable practice player. How does that make any sense??

You also act like Hong wasn't a PWO either and was just a student that we pulled out of Biology class and asked if he wanted to join the team. Hong was in the exact same position as Bothun and Kraft being a PWO coming to UND. So that point is invalid. 

Ok.

If anyone on the current roster is going to get the scholarship, it would be Bothun because I'm pretty positive he was guaranteed one next year anyway.

More likely outcome is that they hold it through the offseason and see if they can't get in play with someone who can contribute right away.

No disrespect to Hong, I'm sure he's a nice player, good kid, great in classroom, awesome teammate, someone who is valuable to the team. If he gets a scholarship, I'm happy for him, just don't think it will be this year.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, HoopsFan03 said:

No one complained about last years team not having D1 talent. People were actually very happy that we finally had D1 level players on the roster. 

Now, people were complaining about the 2021-2022 team because that was MAYBE an average NSIC team trying to play D1 basketball. I think you are a little confused on your years man.

I’m not the one who is confused.  Plenty of posts during game threads and in the coaching thread about some players on the team and how our roster was made of D2 players because that is all the staff could recruit.  Guessing plenty on this board will back me on reading those comments. 

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, homer said:

I’m not the one who is confused.  Plenty of posts during game threads and in the coaching thread about some players on the team and how our roster was made of D2 players because that is all the staff could recruit.  Guessing plenty on this board will back me on reading those comments. 

Here, I will paint this out for you so that you can understand. Myself and others said the whole year last year from beginning to end that with the level of players that we had, we should have been a middle of the pack Summit team. Hence, we had D1 level players that could compete in the Summit League. Said that the whole year. 

I also think you're getting a little confused on the difference between having a few individuals who have no business playing D1 basketball and the overall talent of the team. Yes, there are players like Reid Grant who have no business playing D1 basketball, but no one complained about the OVERALL talent level of the roster last year. In fact, many of us were very delighted to see D1 level size and skill players this past season. (Omot, Eaglestaff, Brooks, Trent, to name a few)

Again, I think you are confused on your years man. I understand you want to try disagree with anything myself and a few others say, but you are dead wrong on this one. Give it a rest.

Here is my very first post about last season after the first exhibition game against Waldorf..... (not sure how to quote it from that thread to this one or if I even can)

This years team is steps ahead of last year. They actually look like a D1 team this year. They have significantly more talented players this year than last year. They should at least be competitive this year and hopefully win a few more games.

@homer Again, you are dead wrong on this one. Give it a rest.

5 hours ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Reminds me of when I was at UND and Gunther was still coaching. The joke was that he could walk through Gamble Hall and grab 8-9 guys and still beat Erv and the bison.

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Here is my very first post about last season after the first exhibition game against Waldorf..... (not sure how to quote it from that thread to this one or if I even can)

@homer Again, you are dead wrong on this one. Give it a rest.

Alot of the complaints along with my own were that Sather didnt know how to figure out a rotation.   He was playing Suecker and Nero big minutes.  Started Danielson at point guard.  Reid Grant was playing alot of minutes.  When he finally figured things out half way through the year, that some of us were calling for since the beginning of the year, we started seeing some improvements.   I really liked the recruits he brought in last summer and I like the recruits he got this spring.  I think he is figuring things out and am excited again about UND basketball!  

• Like 2

On 5/18/2023 at 8:34 AM, SD UND said:

IMG_0449.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

Suggestion - mark your calendar and get to the Summit Basketball tournament, it's a great place to meet up with other fans and connect with player's families. Lots of great games and UND hosts a very nice social room before every game. Anyone who was there would have realized that this was true - all the hand wringing posts about players leaving have no purpose. 

• Upvote 2