SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Early Departures & Portal Transfers

brianvf

1 minute ago, The Sicatoka said:

Big, experienced RH D used to playing with and covering for exuberant youthful defensemen who may make coverage mistakes. ... CHECK! 

Seriously it seems like the staff is checking every box in a big way. Our 3 portals guys plus Livanavage could make for a great top 4 next year. Get them here early this summer to get some chemistry rolling. Good stuff 

• Like 2

Just now, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

Looks like Benoit and Komzak will be fighting for ice time.

I'd say this (Pehrson) is a signal Strathmann is staying USHL one more season. 

Go find a 7/8 RHD that has some experience and be done. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, hockeytherapy13 said:

Seriously it seems like the staff is checking every box in a big way. Our 3 portals guys plus Livanavage could make for a great top 4 next year. Get them here early this summer to get some chemistry rolling. Good stuff 

Guessing it’ll be Abram Wiebe in the top 4 instead of Livanavage. But I expect both to be regulars. 

• Upvote 1

I see

• two rocks (Pyke, Pehrson)
  • a step right in guy with one question -- will the hip hold up
  • four freshmen most teams would beg for

Find an insurance policy eighth guy and I'll sleep pretty well for the first time in a couple weeks. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I see

• two rocks (Pyke, Pehrson)
  • a step right in guy with one question -- will the hip hold up
  • four freshmen most teams would beg for

Find an insurance policy eighth guy and I'll sleep pretty well for the first time in a couple weeks. 

Isn't the understanding that Komzak is that 8th guy? I would choose Strathmann first, but if the agreement is to go back, swing for the fences for the last portal addition. We're no longer in make-or-break territory but adding another high-ender with experience would really solidify things. Especially if he was a RH shot. 

2 minutes ago, AJS said:

Isn't the understanding that Komzak is that 8th guy? I would choose Strathmann first, but if the agreement is to go back, swing for the fences for the last portal addition. We're no longer in make-or-break territory but adding another high-ender with experience would really solidify things. Especially if he was a RH shot. 

They said Komzak is the projected 8th D when he committed. 

I think if it’s not Strathmann, I’d try to find another underclassmen in the portal to balance out the classes a bit more. 

54 minutes ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

Looks like Benoit and Komzak will be fighting for ice time.

You never know.  Many thought that Sidorski would be sitting a lot, and that Johnson would be in the lineup every day.   It seems there are surprises like that every year. 

• Upvote 1

As long as Strathmann is A-OK with doing one more year of juniors, I'd hope that the last dman spot is filled with just a depth add (only plays in case of injury).
The flip side of getting all these great dman portal additions is that you don't want another Johnson/Bast situation where a couple freshmen enter the portal next season because they didn't get enough playing time this year.

That said...I think Berry really worked wonders on this portal "season".
Going from having no returning goalies (other than Johnson) and no returning dmen...this is really turning into a solid team for next season already.

• Upvote 1

Just now, brianvf said:

Going from having no returning goalies (other than Johnson) and no returning dmen...this is really turning into a solid team for next season already.

I told someone "eight D, three G, and we kept just one of eleven" and the "one" is the third string goalie. 

They. Didn't. Believe. Me. :D  

1 hour ago, SuhakiYeahYeah said:

I know we've all got our thoughts on the portal and the situation with all the recruiting pipelines and loyalty, but you can't argue, bubs is hitting some home runs with this year's transfers!

On paper that is certainly the case.  As we all know, the chemistry of the team next year and how they come together will tell the tale.  

52 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I told someone "eight D, three G, and we kept just one of eleven" and the "one" is the third string goalie. 

They. Didn't. Believe. Me. :D  

In my defense, you didn't really believe yourself with all this 1% chance talk hahaha :D