SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Early Departures & Portal Transfers

brianvf

3 hours ago, Sweethockey said:

Is the word "freshman" a derogatory word? I noticed they list their freshman as "first year".

Yah, at CC it was frowned upon to use the word “freshman” or “freshmen” because it has the word “man/men” in it. We were called “first years.” 

37 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Briere is in the portal. Haha, Stonehill it is! 

Geez...getting kicked off not one, but two, college teams in four years.  Not going well for Mr. Briere.
I'd guess that no NCAA team is gonna take a chance on him anymore.

1 hour ago, Godsmack said:

Yah, at CC it was frowned upon to use the word “freshman” or “freshmen” because it has the word “man/men” in it. We were called “first years.” 

Disturbing and pathetic. What a soft society! CC you have other issues to focus on - good grief! 

• Upvote 1

More portal entrants:
UConn G Logan Terness
Alaska G Daniel Allin
LSSU D Sebastian Miedema
Mercyhurst F Paul Maust
Mercyhurst F Carson Briere

And also:

https://badgerextra.com/sports/hockey/men/these-items-are-among-many-new-wisconsin-mens-hockey-coach-mike-hastings-will-tackle/article_920ecca6-d27a-11ed-8287-3fb492ebffa6.html

At least one of the 11 players who signed with the Badgers last fall no longer intends to join for the 2023-24 season. Defenseman Boston Buckberger of the United States Hockey League's Lincoln Stars said he now intends to play at Denver after seeking a release from his National Letter of Intent.

That's a solid recruit swap for DU...Buckberger has 41pts in 56ga as a D.

3 minutes ago, brianvf said:

More portal entrants:
UConn G Logan Terness
Alaska G Daniel Allin
LSSU D Sebastian Miedema
Mercyhurst F Paul Maust

And also:

https://badgerextra.com/sports/hockey/men/these-items-are-among-many-new-wisconsin-mens-hockey-coach-mike-hastings-will-tackle/article_920ecca6-d27a-11ed-8287-3fb492ebffa6.html

Man…that stinks 

37 minutes ago, brianvf said:

More portal entrants:
UConn G Logan Terness
Alaska G Daniel Allin
LSSU D Sebastian Miedema
Mercyhurst F Paul Maust

And also:

His younger brother Ronan Bunkberger looks to be a good get. 

Braxton, the twin brother, looks to be a 4-year type player 3rd or 4th liner.

23 hours ago, bale31 said:

Naw....ill just commiserate with them. They had a coach sell them for years and fool them into believing in him too. We will all be bitter together.

I don’t blame you for being salty.  I thought Hastings would stay in Mankato too. 

3 hours ago, brianvf said:

Geez...getting kicked off not one, but two, college teams in four years.  Not going well for Mr. Briere.
I'd guess that no NCAA team is gonna take a chance on him anymore.

Pffft, that’s nothing!  @Godsmack has been banned from softball, hockey, pickleball, AND dart leagues in the state of Colorado.  He is currently appealing his bowling ban for allegedly throwing a 16 pound ball at a group of Catholic nuns during a recent charity event for St. Luke’s Nursing Home.  

8 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

I don’t blame you for being salty.  I thought Hastings would stay in Mankato too. 

I appreciate that. The saltiness is wearing off. I'm not particularly upset with individuals. I just can't handle people that either try to tell me it's not a big deal and "you'll get someone good" when at the same time celebrating what a great hire it is for wisconsin. If it were so easy for us to find someone good, wis onside. Would have done that. It's gonna be a heck of a difficult thing replacing maybe the best head coach and maybe the best assistant coach in the country.

I also take issue with people that basically say that Mankato should just know who they are and don't be upset that someone better can double our coach's salary. We should just be happy that we're a second class citizen in the hockey world. This isn't the cesspool known as college football and personally I don't want it to be. If that's where the sport is headed, count me out. I don't want any part of that.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bale31 said:

I appreciate that. The saltiness is wearing off. I'm not particularly upset with individuals. I just can't handle people that either try to tell me it's not a big deal and "you'll get someone good" when at the same time celebrating what a great hire it is for wisconsin. If it were so easy for us to find someone good, wis onside. Would have done that. It's gonna be a heck of a difficult thing replacing maybe the best head coach and maybe the best assistant coach in the country.

I also take issue with people that basically say that Mankato should just know who they are and don't be upset that someone better can double our coach's salary. We should just be happy that we're a second class citizen in the hockey world. This isn't the cesspool known as college football and personally I don't want it to be. If that's where the sport is headed, count me out. I don't want any part of that.

Unfortunately we are headed that direction in so many ways.  NIL will only create that bigger divide between the haves and the have nots.  I think most of us are drawn to college hockey because it wasn't the cesspool that pro and other college sports were, and there was at least some semblance of dignity.  That seems to be a thing of the past. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, bale31 said:

I also take issue with people that basically say that Mankato should just know who they are and don't be upset that someone better can double our coach's salary. We should just be happy that we're a second class citizen in the hockey world. This isn't the cesspool known as college football and personally I don't want it to be. If that's where the sport is headed, count me out. I don't want any part of that.

Amen. Schools like UND and Mankato CANNOT accept being relegated to mid-major status in hockey. Too many people on this forum have thrown in the towel; I will not do that. President Armacost, please do not allow hockey (or any other sport) degrade into irrelevance. The tone needs to be set by your office or it won't matter what anyone else tries to do.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Pffft, that’s nothing!  @Godsmack has been banned from softball, hockey, pickleball, AND dart leagues in the state of Colorado.  He is currently appealing his bowling ban for allegedly throwing a 16 pound ball at a group of Catholic nuns during a recent charity event for St. Luke’s Nursing Home.  

The bowling ball incident was the trigger, but wearing those butt-crack pants all the time didn't help. 

2 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Amen. Schools like UND and Mankato CANNOT accept being relegated to mid-major status in hockey. Too many people on this forum have thrown in the towel; I will not do that. President Armacost, please do not allow hockey (or any other sport) degrade into irrelevance. The tone needs to be set by your office or it won't matter what anyone else tries to do.

Did you just use us and Kato in the same sentence :) 

7 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Did you just use us and Kato in the same sentence :) 

Yeah, I'm not sure I would have done that. I won't argue, but im also not delusional.

Und is a blue blood and doesn't have as much to worry about. I would he shocked to see a coach leave und for a big ten school. Other schools in the nchc definitely have to worry, but not und and most likely not Denver.