SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Early Departures & Portal Transfers

brianvf

2 hours ago, AJS said:

Love this. 

So far so good for UND next season. This is why I'm closely watching what happens with Albrecht / Portal Forward. If both happen, there's becoming a pattern that I really do think is damaging for the program long term. 

As I post this, Portz hits the portal. This is going to sound harsh, but I love this move. Kudos to Berry.

Why "kudos to Berry " for Portz leaving? Just curious.

8 minutes ago, BusinessSoot said:

Why "kudos to Berry " for Portz leaving? Just curious.

He's making the hard decisions.  If we bring in a Top 6/9 forward out of the portal, it would mean that he needed to have one of Portz/Ness/Albrecht/Montgomery to the portal, as they all play a similar Bottom 3/Checking line role.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AJS said:

@brianvf nailed it. Making hard decisions that will improve the team.  

Fair enough. I have don't necessarily see it that way, due to the fact his "hard decisions" failed in every way last year. The 10 and 19 5th year failed venture, cost ice time/development of others, as one example.  Two freshmen of class of '21 left, that in itself is concerning, considering those whom are leaving were contributors to a Penrose team a year ago. (Portz played every game as a freshman). 5x5 scoring from forwards has been clearly an issue the past two years and the list could go on. Hopefully the business model Berry is trying to instill/get corrected gets sailing in the right direction.

He had a pre season ranked #4 team on paper last year............

My two cents.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, BusinessSoot said:

Fair enough. I have don't necessarily see it that way, due to the fact his "hard decisions" failed in every way last year.

I viewed it as last year he didn't make enough hard decisions.  Having both 10 & 19 stay messed with the development of younger "higher ceiling" players.
IMO, the hard decision would have been telling 10 & 19 to move on and to keep Calder another year.
That said, of the four similar players listed previously, Portz is one that I would have rather kept since he was still younger and maybe could have progressed even further.  But I trust the coaches and players to do what is best for the team and hopefully learn from the mistakes of last year.

• Like 1

Based on the last few goalies, this might sound backwards, but what I find exciting about Persson is I hope we know what his floor is. .925 (FR) is obviously outstanding, but .894 / .891 on terrible Miami teams is hopefully his floor.  

2 hours ago, AJS said:

@brianvf nailed it. Making hard decisions that will improve the team.  

Don’t take this as “coming after you or anything” but from the past few days you were def in the camp of using the portal could be a negative long term, now you are fine with an underclassmen (portz) taking off. Reason?

• Upvote 1

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/und-to-turn-over-its-entire-defensive-unit?fbclid=IwAR3oFQlU3r9vny_GrptCIxoTpZB__C1G5g_wy0dvR5Jqiy6_GDidT515U3U

Moore, a fifth-round pick of the Detroit Red Wings, played in 31 of 39 games this season for the Fighting Hawks. He tallied three goals and 13 points.

Moore was a consistent presence on the back end for most of the season, but was scratched in three of UND's final six games. He often ran the second power-play unit from the top.

The Fighting Hawks have been recruiting defensemen in the NCAA transfer portal, but have yet to get any commitments. They'll need to grab at least three in order to give the group experience.

UND also will be grabbing a goaltender and a forward out of the transfer portal. It's possible UND could grab two forwards if UND senior forward Carson Albrecht does not return.

The question is...was he told that he would need to improve for next season (as we all know, he struggled at times, for sure) or is this his own decision?