SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

3 minutes ago, siouxczech29 said:

He saw the writing on the wall with Swanson and Boisvert coming in next year. 

If Croal, Swanson, and Boisvert come in next season (that'd be my guess, minimum)...and Albrecht, Gaber, Jammer, Johannes, and Ness all depart, he'd still have had a much better chance at getting a good amount of playing time as a soph.  Of course, Gaber, Jammer, and Ness could all use a 5th year if they wanted, but I'm guessing only 1-2 of them would if given the opportunity.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, brianvf said:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/freshman-michael-emerson-leaves-und-hockey-team

I understand wanting more playing time, for sure. 
But to bail on your teammates at mid-season is pretty crappy, IMO.

What do you mean I wasn't having more success after lighting up the USHL for a year?

Chicago will welcome him back with open arms after how their season has gone. 

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

What do you mean I wasn't having more success after lighting up the USHL for a year?

Chicago will welcome him back with open arms after how their season has gone. 

Yeah, they're having a bad season.

Emerson will most likely return to the United States Hockey League, where the Chicago Steel own his retention rights. Emerson is then expected to transfer to a new school, where he will be eligible in the fall.  If Emerson does, indeed, return to the Steel, they'll need to make a roster adjustment. They currently have four 2003-born players on the roster, the maximum allowed by the USHL. Chicago would need to move one to make room for Emerson.

"Emerson is the first UND player to leave the team midseason since Adam Tambellini in 2013-14.

Tambellini went to the Western Hockey League in January of that year. UND ended up reaching the NCAA Frozen Four that April with a team captained by Dillon Simpson, now a first-year assistant coach. Tambellini was playing regularly when he left, though."

Welp, book your tickets, boys ;)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, brianvf said:

If Croal, Swanson, and Boisvert come in next season (that'd be my guess, minimum)...and Albrecht, Gaber, Jammer, Johannes, and Ness all depart, he'd still have had a much better chance at getting a good amount of playing time as a soph.  Of course, Gaber, Jammer, and Ness could all use a 5th year if they wanted, but I'm guessing only 1-2 of them would if given the opportunity.

Panzer and Littler will probably be coming in as well. What if there was another Berg or Johannes in the portal?

6 minutes ago, tnt said:

Collin Adams had patience and he really had a nice career here.

There's no way Adams would have stuck around for his junior year with the current transfer rules. His scholarship got yanked and he gutted it out rather than sit for a year.

Not surprised that Emerson left, but figured it would be at the end of the season. His departure isn't nearly as frustrating as Tambellini.

15 minutes ago, tnt said:

Panzer and Littler will probably be coming in as well. What if there was another Berg or Johannes in the portal?

Yeah like you mentioned, some of these guys need to realize that some patience is needed in their development. Panzer and Littler might be two guys that would get a lot more playing time with one more USHL season, so if they come in you hope that they stick with it and earn their playing time. 

For Emerson, he hasn’t played a ton…but from what we’ve seen so far, I doubt he’d be seeing significant playing time at any NCAA program. But give him a year or two and that could be a different story. But he wasn’t willing to be patient with his development. 

4 hours ago, brianvf said:

Those 2 have no more eligibility left.

This makes me wonder why keep a player who had 4 years to prove himself just to take a spot from a younger player that does that players role.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, cberkas said:

This makes me wonder why keep a player who had 4 years to prove himself just to keep to tale a spot from a younger player that do that players role.

:)    Write that while downhill skiing cberkas?

7 minutes ago, cberkas said:

This makes me wonder why keep a player who had 4 years to prove himself just to keep to tale a spot from a younger player that do that players role.

biden confuse.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Yeah like you mentioned, some of these guys need to realize that some patience is needed in their development. Panzer and Littler might be two guys that would get a lot more playing time with one more USHL season, so if they come in you hope that they stick with it and earn their playing time. 

For Emerson, he hasn’t played a ton…but from what we’ve seen so far, I doubt he’d be seeing significant playing time at any NCAA program. But give him a year or two and that could be a different story. But he wasn’t willing to be patient with his development. 

My feeling all along was we see five forwards leave (Gaber, Jammer, Johannes, Ness and Albrecht) and five come in (Boisvert, Swanson, Croal, Panzer and Littler). I would think this opens the door for a portal forward unless they believe Zellers is ready but I think he plays a year of juniors before he comes in which was the original plan for him. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, I Ranger said:

My feeling all along was we see five forwards leave (Gaber, Jammer, Johannes, Ness and Albrecht) and five come in (Boisvert, Swanson, Croal, Panzer and Littler). I would think this opens the door for a portal forward unless they believe Zellers is ready but I think he plays a year of juniors before he comes in which was the original plan for him. 

Agreed on Zellers, might be best to see how he'd do against some tougher competition before he makes the jump to NCAA.
A portal forward find (another Johannes/Berg-like player would be amazing) and then bring in the five freshmen forwards that you list above.

1 hour ago, cberkas said:

This makes me wonder why keep a player who had 4 years to prove himself just to take a spot from a younger player that do that players role.

The 4 year transfer player is probably doing all the right things in practice and the rookie player probably isn’t grasping the NCAA game as fast as the coaches want him to.

You’re going to tell me that you’d take Emerson over Johannes right now? 

8 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

The 4 year transfer player is probably doing all the right things in practice and the rookie player probably isn’t grasping the NCAA game as fast as the coaches want him to.

Over Albrecht

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, siouxkid12 said:

I wouldn’t. Johannes has played a big role at UND this season. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, brianvf said:

nothing wrong with gong back to USHL at this point in his career - he will still be an NCAA D1 player somewhere