SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

Expected Roster as of 4/10/23 -

Going by a somewhat typical 26-man roster (15 F / 8 D / 3 G):

Forwards (15)
Fr - Emerson / Perron
So - Blake / James / McLaughlin / Strinden / Montgomery (RS)
Jr - Schmaltz / Kunz / Berg
Sr - Gaber / Jamernik / Ness
Gr - Albrecht / Johannes

Defense (6)
Fr - Benoit / Komzak / Wiebe / Livanavage / Strathmann
Gr - Pyke

Goalies (3)
Fr - Hedquist
So - Johnson
Sr - Persson

Portal and/or Recruit
D - Need two

The Johannes addition rounds out the forward group nicely.  He should fit in well as the Judd replacement.  Hopefully he can tame down the majors and misconducts, otherwise he'll just be the new Kleven.  ;) 
Still need a couple dmen!

9 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Going by a somewhat typical 26-man roster (15 F / 8 D / 3 G):
Still need a couple dmen!

A Schloss's article earlier today strongly hinted at going 16F this year. It said "one more" even with Johannes. 

A couple-three D depending on Strathmann staying in the USHL. 

Just now, The Sicatoka said:

A Schloss's article earlier today strongly hinted at going 16F this year. It said "one more" even with Johannes. 

A couple-three D depending on Strathmann staying in the USHL. 

Yeah still a couple uncertainties, for sure.
I could see them maybe wanting 16F again this year with not knowing Montgomery's status and recovery from injury.

3 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Yeah still a couple uncertainties, for sure.
I could see them maybe wanting 16F again this year with not knowing Montgomery's status and recovery from injury.

Or is someone else scheduled for off-season work that they're concerned about? Not saying, just wondering aloud. 

30 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

Yep, I prefer to spend my money at Qdoba if i'm going that route.

Qdoba is also originally from Denver, only a few miles up the road from DU.  Do those 3-4 miles make it any better?  For lack of eliminating both of the areas most convenient burrito stops, we'll go with a tentative 'yes' for now.

8 minutes ago, Big A HG said:

Qdoba is also originally from Denver, only a few miles up the road from DU.  Do those 3-4 miles make it any better?  For lack of eliminating both of the areas most convenient burrito stops, we'll go with a tentative 'yes' for now.

Like I always say, when you think of upscale Mexican food, think of Denver, Colorado.

Just now, scpa0305 said:

I’m actually hoping Kunz can carve out a top 6 role. He has a ton of offensive upside. Really needs to work on footspeed however. 

He ended the season in the top 9, not out of the question that he could move into the top 6. He’s one I think could have an increased role and play on the power play more. 

47 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

He ended the season in the top 9, not out of the question that he could move into the top 6. He’s one I think could have an increased role and play on the power play more. 

Yep, really handzy/crafty around the net. Can wire the puck. If he can keep up at this level, he could have really good production. Put up really impressive numbers at shattuck, was one and done in the ushl and was really close to a pt/game.

If Schloss is correct and Johannes is 15F and they are looking at one more (16F) what they bring will be a huge tell to me as to if Berry has figured out the game is going to speed and skill and scoring. 

"Hobey" Fantilli had 64 points. That's Senden/Hain/Caulfield ... combined (53). 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

If Schloss is correct and Johannes is 15F and they are looking at one more (16F) what they bring will be a huge tell to me as to if Berry has figured out the game is going to speed and skill and scoring. 

"Hobey" Fantilli had 64 points. That's Senden/Hain/Caulfield ... combined (53). 

In the Albrecht article, Schloss mentioned that they would need one more definitely (Johannes) and possible one more depth add. The question was is Johannes a depth add or not? I would say not. 

3 minutes ago, AJS said:

In the Albrecht article, Schloss mentioned that they would need one more definitely (Johannes) and possible one more depth add. The question was is Johannes a depth add or not? I would say not. 

At a 16F roster and a hopefully 9/3 mindset (not the old top 6 / bottom 6) I'd like another scorer after Johannes. 

But I'd really like a RH D. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, AJS said:

I don’t think Johannes was a depth add. I think he was a third line forward add. 

I actually wonder what they’ll do for the depth add. Part of me thinks they should just bring in Croal. Do very many portal forwards enter to become a “depth” forward? Not sure what we will find there. 

• Upvote 1

Croal is already scoring at a decent clip for Muskegon, leading their team in overall scoring (though not on a PPG clip) and would be 20 years old by fall.  I don't see a lot of reason to leave him in the USHL another year personally.  I would rather bring in a kid like that than another portal kid.

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I’m actually hoping Kunz can carve out a top 6 role. He has a ton of offensive upside. Really needs to work on footspeed however. 

To your point: while at Green Bay in 2020-2021, Kunz led the Gamblers in goals scored (23g in 50gp). That team had some good talent: Mason Lohrei, Ryan Kirwan, Cam Thiesing, Ryan Greene, and our very own Jake Schmaltz. It would be HUGE if Kunz rediscovered his goal scoring this coming season.

1 minute ago, Big A HG said:

Croal is already scoring at a decent clip for Muskegon, leading their team in overall scoring (though not on a PPG clip) and would be 20 years old by fall.  I don't see a lot of reason to leave him in the USHL another year personally.  I would rather bring in a kid like that than another portal kid.

Recently Schlossman has started saying in his articles that UND will bring in “AT LEAST 2 freshman forwards,” which kind of makes it seem like they could be considering bringing him in. 

15 minutes ago, Big A HG said:

Leave croal alone…he needs another year :)