SiouxSports.com Forum

Saturday night with Duluth-Spicer's Revenge???

Wilbur

40 minutes ago, AJS said:

My issue was his “loaded up” was bringing back two solid, but not great 5th year forwards. I could be misremembering, but I don’t recall people doing backflips when that was announced. I agree it wasn’t a master plan on defense to have 0 Freshman, but incredibly frustrating. This will cause them to dip into the portal again this year. So no, I don’t think people would have complained, because many questioned those moves to begin w/. 

I'd say any fifth year guy on any team is solid, not great.  If they were anything more, they wouldn't still be playing in college.  There're varying approaches in the league.  SC has 5 fifth-year players, none great, and they're a beast of a team.  Denver has none, and is also very good.  

Also, not that they've been great, but only two forwards on the team have scored more than 19, 10 or 28. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

Our players seem to be regressing instead of progressing. Same thing happened last year. Instead of getting better in the second half we seem to be getting worse. It’s almost too painful to watch sometimes. 

Didn't UND go on an amazing, and fairly shocking with Sanderson out, second-half run last year to win the league?  Unless I dreamed it, I honestly don't know what you're talking about.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

At the sake of not putting this program in a tailspin 26 18 29 and 6 have to play from here on out. The 5th year guys, 11 and 13 aren't going turn this around in a year or 2.

The clock is ticking for those NHL draft picks. They don’t have time to set around and watch this coaching staff continue to be portal u. BB keeps saying that their all team first guys but we may find out that some or all of have to look out for their future hope of signing Pro. This coaching staff has no forward thinking skills. Can’t see past the tips of their noses. 

• Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, jk said:

Didn't UND go on an amazing, and fairly shocking with Sanderson out, second-half run last year to win the league?  Unless I dreamed it, I honestly don't know what you're talking about.

And ran out of gas once the playoffs arrived. Looked very average during the NCHC first round series, then couldn't buy a goal after that. White banners are great, but true greatness is measured with green banners. And I think last year was the tail end of a great run that is now over.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

And ran out of gas once the playoffs arrived. Looked very average during the NCHC first round series, then couldn't buy a goal after that. White banners are great, but true greatness is measured with green banners. And I think last year was the tail end of a great run that is now over.

I was responding to: 

"Same thing happened last year.  Instead of getting better in the second half we seem to be getting worse."

That is patently untrue.  No one is happy with this season, but we don't need to revert to falsehoods.

35 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Forget NIL money find some cash to buy Berry out, time to move on before we are the Michigan tech/Wisconsin of the Nchc 

Hypothetically speaking. Who are you going to replace him with? IIRC he has like 3 years left on his contract. That's a lot of money to buy out. There's' a good chance that you could lose a good share of the incoming recruits that his staff recruited. There's some highly talented kids coming in, too. I am just asking. 

57 minutes ago, jk said:

I'd say any fifth year guy on any team is solid, not great.  If they were anything more, they wouldn't still be playing in college.  There're varying approaches in the league.  SC has 5 fifth-year players, none great, and they're a beast of a team.  Denver has none, and is also very good.  

Also, not that they've been great, but only two forwards on the team have scored more than 19, 10 or 28. 

How much ice time are the two 5th years getting? How old are they comparable to others? I sure hope they would be in the top 1/2 in goals / points. Who on the team wouldn’t with their opportunities. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Siouxfancrazy92 said:

The clock is ticking for those NHL draft picks. They don’t have time to set around and watch this coaching staff continue to be portal u. BB keeps saying that their all team first guys but we may find out that some or all of have to look out for their future hope of signing Pro. This coaching staff has no forward thinking skills. Can’t see past the tips of their noses. 

If we're talking about the forwards here, there's not one forward on the roster from the portal, so not sure that 18, 29 and 26 would be worried about being replaced by the portal.

Also, just wondering, do you truly think the coaches aren't always considering the impact on future teams?  I'm sure they have a pretty good idea what the roster looks like for each of the next four years, with some question marks.

Also, this place has always been about how you play.  Skate or sit.  Draft position didn't matter.  Look at Tychonic.  But now that the coaches apply that in a way that limits some of the forum darlings, despite being consistent for decades going back to Blais, it's a problem.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Melvin said:

Hypothetically speaking. Who are you going to replace him with? IIRC he has like 3 years left on his contract. That's a lot of money to buy out. There's' a good chance that you could lose a good share of the incoming recruits that his staff recruited. There's some highly talented kids coming in, too. I am just asking. 

So we let the program sink because we are afraid we will lose recruits? We keep playing like this recuits will be a non issue. How will it look if we lose some talented players because we play 5th year or portal players over young players we recruited ?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, jk said:

If we're talking about the forwards here, there's not one forward on the roster from the portal, so not sure that 18, 29 and 26 would be worried about being replaced by the portal.

Also, just wondering, do you truly think the coaches aren't always considering the impact on future teams?  I'm sure they have a pretty good idea what the roster looks like for each of the next four years, with some question marks.

Also, this place has always been about how you play.  Skate or sit.  Draft position didn't matter.  Look at Tychonic.  But now that the coaches apply that in a way that limits some of the forum darlings, despite being consistent for decades going back to Blais, it's a problem.

I don’t think the issue is being replaced by portal players but leaving for more playing time with other programs. 

1 hour ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Wondering what happens to players when they get here, Johnson, James , McLaughlin , and others were awesome players in juniors the they get here and get worse , maybe trying that round hole square peg thing. You can’t even spin this , this coaching staff does not develop players at all. Time for a fresh start IMHO. 

To be fair there were players who were great in juniors and weren't here under Hakstol and Blais as well.

1 minute ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

So we let the program sink because we are afraid we will lose recruits? We keep playing like this recuits will be a non issue. How will it look if we lose some talented players because we play 5th year or portal players over young players we recruited ?

Some of the players you speak of aren't performing. Johnson has been a train wreck every time he's played. Costantini has been invisible, he should keep playing? IIRC wasn't Kunz hurt at the beginning of the season? He's been hit or miss. Mostly miss. The portal players on D have all been better than Johnson, Sidorski and Farmer have been pretty solid. 

3 minutes ago, AJS said:

How much ice time are the two 5th years getting? How old are they comparable to others? I sure hope they would be in the top 1/2 in goals / points. Who on the team wouldn’t with their opportunities. 

I'm not saying they're great players.  They're not even here to score.  They're here to play late in tight games, like last night.  Despite his feeling bad about the GWG last night, Senden's guy did not get his stick on the puck.  There's nothing you can do about a hockey bounce.

As for how old they are compared to others, you ask that as though suggesting it confers an advantage.  Hello?!  That's the whole point of bringing them back.  It's to your advantage.  It hasn't worked out, so we can pick at every little thing, but 19 and 10 being back is far down on the list of reasons for this year's slide.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jk said:

It hasn't worked out, so we can pick at every little thing, but 19 and 10 being back is far down on the list of reasons for this year's slide.

Gavin Hain played pretty well this weekend. Sended scored UND's only goal last night. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Tychonick would be a top 4 Dman on this team. 

Your opinion.  He'd be no higher than five, in mine.  And in his fifth year.  Wonderful tools, but not able to figure out the defensive zone.  It was obvious right away.