SiouxSports.com Forum

Lunatics @ hawks Saturday thread

gfhockey

1 hour ago, Irish said:

But what about our Culture that Berry talks about and recruits for?

I have a feeling if our culture is as strong as he leads one to believe, we wouldn't be in the predicament we are in right now.  They had the benefit of impressing on the players from St. Cloud's example last year, that returning players don't mean anything if you don't put in the effort and time to improve.  Obviously, this team thinks it can play when they want, and how they want without repercussions.   We have seen them play hard at times, along with playing the right way, but it has been very inconsistent.  The other part of culture is being accountable to the team, and with the stupid penalties by Kleven and Moore, we see that hasn't been evident.  Kleven's game misconduct basically said to the rest of the team that it was game over being behind by two late in the second period, and by his actions he may have not only cost us that game, but with his presence on Saturday that outcome might have been different as well.   If culture meant anything he would sit Friday's game this week as well, to send a message that it is "team first", and selfish actions aren't part of our culture. 

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, tnt said:

I have a feeling if our culture is as strong as he leads one to believe, we wouldn't be in the predicament we are in right now.  They had the benefit of impressing on the players from St. Cloud's example last year, that returning players doesn't mean anything if you don't put in the effort and time to improve.  Obviously, this team thinks it can play when they want, and how they want without repercussions.   We have seen them play hard at times, along with playing the right way, but it has been very inconsistent.  The other part of culture is being accountable to the team, and with the stupid penalties by Kleven and Moore, we see that hasn't been evident.  Kleven's game misconduct basically said to the rest of the team that it was game over being behind by two late in the second period, and by his actions he may have not only cost us that game, but with his presence on Saturday that outcome might have been different as well.   If culture meant anything he would sit Friday's game this week as well, to send a message that it is "team first", and selfish actions aren't part of our culture. 

Berry doesn’t have it in him to bench 25 and sit him in the stands. Remember, last year, he dressed for a game and stood on the bench, the whole time as punishment.  My guess only to be a security blanket in case things get out of hand that game, and they were going to lose he would’ve played.   

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

One could expect 9 and 22 to not be 200 foot college players right away in their first year. 17 you should expect that. Call me crazy but watching our centers so far and going with @The Sicatoka getter setter scorer concept....21 9 17. Could then go 18 22 10. Then 8 26 20. 29 27 19/28. 21 has the speed and skill IMO to potentially play with those two plus he has a physical and a defensive presence 22 doesn't give you.

Forward? Looking to who'll have a slot next year:

27 centering 9, 17: 27 should get a ton of "trailer" and "grease" goals, and some defense on that line finally 
8 centering 26, 21: take some of the physical load off 8 (if you've been watching he's been banging hard out there) 
18 centering 20, 29: put 18 back at center, tell 29 "hit or sit", if he doesn't 22 moves up
11 centering 13, 22: 22 would be the effective extra skater or in-game line switch (for 9, 26, or 29), take some pressure off him

Sit: 10, 19, 5, 28. <- there, I said it

11 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Forward? Looking to who'll have a slot next year:

27 centering 9, 17: 27 should get a ton of "trailer" and "grease" goals, and some defense on that line finally 
8 centering 26, 21: take some of the physical load off 8 (if you've been watching he's been banging hard out there) 
18 centering 20, 29: put 18 back at center, tell 29 "hit or sit", if he doesn't 22 moves up
11 centering 13, 22: 22 would be the effective extra skater or in-game line switch (for 9, 26, or 29), take some pressure off him

Sit: 10, 19, 5, 28. <- there, I said it

I'll take 21 over 27 every night

1 hour ago, Siouxfancrazy92 said:

This team has a realistic possibility of losing multiple NHL draft picks to the transfer portal.  

Why does it matter that we lose NHL draft picks? A lot of players are drafted and don’t even sniff the NHL. We‘ve players come here and no be drafted and later on they parlay that into a pretty good NHL career (Rowney, caggiula, stecher, smith, Blake).

41 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

Why does it matter that we lose NHL draft picks? A lot of players are drafted and don’t even sniff the NHL. We‘ve players come here and no be drafted and later on they parlay that into a pretty good NHL career (Rowney, caggiula, stecher, smith, Blake).

You are correct about draft picks - however it would matter if we lose many of our good young recruits so we can continue playing like we have been in this cluster of a season.

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

I'll take 21 over 27 every night

His name hasn't been brought up much if at all but I feel 27 may be one of the biggest disappointments this year. Yes I know he is more of a 200 foot pk type center but there was a good 6 week stretch last year where he may have been our best forward on both sides of the puck and hasn't shown any of that offensive upside this year. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Siouxfancrazy92 said:

This team has a realistic possibility of losing multiple NHL draft picks to the transfer portal.  

Next year doesn't look any better so no better time to clean house.  I said it in another thread this program needs a Coach Prime to come on and literally clean house from top to bottom.

14 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

The frustrated reactions after Saturday’s game were noticeable.  Also saw several players smacking their sticks on the ice or dasher.  

It looks like a lot of individuals out there right now - every man for himself.  

What was the old saying about the Boston Red Sox, 25 players and 25 different cabs?  This squad might not be too far off.

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'd like to hear about the old Hakstol post game grading (1, 2, or 3).

Frankly, I'd like to see it after the games this weekend. 

I remember, once upon a time  Hakstol was so pissed off at the team's performance that he held a practice right after the game. 

no glue=divided locker room

The results have spoken for themselves. 

This all started with roster moves last March, before there was any communication to the eligible returning players, on what was going to happen. That did not go over very well....the man in charge may have grossly miscalculated how things were going to turn out inside the walls of the Ralph. His "culture" has been put to the test this season and things have not gone well. 

11 minutes ago, BusinessSoot said:

This all started with roster moves last March, before there was any communication to the eligible returning players, on what was going to happen. That did not go over very well....the man in charge may have grossly miscalculated how things were going to turn out inside the walls of the Ralph. His "culture" has been put to the test this season and things have not gone well. 

The portal is going to affect rosters for years to come, for every team, not just UND.
The players need to realize that, if they haven't already.

The problem of just scrapping this season and getting young guys in to prep for next year is that there is still a lot of hockey left to jump up in the standings. If we end where we are or worse, future recruits will see that and the optics are bad, therefore keeping us bad in the future. They have the talent to move up and it’s time to switch lines up to make a move because what we’ve been trying isn’t working.

On a different note that I can’t seem to get past. The one time Berry should have followed his season-long game plan is changing goalies in-game. We’ve seen goalies get yanked a dozen times this year to send a message... All. season. Long. But going into the 3rd Saturday when we were hanging on by a thread, Berry keeps in the rookie against the #1 offense  in the country instead of throwing in DeRidder who had experience in big games. That shows a complete lack of feel for what was happening in that game and what his players can handle. Completely wrong move that was mind-boggling. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, hockeytherapy13 said:

... Berry keeps in the rookie against the #1 offense  in the country instead of throwing in DeRidder who had experience in big games. That shows a complete lack of feel for what was happening in that game and what his players can handle. Completely wrong move that was mind-boggling. 

Those around me thought there was something wrong with Cheese late and that he should've been pulled. Heck, DeRidder was stretching during one of the late third breaks. They were sure he was going in. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, hockeytherapy13 said:

The problem of just scrapping this season and getting young guys in to prep for next year is that there is still a lot of hockey left to jump up in the standings. 

Dude, it’s the 3rd week in January.  This team is clearly packing up the road jerseys for the first round of the playoffs.