SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Football Season

Midwestern Hawk

Big improvements on O and D line this year.

WR room has a lot of great looking athletes.

Run surprisingly good.

QB statisically awesome no matter how you slice it and dice it.

Boise and SDSU were not going to happen barring perfect day.

NIU the only real let down.

Let’s get positive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ron Mexico said:

Big improvements on O and D line this year.

WR room has a lot of great looking athletes.

Run surprisingly good.

QB statisically awesome no matter how you slice it and dice it.

Boise and SDSU were not going to happen barring perfect day.

NIU the only real let down.

Let’s get positive.

I think many would argue with that line.. Tommy has not been good in big games this year.  In the NDSU game all he had to do was hand the ball off which he did very well.. Against bad teams he has had very good statistics.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wheelsup said:

I think many would argue with that line.. Tommy has not been good in big games this year.  In the NDSU game all he had to do was hand the ball off which he did very well.. Against bad teams he has had very good statistics.

He hasn’t been good against any decent team the last 2 years. Look at stats vs Neb, UNI, SDSU, ndsu, Weber, Boise, SIU. It’s ugly. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Kab said:

4 games left

time to see what Jerry can do in games 

what are coaches afraid of?

Why would Danny jump over Feeney to put in a true Freshman?  By the way the next two games are ones that I would like to see a lot of Feeney in, should be pretty straightforward games and I assume the offensive line has a little adjustment to make with a left handed QB.

What I expect to happen though is Tommy looks decent in the next two games and so we dont actualy find anything out about Feeney.

Why would Danny jump over Feeney to put in a true Freshman?  By the way the next two games are ones that I would like to see a lot of Feeney in, should be pretty straightforward games and I assume the offensive line has a little adjustment to make with a left handed QB.

What I expect to happen though is Tommy looks decent in the next two games and so we dont actualy find anything out about Feeney.

Why?

f7c6462d-d533-419d-be14-ee9d60005d4a.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GoodGood said:

He hasn’t been good against any decent team the last 2 years. Look at stats vs Neb, UNI, SDSU, ndsu, Weber, Boise, SIU. It’s ugly. 

I generally agree with this although I think he has regressed this year substantially over last year.  Seems like he is playing with zero confidence in big games.  On Saturday he was turtling up before the rush would even get home.  Last year i felt even though he didnt always do well that he played with confidence and looked to run out of a bad situations..  Also, to be clear I have zero QB analysis skills other than what i have learned on the internet watching football while drinking.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, wheelsup said:

If Tommy struggles at all the next two weeks and we are in trouble 

10 minutes ago, wheelsup said:

You can’t find out anything about the backup QB in the last 3 minutes of a game

what can you find out in practice when the D can’t hit the QB

just start someone else , you might piss off  a few but what we doing ain’t working 

3 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

my co-worker made it...but yes.

Feeney hasnt even gotten in yet and you already prefer the next backup..  Im hoping they both are awesome.  My guess is that we all need to hope that Tommy figures his !@#$ out this year as barring injury or complete meltdown we are stuck.  Danny has had multiple opportunities to at least start to head in a different direction and so far hasnt been willing to even start looking.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, wheelsup said:

I generally agree with this although I think he has regressed this year substantially over last year.  Seems like he is playing with zero confidence in big games.  On Saturday he was turtling up before the rush would even get home.  Last year i felt even though he didnt always do well that he played with confidence and looked to run out of a bad situations..  Also, to be clear I have zero QB analysis skills other than what i have learned on the internet watching football while drinking.

I agree with this completely. I’ve been a huge Tommy guy but I’m not sure anymore. I know in an interview earlier in the year he mentioned he’s coming back next year. Not sure that’s ideal. 

Feeney hasnt even gotten in yet and you already prefer the next backup..  Im hoping they both are awesome.  My guess is that we all need to hope that Tommy figures his !@#$ out this year as barring injury or complete meltdown we are stuck.  Danny has had multiple opportunities to at least start to head in a different direction and so far hasnt been willing to even start looking.

yes...kaminski is the future so might as well get some reps under his belt for when he starts game 1 next year in ames....

2 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Coaches aren’t “afraid “.  
There is no reason to move a true freshman ahead of other players who, when given the opportunity, have excelled. 
As a coach, you don’t do that to players who have earned the opportunity and have performed well when given the chance. This isn’t the time to experiment with an unproven freshman. If our staff do something that stupid, they will lose backups at multiple positions who have been working their way into the lineup. 
The fiasco at UNI was a failure at every level.
Coaching, obviously the buck stops there. Take you pick of where we stumbled. 
Most players, who are any good, take responsibility for their mistakes. They don’t blame the coaches, they don’t blame the travel, the weather, etc. 

We collectively laid an egg across the board. The win against the Bison doesn’t lead to an emotional let down if you want to be successful. It should have been a huge emotional boost knowing you dominated one of the better teams in the FCS. The responsibility falls on the coaches, team captains, and the players. 

Defensively we missed tackles, missed assignments, over ran plays and allowed receivers to be wide open. Most of that is on the players. No one coaches them to play like that. In fact, players from HS on up are coached not to make those mistakes. 

Special teams failed to make a 34 yd FG and punted horribly. I watched the game with a former All-Pro punter and he didn’t expect 32-36 yd punts at this level. Punters at this level and above need to understand the importance of getting your team out of a jam or putting your opponent in a hole. 

Offensively we missed blocks, dropped passes, turned the ball over twice, missed open receivers and didn’t get through our reads quickly enough. 

This team has the ability to right the ship. They need to accept the responsibility for their poor play. I would have changed QB’s at start of or early in second half to see if Feeney could have provided the spark the team needed. If not they could have evaluated his ability under adverse conditions with the team not playing well to see if that can provide an ability to stretch the field. We need to win out to assure a playoff spot. This team and staff need to see that as an opportunity to prove we are moving the program forward and can play at a championship level. 

I agree with your last statements

thats what I mean by what of they afraid of to make that move in the 2nd half.

sometimes a change at that point would light a fire under the other players behind 

I hope they have conversations with players that if they aren’t getting the job done in game changes will happen 

coach preached depth all year, let’s see it 

• Upvote 4

17 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

yes...kaminski is the future so might as well get some reps under his belt for when he starts game 1 next year in ames....

I have assumed Kaminski is very good based on his HS play which is no better than Feeney or Romfo.  Feeney and Romfo have both played well at this level thus far. Kaminski will get his chance. If he is as good as you think he is, then I would wonder why the Badgers wouldn’t have gone after him. They could use help at QB. That doesn’t mean he won’t become our starter but if he is so good he should be named a starter ahead of 2 proven winners who have already played well at this level, then I’m surprised Wisconsin, Minnesota, or Iowa didn’t go after him. They all have mediocre QB’s right now. 

No one has yet earned the starting job for game one next fall. I have watched all three throw to receivers in practice/warmups and I haven’t seen anything that would make me think it’s a done deal. It’s a discussion for a later date. 

• Upvote 1