SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Football Season

Midwestern Hawk

23 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Pretty clear I want what several others want … ability to win big games after a decade+ of Bubba ball. Perpetual 7-4 football with occasional losing seasons in there isn’t exactly awe inspiring for this fan base (or any fan base for that matter). 

I get that but when the team isn’t performing to your (or my) expectation should you be upset when a back up leaves?  I agree with some of your comments after Saturday, disagree with this.  Your not improving on 7-4 if he’s playing and maybe the coaches were honest with him about it so best of luck to him. 

2 minutes ago, homer said:

I get that but when the team isn’t performing to your (or my) expectation should you be upset when a back up leaves?  I agree with some of your comments after Saturday, disagree with this.  Your not improving on 7-4 if he’s playing and maybe the coaches were honest with him about it so best of luck to him. 

I think everyone is still sore about what happened in Brookings.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, homer said:

I get that but when the team isn’t performing to your (or my) expectation should you be upset when a back up leaves?  I agree with some of your comments after Saturday, disagree with this.  You’re not improving on 7-4 if he’s playing and maybe the coaches were honest with him about it so best of luck to him. 

The back-up leaving is not a major concern, and I never wrote that it should be.

Perhaps the culture strike that the recent losses have had (enticing players to leave) is worth mentioning, and it’s never good to lose depth, but this is more of an issue with the overall direction of the program. It’s stale, not making any progress, doing the same thing season after season; beating the teams it is supposed to beat, and not beating the teams it is not supposed to beat. That means 7-4 seasons year after year (sometimes worse). There is a glaring inability to compete against top teams in this conference. Road success has also been poor. Proves the lights are too bright for this staff; need new leadership to take the next step. New facilities won’t change how this staff prepares the team for big games, especially in- game management/coaching; what they’re currently doing is clearly not championship caliber. 

7 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Tell us more about how Nielson has done in Vermillion at a starting pay of 300K per year and increasing every year..........

32-42 record at USD. Not good. UND still has struggled mightily against his teams in Vermillion, but I am in no way advocating he should be hired at UND.

Unless something changes significantly from now to season's end, I believe we'll have final evidence that Bubba is at his ceiling. If he loves the program as much as he says he'll step away to a "Bill Walsh" role. 

It's no disrespect or dishonor. It's no different that RT stepping out for Dale to carry on. 

• Like 3

Sickota…not sure I totally agree with you. RT handed Dale a motivated, well disciplined team that was committed to play their best for UND. Now with the transfer portal and NIL issues, much of that has changed. So, what a future coach will get is much different and it is no one’s “fault.” Just changes in society and college sports.

33 minutes ago, Mama Sue said:

Sickota…not sure I totally agree with you. RT handed Dale a motivated, well disciplined team that was committed to play their best for UND. Now with the transfer portal and NIL issues, much of that has changed. So, what a future coach will get is much different and it is no one’s “fault.” Just changes in society and college sports.

All coaches in all sports have to deal with "changes in society and college sports". Some are successful, some are not. If Bubba can't be successful in the current environment, we need to find someone who can.

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

He's the last guy I'd call a snake oil salesman... lol.  I'd be ready to move on though, to answer your question.

Ya know, if you think a bit harder, there’s actually something to this. But either way, time to move on. Bottomline results aren’t there.

Tommy is a very solid FCS QB. Tommy's a winner. His receiving core outside of #1.......meh. His offensive line.....meh. They can't move the line of scrimmage to consistently run the ball and are at best average at pass protection. His RB group.....meh.  Play calling (most of the time)..... meh. A Q run out of the wildcat is your 2nd play vs SDSU? Lots of issues on the O side of the ball besides Tommy.

Just now, Oxbow6 said:

Tommy is a very solid FCS QB. Tommy's a winner. His receiving core outside of #1.......meh. His offensive line.....meh. They can't move the line of scrimmage to consistently run the ball and are at best average at pass protection. His RB group.....meh.  Play calling (most of the time)..... meh. A Q run out of the wildcat is your 2nd play vs SDSU? Lots of issues on the O side of the ball besides Tommy.

Agreed.  Seems UND does weird plays fairly frequently to mess up good drives.  Other than plays based off the QB sneak, I'm not in favor of running any Q wildcat plays ever again.  Success rate is bad, and he isn't a fast enough runner.  Tommy needs to throw downfield more often - the quick screen game doesn't work against good teams when they are expecting that.