SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Football Season

Midwestern Hawk

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Yeah, hindsight is 20/20. If we all knew what was going to happen 20 years ago, a lot of decisions would have been different. And I mean a lot. …

How could the decision makers NOT know that UND would have to eventually follow the XDSUs into FCS?

And how could they NOT know that would put UND way behind them? You would think Roger Thomas would have been screaming to not let UND get left behind, instead…

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, zonadub said:

How could the decision makers NOT know that UND would have to eventually follow the XDSUs into FCS?

And how could they NOT know that would put UND way behind them? You would think Roger Thomas would have been screaming to not let UND get left behind, instead…

as a competitor i'm sure roger was for it but i think it's the presidents call?  who was it then...kupchella?  or the marine pushup guy?

28 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

As a whole, we’ve gotten much better and stronger. But we don’t have the top end skill guys that could keep us in games like we used to. 

When was “ we used to “ ?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, zonadub said:

To be fair, I know for a fact that there were NDSU alumni that thought what they were doing back then didn't make sense.  I think it was safe to think that a DI move could be regarded as a mistake.  With UND already playing the DI sport it wanted (hockey), I understand the cautiousness.  If NDSU didn't find any takers to partner up with, then status quo in the NCC.

What probably should have happened, is once NDSU got SDSU on board, UND (and I'm sure USD) should have been, "wait a minute, let's all four do this."

It's hard to admit that you were wrong.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Yup, Bob Nielson, current USD head coach, who beat NDSU on Saturday 9/30/23.

People are lauding the same guy all of you would have ran out of town years ago? 16-21 at WIU with one winning season out of three. 35-43 at USD with two winning seasons out of seven

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

As a whole, we’ve gotten much better and stronger. But we don’t have the top end skill guys that could keep us in games like we used to. 

I’d argue it’s not only skill players, it’s the line of scrimmage players also not up to par. NDSU, Weber State, and SDSU all ground and pound UND of late. Also, it goes beyond the players’ talent and speed. The players aren’t fired up or prepared to win when it comes to big games over and over again … who does that fall on?

2 hours ago, UND08 said:

Disagree on the tailgating...I was there on Saturday...it was pretty good.  Throw in the fact that it was on campus and not in a parking lot overlooking the interstate and it felt like a better environment.  Just my opinion though I guess...

Also...I significantly disagree on the building.  Other than Montana I'm not sure I've been to a nicer setup.  Dykhouse Stadium might not have all the bells and whistles, but I thought it was well laid out and great for watching football (sightlines and what not).  Also...the fact that they have their stadium/lockerroom/practice facility basically connected is a game changer that we won't have.  If they catch lightning in a bottle and decide to go the FBS route someday (not saying they will)...they could easily (physically speaking...it still costs money of course) have a 27k facility that would be G5 ready with a simple expansion of the visitor side.  They are the ONLY Dakota school that could make that happen.

And yes...I get the downside of outdoor football.  Going G5 would in theory help that situation though.  I might be old school...but I'd take their facilities over ours any day of the week.

Your last point I am in 100% agreement with though!  It's all in what we want to be.  Do we want a great football program?  Or do we just want to be top 25% of FCS and behind our closest peers?  I'd honestly would like to know an actual (not implied) answer to that question...I'll give us some credit on facilities...and acknowledge that the "want" comes with a steep price tag that somebody has to pay...but it can be done...if we want it bad enough imo...

I was at both Boise State and SDSU games; Boise State with tremendously better facility than SDSU, but that is sort of apples to oranges comparison. I agree, SDSU has nice set up, but it’s not head and shoulders above UND. The true difference is late in the year when it is cold and no one wants to sit through that. During nice weather, though, outdoor football is a lot of fun. 

we all can agree, it starts with objectives and goals, does UND want to be a championship football program or not?

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

bad facilities are both places........

So wait, UND doesn't (yet) have facilities that are on par with Fargo, Brookings or Boise, yet the staff should all be fired because we lost to two of the three and haven't beat the other one in quite a while?

UND literally two calendar years ago had a locker room that was on the brink of being condemned. And they still don't have the new permanent ones done at the moment. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

So wait, UND doesn't (yet) have facilities that are on par with Fargo, Brookings or Boise, yet the staff should all be fired because we lost to two of the three and haven't beat the other one in quite a while?

UND literally two calendar years ago had a locker room that was on the brink of being condemned. And they still don't have the new permanent ones done at the moment. 

Not sure anyone would say that UND’s facilities are that far behind NDSU and SDSU, especially with current Pollard Center and certainly when Pollard phase II and Memorial Village are complete.

When the new locker rooms are constructed, I’m sure the players will suddenly start playing better against NDSU and SDSU…

I get it; the hope is we recruit better players, but will those players start playing well in big games? Or will crucial mistakes reoccur … as has been the case for years. 

ongoing waiting game with no sense of urgency, as per usual. 

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

#daybyday

20 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

#decadebydecade

19 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

How many more will we loose before season end

Quite the reaction to a backup OL who's playing behind an underclassman. 

Wish him the best, looks like he felt he had a better path to more playing time elsewhere. Not concerned about the OL and depth there. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, homer said:

Complain about losing……complain about the players playing and losing leaving.   Which way do you want it??

Pretty clear I want what several others want … ability to win big games after a decade+ of Bubba ball. Perpetual 7-4 football with occasional losing seasons in there isn’t exactly awe inspiring for this fan base (or any fan base for that matter). 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Pretty clear I want what several others want … ability to win big games after a decade+ of Bubba ball. Perpetual 7-4 football with occasional losing seasons in there isn’t exactly awe inspiring for this fan base (or any fan base for that matter). 

To be fair to Bubba, I don't think he has had all the tools he needs to make this program a perennial FCS contender. That being said, I don't know if he is capable of taking us to the next level, new facilities or not.

The program reached a ceiling under Roger Thomas.....and Dale Lennon took us to the next level. It may be time for someone else to take us to that next level (seeded in FCS playoffs, trips to Frisco, FCS titles). I believe the sample size is now big enough to conclude that Bubba has reached the ceiling on how far he can take us as a program.

I really hope I am wrong, but I don't think I am.

• Upvote 1