SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Football Season

Midwestern Hawk

20 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

1) No, actually, my argument seems to go way over your head. 

2) Schlossman’s article argues UND needs to beat good teams (Boise, SDSU and/or NDSU) in order to get a seed and play more home playoff games. It doesn’t mention 2-2 vs 3-3. Mathematically, 2-2 can still allow UND to get to 9-2, but probability-wise, that won’t happen. UND will almost certainly go 8-3 at best, and if the 3 losses are to Boise, SDSU, and NDSU, then there won’t be a seed and, as such, will be less playoff games. 

So it is reasonable to not throw the season in the trashcan if we start out 2-2 whereas I will be quite disappointed if we start 3-3.”

-- I adamantly disagree with this. It’s not about possibility, but rather probability. UND needs to knock off either SDSU or Boise. Otherwise, beating both NDSU and @UNI will be nearly impossible, for several reasons, including loss of confidence due to 2 game losing streak early in season.

3) as for “In order to get a home playoff seed we need to start knocking off teams that we would have historically lost to.”, that’s the point I made well in advance of this article coming out, Schlossman’s point aligns with mine, and now you’re coming out acting like I “struggle” with the very point I originally made.

4) bottomline, we as UND fans all want UND to start winning big games consistently and ultimately give us the opportunity to watch home playoff games and eventually travel to Frisco in January. I won’t support an argument that tries to make light of UND losing 2 games in a row, including 1 of those games being a conference game. 

You are right.. the season is over if we start 2-2.. even if we beat NDSU and run the table.. smh

It’s foolish to even think anything other than a 4-0 start could allow a successful season.  If we lose on the road to the preseason favorite in the mountain west and/or the overwhelming favorite in FCS the season is over.. fire bubba.. kostich and the rest of them.  There is no hope of a good season! SMH.. 

These black/white, lack of any nuance arguments u make are really old.  I’ll continue to believe 2-2 still gives us the opportunity to have a great year.. to beat NDSU and a deep playoff run. As I said earlier.. I’ll have a different opinion if we start out 3-3.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, wheelsup said:

You are right.. the season is over if we start 2-2.. even if we beat NDSU and run the table.. smh

It’s foolish to even think anything other than a 4-0 start could allow a successful season.  If we lose on the road to the preseason favorite in the mountain west and/or the overwhelming favorite in FCS the season is over.. fire bubba.. kostich and the rest of them.  There is no hope of a good season! SMH.. 

These black/white, lack of any nuance arguments u make are really old.  I’ll continue to believe 2-2 still gives us the opportunity to have a great year.. to beat NDSU and a deep playoff run. As I said earlier.. I’ll have a different opinion if we start out 3-3.

Again, it’s about probability, not possibility. I’m not arguing that 2-2 rules out 9-2 from a possibility standpoint, because, well, that’s just not factual; but it’s not probable UND will go 9-2 if they start 2-2. They likely go 8-3 best case scenario, then, which would make things challenging in playoffs. At this point, let’s just see what happens. Arguing with you and others is overall pointless. It’s about what UND does on the field. Hopefully they’re prepared, mentally and physically. Hopefully Bubba has yielded his best squad yet, but only time will tell. As I posted earlier, I would be absolutely thrilled with 9-2 as a final record, but starting 2-2 is unlikely to accomplish that.

I’ll continue to believe 2-2 still gives us the opportunity to have a great year.. to beat NDSU and a deep playoff run. As I said earlier.. I’ll have a different opinion if we start out 3-3.”

— UND won’t have a deep playoff run if they can’t beat Boise and/or SDSU. 

18 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

beat 1 or the Big3 this year and we'll talk

I love this and mosly agree. The problem, however, with our fan base, and the pollsters for that matter, is that once WE beat these teams, their stature is diminished in everyone’s eyes.  Simply because it was us. The big win eventually becomes just a win. 

I see the same dynamic playing out in recruiting. Once another team gets someone, that player suddenly becomes a pre-season all american in the eyes of our fan base. When we win a recruiting battle and get a scholarship player, we immediately question what other offers they had, did the other programs back off and pull their offers, are they bringing a lingering injury with them, are they an academic or behavioral hard case, or whether theiy’re even worthy of a DI program. 

Sometimes we are our own worst critics  With friends like us… who needs AC fans? :p

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

I love this and mosly agree. The problem, however, with our fan base, and the pollsters for that matter, is that once WE beat these teams, their stature is diminished in everyone’s eyes.  Simply because it was us. The big win eventually becomes just a win. 

I see the same dynamic playing out in recruiting. Once another team gets someone, that player suddenly becomes a pre-season all american in the eyes of our fan base. When we win a recruiting battle and get a scholarship player, we immediately question what other offers they had, did the other programs back off and pull their offers, are they bringing a lingering injury with them, are they an academic or behavioral hard case, or whether theiy’re even worthy of a DI program. 

Sometimes we are our own worst critics  With friends like us… who needs AC fans? :p

No, you’re overthinking it. We just need to win. 0.500-0.600 Bubba ball is not good enough. That simple. 

On 3/27/2023 at 4:59 PM, UND-FB-FAN said:

let’s not ignore the ball carrier position because the offensive line is the most important unit to the run game …

Beyond Smith, the RB room is subpar right now. Red has the next most talent, but he’s split out and not a pure RB. he  definitely needs to get the ball a ton though.

need two transfers, not just one. Ziebarth has some potential, but not likely to be more than a 5 carry/game back for his career. 

More crappy takes but UND Football Expert….. I can’t wait for him to eat crow!

On 3/26/2023 at 7:06 PM, Sioux>Bison said:

Are we really that thin at RB? Other than a bowling ball short down back I’m pretty confident with the guys we have. Ziebarth and Smith can handle the workload. Skokna and red bring another scat look. Depth would be nice but we don’t need a guy to step in to start day 1 like hoosman. The Oline is more important for the run game.

My expert take from back in March………correct like always!

3 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

My expert take from back in March………correct like always!

3 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Man this is a lot of crow…..

Correct like always! Ha that’s a good one.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while! Congrats on holding a grudge and showing off your lone nut ! (figuratively and literally speaking)

I’ll be the first to admit I was wrong and will be definitely happy if Ziebarth can continue his success against teams with scholarship players, namely big games against Boise State, South Dakota State, and North Dakota State. Non-scholly Drake is a damn low bar to set, even for you @Sioux>Bison

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Correct like always! Ha that’s a good one.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while! Congrats on holding a grudge and showing off your lone nut ! (figuratively and literally speaking)

I’ll be the first to admit I was wrong and will be definitely happy if Ziebarth can continue his success against teams with scholarship players, namely big games against Boise State, South Dakota State, and North Dakota State. Non-scholly Drake is a damn low bar to set, even for you @Sioux>Bison

Sorry for having faith in our own players. It’s not like we haven’t seen him play before, so he has to have a big game against the blue bloods otherwise he isn’t a good RB? 

crow isn’t tasting so good or what?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Sorry for having faith in our own players. It’s not like we haven’t seen him play before, so he has to have a big game against the blue bloods otherwise he isn’t a good RB? 

crow isn’t tasting so good or what?

You’ll be okay. Sample size of 1 isn’t something to get too excited about. There’s a lot of football left. Hope everything goes well - I’m rooting for him (and the entire team) despite this ridiculous narrative you’re painting. Quoting posts from March ‘23 … ha ha! Glad I live rent free in your head.

• Upvote 2

112 yards on 7 carries.  16yds/carry. Take out the 79 yd run.

33 yards on 6 carries.  5.5 yds/carry.

Small sample size but impressive numbers.

The video correct answer no potatoes correct answer but it's potato bowl.  He might be working on the NIL angle. Simplot Looking at you.