SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS playoffs week 1: UND @ Weber State

UND-FB-FAN

43 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Can anyone recall at any level of FB a team that gave up 300+ yards on the ground and still won??

Don’t follow FB statistics as a general rule, but that aside I realize the overwhelming answer is no. I’d like to see one of the XDSU’s defensive assistants as DC in Grand Forks. Don’t follow their programs so I don’t know names, but those two were the top defenses we played. 

8 hours ago, Dustin said:

Don’t follow FB statistics as a general rule, but that aside I realize the overwhelming answer is no. I’d like to see one of the XDSU’s defensive assistants as DC in Grand Forks. Don’t follow their programs so I don’t know names, but those two were the top defenses we played. 

Just won’t happen. Bubba is too stubborn and loyal to the 3-4. Goes back to Roger Thomas and Dale Lennon. It’s all Bubba knows. Bubba is in the twilight years of his career; he won’t learn and implement anything else.

Bottomline, coaches and schemes will be staying the same. Is it the best strategy? Of course not, it’s lazy; but the 7-5 record and playoff berth will give them and Chaves the justification to do it. Keeping everything the same is also the cheapest strategy, therefore it’s most likely to happen. 

Best hope is an extensive overhaul via the transfer portal, because currently the talent level of the roster is not good enough to win the conference, and certainly not good enough to dream about winning an FCS title. Again, despite the crap I get from clueless posters, the roster has too many DII players on it. Beyond scheme and Xs and Os, if Bubba and his staff can’t secure better players, then recruiting is also an issue for this staff.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Just won’t happen. Bubba is too stubborn and loyal to the 3-4. Goes back to Roger Thomas and Dale Lennon. It’s all Bubba knows. Bubba is in the twilight years of his career; he won’t learn and implement anything else.

Bottomline, coaches and schemes will be staying the same. Is it the best strategy? Of course not, it’s lazy; but the 7-5 record and playoff berth will give them and Chaves the justification to do it. Keeping everything the same is also the cheapest strategy, therefore it’s most likely to happen. 

Best hope is an extensive overhaul via the transfer portal, because currently the talent level of the roster is not good enough to win the conference, and certainly not good enough to dream about winning an FCS title. Again, despite the crap I get from clueless posters, the roster has too many DII players on it. Beyond scheme and Xs and Os, if Bubba and his staff can’t secure better players, then recruiting is also an issue for this staff.

Bingo.  One has to look no further than the 2023 commit list.  Very few with offers other than D2 schools, just one or two with offers from other MVFC teams.  I know offers aren't everything but it certainly has to make a difference if other FCS or even FBS teams are looking at these players.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

It was such an obvious pick… it was in their hands and they let it slip for some comfort food.

Could’ve had chislic (little SD cuisine reference); had the undercooked Mac and Cheese (no salt, no pepper). 

https://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/chislic-south-dakota-cubed-meat-2040861