SiouxSports.com Forum

Hobey Doper?

The Sicatoka

Dryden McKay was so afraid of Covid, and admitting he knew to be careful of what he as an athlete consumes, he decided to take a non-NSF-approved, "Facebook Pharmacy" recommended, Quercetin supplement. 

Makes sense. 

Or not. 

Somebody's got their story mixed up. 

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2022/04/18_McKay-Suspended-6-Months-.php

McKay said that the supplement was vitamin D3, which contained a trace amount of ostarine, without his knowledge.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article/hobey-baker-winner-dryden-mckay-discusses-suspension-for-banned-substance/ 

Focus zoomed in on a bottle of Quercetin, a plant-based antioxidant and anti-inflammatory ...

So which is it? 

16 hours ago, Brett0909 said:

Quercetin is a mainstream supplement. It’s common in “immune boosters”, available everywhere and not banned in any federation. And ostarine was NOT disclosed. How do we know that? It’s illegal to sell for human use stateside, labeled as a research chemical, and NOBODY would reasonably expect it to be in an immune booster sold in the US.

Yes, we now know it was contaminated (and he proved his case because he won his arbitration appeal) with something that’s illegal to sell because, but he should’ve somehow expected it and now deserves his fate? If you want to crap all over a kids phenomenal career because he took an OTC immune supplement, just in case it could help him avoid missing a once-in-a-lifetime Olympic chance, go ahead.

Just don’t expect too many people without some odd axe to grind, to agree. 

i do expect he was taking some vitamins and minerals to try to make sure he didn't get didn't sick...my take on this is with him being a goalie what good would a little extra muscle mass do him?  he's a goalie ffs....i don't think anything he took was gonna make him do the splits any quicker????

i feel bad for the young guy and hope that other "schools" don't jump on him bc he doesn't go to their school...bc the next time it could one of "ours"....

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Remember "kids" (and I know you're reading this), as Dryden McKay says:

" ... I, as an athlete, am responsible for what goes into my body." 

That applies to you too. 

If you're not sure, run it past Pooly first. ;) 

The ostarine was not listed as an ingrediant on the querecitin that he took (or vitamin D for arguments sake). I personally believe the kid. If you have a shot at the Olympics I may too be inclined to take these supplements that have been hyped to improve recovery and even prevention. The supplement samples he provided to the Olympic testing committee, they too turned up positive for the ostarine and confirmed it was not a listed ingredient.  Sure, he made a mistake, and ultimately he's responsible, but I doubt he was doing anything nefarious for enhancing his sports performance. (but hey, it's not drama unless we make it so)

• Like 2

Just now, The Sicatoka said:

He decided to take a non-NSF-approved supplement, by his own admission, knowing better, for whatever reason. 

He's paying the price for it. 

but if the offending "substance" isn't in quercetin what does it matter if it was on the bottle or not........how can you plan for that?  what if he consumed a hot dog that had some banned "substance" in it....would you say you should'nt have had that coney dawg?

3 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

but if the offending "substance" isn't in quercetin what does it matter if it was on the bottle or not........how can you plan for that?  what if he consumed a hot dog that had some banned "substance" in it....would you say you should'nt have had that coney dawg?

That's why NSF Sport testing exists. That's a higher standard than the basic supplements industry. Take something not on their cleared list and "caveat emptor". 

As I said, he decided to take a non-NSF-approved supplement, by his own admission, knowing better, for whatever reason.

1 minute ago, The Sicatoka said:

That's why NSF Sport testing exists. That's a higher standard than the basic supplements industry. 

As I said, he decided to take a non-NSF-approved supplement, by his own admission, knowing better, for whatever reason.

maybe he watches too much cnn and saw that covid-19 death counter for 18-25 year old athletes.......... :)

From the NSF Sport website:

NSF International’s global Certified for Sport® program helps athletes, dieticians, coaches and consumers make safer decisions when choosing sports supplements. The Certified for Sport® certification is the only independent third-party certification program recognized by the United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA), Major League Baseball, the National Hockey League and the Canadian Football League. Certified for Sport® is also recommended by the NFL, NBA, PGA, LPGA, CCES, CPSDA, iNADO, Ironman, NASCAR, Taylor Hooton Foundation and many other organizations seeking to mitigate the risks of contaminated dietary supplements.

Take something not NSF Sport certified and it was contaminated. I'm shocked. :silly:

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I mean, they do get sold in the same supplement. A simple Google search shows that. Again, he's paying a price for a mistake. This parsing of words for the "gotcha" moment is kinda silly. If he proved it to the USADA, I gotta believe they checked into every detail.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

It’s also possible that he’s a liar. After reading everything, I do take back my original post. Still skeptical of the situation.

Not sure how he could be a liar considering he won his appeal. That's not real common occurrence. 

• Upvote 2

On 4/19/2022 at 4:35 AM, The Sicatoka said:

So the problem isn't that he didn't listen to his coaches, trainers, and team, isn't that he didn't only take NSF approved supplements, isn't that he ended up with a banned substance at detectable levels in his system. 

No, the problem is ... he got caught? 

Not at all, but it appears you’re intentionally conflating issues to support your narrative. I’m saying lots of athletes (his peers) egregiously abuse AAS and banned substances. We know this. But our testing protocol is penalizing Dryden in spite of his proof that he was unknowingly subjected to a compound because of the manufacturer’s wrongdoing...while those peers continue benefiting from an unfair and intentional performance enhancement benefit. If you don’t see why that sucks for him as one of the only athletes being penalized and uncovers a serious flaw in how the NCAA and governing bodies enforce their drug protocols, I don’t know what to tell you. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Brett0909 said:

... he was unknowingly subjected to a compound because of the manufacturer’s wrongdoing... 

Dryden McKay admitted he knew to be careful of what he as an athlete consumes and yet by his own admission he decided to take a non-NSF-approved supplement. If he had not done that the manufacturer's actions are of no consequence.

He knew better. He made the choice. 

The cops don't stop all the speeders on Demers. But if you speed, it might be you. Don't want the ticket? Don't run the risk. 

25 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

The cops don't stop all the speeders on Demers. But if you speed, it might be you. Don't want the ticket? Don't run the risk. 

Well, in this analogy, McKay’s rental car may have had a faulty speedometer?  :huh:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Well, in this analogy, McKay’s rental car may have had a faulty speedometer?  :huh:

Not exactly.
McKay's problem happened before the figurative speeding ticket. 

He knows a car has to have current tabs, but he chose to rent an unlicensed vehicle (not-NSF-approved supplement). 

• Upvote 3

Looks like no one cares. 

I wouldn’t have cared about the results  from the USADA if I was a vote do the award. It was between him and Brink anyway and Meyers was there for no reason. 

After Armstrong the USADA will find anything to test an athlete positive even if it doesn’t really help in performance. It took the USADA years to even catch Armstrong, which I didn’t agree they should have been able to test for years after they got them. 

• Upvote 1

Reality Check,  the amount found was Trillionths of a gram, additionally this happened Back in early Jan when he was tapped as a possible back up for the Olympic squad, they investigated and found that culprit was trace amounts of the substance in vitamin supplement that was not listed on the bottle. 

Now for those of you going "Why is he taking vitamin supplements, he's 25 not 46?" or "Oh what is he afraid of COVID? Must watch CNN haha!", he's the starting goalie and has pretty much been the only starter for the last 4 years, to say nothing of being a star player, so if he gets sick that means they are going to have to put in a mostly untested back-up net minder. So if taking some vitamin supplements might help keep you healthy from either the Flu or Covid, you'd probably take it.  

The Anti-doping agency ruled that the amount in his system had no performance enhancing effect because the amount was too minuscule and given that it wasn't listed on the ingredients in the vitamin supplement there is no way he could have known. So in a logical world this would be a non-issue, at the most they might have McKay record some sort of PSA about being careful about supplement's,  and that would be the end of it. But of course this clown world, so every media article except for the one from CBS sports fails to mention how small the amount was, because Trillionths of a gram doesn't exactly grab eyeballs or make for controversy, and of course the USADA has to continue to justify its existence without causing a fuss so they in enact a stupid 6 month ban after the fact to say see we gave an appropriate punishment because even though there was no malicious intent as it looks like an honest mistake its still a break in the rules so now that his college career is done he can serve 6 month suspension and finish his degree and then, maybe, start with a pro club next year. 

I guarantee you if this same thing happened to a Basketball or Football player at a Power 5 school the USADA would have not taken any action, except to comment on it being an unfortunate circumstance that the player in question had to go through this and then send an apology cookie bouquet to the player before closing the issue. They would not want the anger and shitstorm that would come from a Power five school's fanbase and alumni razing holy hell about banning a star player under similar circumstances even if the ban is mostly a slap on the wrist.

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/guy-lafleur-canadiens-legend-and-five-time-stanley-cup-champion-dies-at-70/

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2