SiouxSports.com Forum

(Almost too soon) 2022 season

undVBfan

Lots of thoughts:

Fun game to watch. Lots of challenges and almost a 3 hour match, so exactly what you’d expect from a rivalry game.

Errors seemed to be the story. NDSU had a lot of hitting and serving errors the first 2 sets, but squeaked a win in set 2 because Lopez won 3 challenges. NDSU had 12 blocks to UND’s 3 during the 3rd set. NDSU would have won that by 8 points if they could have kept their serves in.

Stockman was on fire the first set, but UND quit setting her until the 4th, which then they won easily. Not sure if it was due to not passing well or what.  UND didn’t get anything from their other middles!

NDSU pulled their setter in the 4th, it looked like Lopez wanted to light a fire under her butt, which worked because she was GOOD in the 5th.  Set 5 UND just fell apart. Couldn’t pass, miscommunications, and hitting errors. 

Norris, Olson, and Stockman were really good, no one else did much. Hornyak got smoked in the face during set 3, laid on the floor for 30 seconds and the trainer didn’t even take her off the court. Looked like an easy concussion to me, but they didn’t even run her through the tests…. She seemed pretty out of it the rest of the match, so hopefully it isn’t another Chwialkowski situation like last year. 

On 11/6/2022 at 9:05 PM, loyalundfan said:

Also, are we in the conference tourney for sure?

You could drop to a six-seed at worst. Kansas City in seventh place is four games back from UND, with four games left.  You win a tie based on H2H wins.  So you’re in.  Question is:  would you rather have NDSU or Denver in a first round?  I vote Denver.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, kiyoat said:

You could drop to a six-seed at worst. Kansas City in seventh place is four games back from UND, with four games left.  You win a tie based on H2H wins.  So you’re in.  Question is:  would you rather have NDSU or Denver in a first round?  I vote Denver.

Like I mentioned earlier, I would like to get to No. 3 seed.  A little more challenging now that we lost back-to-back matches.

• Like 2

On 11/1/2022 at 10:11 PM, Dustin said:

At times, UND was the better team. At times, not. Our back row, overall, needs a boost to get back to our preferred level. A back row attacker would add some variety to our offensive, and the libero could be more aggressive. USD found some success by hitting/serving at our libero, and normally that would be the player you’d want to avoid because she’s so good at digs and bumps. A legit libero would my my #1 recruiting target. 

Hi Dustin. I would LOVE to hear from your wife herself. You seem to have a lot of uneducated opinions based off of your wife’s high school experience knowledge. I would love to know what your thoughts are on last years Libero vs. this years. The team has improved tremendously thanks to the help of Carney in the back row. She has won Defensive Player of the Week twice this year. Should’ve been 3 times with 33 digs on Tuesday night. An astounding night by Carney. 

On 11/8/2022 at 4:45 PM, Dustin said:

Like I mentioned earlier, I would like to get to No. 3 seed.  A little more challenging now that we lost back-to-back matches.

Well, believe it or not, UND is still not out of the race for regular-season title.  If you won your last 4 and the Yotes lost 4, then we would be tied.  The H2H would also be a tie.  If NDSU overtook Omaha for 3rd, your win over them would be the difference.... otherwise we have the edge with Omaha and Denver.

But that's an extremely low probability scenario.  The point is that with four matches left, you still have literally everything to play for.  Not bad.  I think you will end up 4th or 5th, but who knows.  It's nice when there are a ton of meaningful matches at the end of the season.  Hopefully fans are still paying attention, instead of pivoting to basketball.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, siouxvblove said:

University is closed tomorrow, what does that mean for the game? 

Alot of times either the teams are not afraid of driving as long as interstate is open or try to come in early. They had basketball games and hockey games during blizzards with the college closed as the teams and officials were in town and just expected little to no crowd.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, siouxvblove said:

No idea. I would not even know how to find that out. Would assume they usually get there early day of game. 

Drive through every hotel parking lot in GF and if you see a team bus it's a clue. :D 

Don't most visiting teams stay Canad Inn or Ramada or Hilton Garden? 

• Upvote 1

Pure guess with lots of assumptions of how I'd schedule travel and know how some teams actually do it:

Given it's DU and they do UND Thu and NDSU Sat they probably flew to FAR today and bused up already. They'll fly back out of FAR Sat or Sun.

Omaha (NDSU Thu, UND Sat) is probably busing it and hopefully is at NDSU tonight already also. 

• Upvote 2