SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Ohio Penguins to win The Valley

siouxfan512

2 minutes ago, Big Green said:

I really hope this is not the case.  This attitude is almost as bad as Youngstown shutting it down for the season.  I'd much rather play a win and in game than not play for 5 weeks.  If you can't beat Missouri St on the road we shouldn't be in the playoffs anyway. 

Also winning on the road vs Missouri St would likely give them a seed in the playoffs. IMO

I'm not saying that I agree.  Just that UND would might think twice about it.  On one hand, you want a game to shake the rust off.  On the other, it's a game against a bubble team that could keep you out of the "real" playoffs.  Could also have an injury.  I'm not sure what UND would do, given the opportunity.  Guess we will never know.   

Time to start planning for a home game in a week and a half! :D

2 minutes ago, Big Green said:

Hope not.  I wouldn't want those guys on my team.

All I'm saying is there is positives and negatives to both situations. One of the reasons Bubba has had success and placed a better product on the field every year he has been here is because he and his staff do a great job of always focusing on the positive of the situation and keep the players locked in. A prime example of this would be our opener this year. With all the talk of the big bad MVFC we came out and pounded a team that has shown to be a decent club.

I can't imagine a team that last Saturday celebrated their first co conference championship in 30 years (Missouri State), would turn around and say ah heck, let's give back that conference title, and play another game to see if we can keep it or not.  :blink:

I would think their argument for the playoffs would be they beat everyone they played this spring except NDSU.  They couldn't control their scheduling problems either.  

If you put into perspective that the fall games COUNT toward the playoffs, Mo State shouldn't even be discussed. I don't want to look it up, but who have they beat that matters? They are a 5-4 ball team, who plays undisciplined, cheap football. I hate to be harsh, but I watched them play NDSU, who I obviously don't care for, and the amount of cheap shots was astounding.

13 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I get the frustration and the desire to play, but it's too late to get MoState to GF for Saturday. Honestly, it was too late at noon Monday.

MoState has done no prep; they probably have been doing light drills and little contact this week knowing no game. It would not be fair to them on Wednesday night to tell them be in GF for a game Saturday afternoon. 

Put the blame where it goes: if YSU was going to bail they should've said so noon Sunday.

If YSU had done that, it would be up to the MVFC and fair to both teams should the league reschedule MoState @ UND. That said, there's no way knowing if the MVFC would've done the reschedule. My guess is they would not have. Why? Should UND lose at home the MVFC probably only gets two teams in; this way three teams in the playoffs is more likely. 

FBS teams proved this fall that you can play great games with no prep and on few days notice. See BYU at Coastal Carolina. It was supposed to be BYU bye week and actually they had already been off over a week. I think there a few other games that happened on short notice.

11 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

I can't imagine a team that last Saturday celebrated their first co conference championship in 30 years (Missouri State), would turn around and say ah heck, let's give back that conference title, and play another game to see if we can keep it or not.  :blink:

I would think their argument for the playoffs would be they beat everyone they played this spring except NDSU.  They couldn't control their scheduling problems either.  

Why was their first spring game cancelled again?   Please refresh my memory.  Pretty sure it was because they had snow on their field?  Karma

7 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Why was their first spring game cancelled again?   Please refresh my memory.  Pretty sure it was because they had snow on their field?  Karma

And that game was scheduled to be played this coming weekend, but Illinois state, like others, wimped out on the rest of their season when they realized they were out of playoff contention. 

i’m not arguing for Missouri State making the playoffs. I was saying what their argument would be.  If the roles were reversed, I think we would be arguing the same points for UND to make the playoffs, and would never hand back a conference title in exchange for one more road game. .  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

And that game was scheduled to be played this coming weekend, but Illinois state, like others, wimped out on the rest of their season when they realized they were out of playoff contention. 

i’m not arguing for Missouri State making the playoffs. I was saying what their argument would be.  If the roles were reversed, I think we would be arguing the same points for UND to make the playoffs, and would never hand back a conference title in exchange for one more road game. .  

Missouri St. has chance to make the playoffs.  A very slim chance.  A win over UND certainly helps them, but would the risk losing the game and losing their first conference championship in 30 years for a small chance to make the playoffs?  Especially after celebrating a conference Championship on the field.