SiouxSports.com Forum

UND will be the new #1 in all hockey polls

ND_Texan

1 hour ago, ND_Texan said:

After the Sioux win at Omaha coupled with BC losing, UND will be #1 in both college hockey polls. Looking good for that #1 seed heading into the Final 16. 

We will need to keep winning to get the #1 overall seed because the committee approach to picking teams and ranking for the national tournament leaves a lot of room for bias (eastern?).

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

We will need to keep winning to get the #1 overall seed because the committee approach to picking teams and ranking for the national tournament leaves a lot of room for bias (eastern?).

Agree with that. However the strength of schedule factor, whatever form that takes, has to favor UND. Eastern school strength (in BC's schedule particularly) not too impressive.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ND_Texan said:

Agree with that. However the strength of schedule factor, whatever form that takes, has to favor UND. Eastern school strength (in BC's schedule particularly) not too impressive.

We have been able to almost entirely been able to do away with bias with the pairwise but now we are entering into interpretation which inevitably leads to bias.  

1 minute ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

We have been able to almost entirely been able to do away with bias with the pairwise but now we are entering into interpretation which inevitably leads to bias.  

There will be some kind of "pairwise-ish" factoring. Do you have a sense of what that will look like?

5 hours ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

UND's games in the pod, plus an outstanding conference with the ability to show games and have voters/committee see those games likely removes some of this bias. Anyone who is truly dialed in to college hockey knows how dominant we've been this season, IMO.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

UND's games in the pod, plus an outstanding conference with the ability to show games and have voters/committee see those games likely removes some of this bias. Anyone who is truly dialed in to college hockey knows how dominant we've been this season, IMO.

The only bias I might worry about for us would be the number 1 overall seed.  I agree our resume should speak for itself.

I'm normally not one to have this thought, but would it be a bad thing to humble the boys with a loss at home next weekend? Otherwise, I'm all for steamrolling through the NCHC's into the national tournament. Complacency can be a self killer. However, based on Berry's words in the latest "through these doors" it appears he's preaching more work to do. Hopefully the drive within the guys who came back will be the fuel necessary to finish the job.

My fear regardless of what happens is facing a team we haven't seen much of, aka the unknown, which is true every year, but this year more than ever. The measuring stick is so blurry with no non con games.

6 minutes ago, Langster019 said:

I'm normally not one to have this thought, but would it be a bad thing to humble the boys with a loss at home next weekend? Otherwise, I'm all for steamrolling through the NCHC's into the national tournament. Complacency can be a self killer. However, based on Berry's words in the latest "through these doors" it appears he's preaching more work to do. Hopefully the drive within the guys who came back will be the fuel necessary to finish the job.

My fear regardless of what happens is facing a team we haven't seen much of, aka the unknown, which is true every year, but this year more than ever. The measuring stick is so blurry with no non con games.

Hoping we can make it to the NCHC title game/win it so we can get 3 different teams in short order leading into the NCAAs. 

36 minutes ago, jk said:

They've been up and down, but we need to play Duluth.  They've been hard to play against for a long time, and that's what we need to see before the NCAAs.  

Duluth looked sloppy and undisciplined last night, but St. Cloud was worse. A couple greasy goals early won the game for them. I see St. Cloud beating them next week for the #2 seed. Frankly Duluth is just not that good. 

2 hours ago, ND_Texan said:

Duluth looked sloppy and undisciplined last night, but St. Cloud was worse. A couple greasy goals early won the game for them. I see St. Cloud beating them next week for the #2 seed. Frankly Duluth is just not that good. 

I tend to think that any top three NCHC team is good.

16 minutes ago, tnt said:

I tend to think that any top three NCHC team is good.

The Dogs came out of the pod looking pretty good but since then have gone 8-6 with 4 of those wins against Miami. They are fortunate to be in the top 3. 

The best teams in the NCHC right now are UND, Western and St. Cloud, probably in that order. I put Duluth at #5. 

On 2/27/2021 at 9:05 PM, ND_Texan said:

Dave Starman just said he thinks some NHL scouts should have a say in the 16 NCAA selections since they've seen all the teams. Interesting thought.

With all due respect to Starman, that's a horrible idea. NHL scouts are there to watch specific players, not to judge the quality of the teams. While they may have seen all the teams, they also are going to have seen the Big10 and NCHC (and probably 5 or 6 teams) much, much more than anyone else. That in itself creates a bias in favor of those teams. There are a lot of very good college hockey teams that don't have NHL-level talent that deserve to be in before teams that have a lot of NHL-level talent, but aren't good college hockey teams (think of Wisconsin the last 2-3 years).

• Upvote 4

On 2/27/2021 at 4:52 PM, ND_Texan said:

... UND will be #1 in both college hockey polls. 

That and $5 will get you a foot long ham sandwich at Subway. 

The only "poll" that matters is the "pole" you raise a banner on. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Can I exchange that footlong for a ham grinder with taco meat?  Oh, and a large milk please.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

#1 nationally also means #1 seed in the Final 16 and last line change throughout the playoffs. I'd say that beats the hell out of a ham sandwich.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, ND_Texan said:

#1 nationally also means #1 seed in the Final 16 and last line change throughout the playoffs. I'd say that beats the hell out of a ham sandwich.

Being ranked #1 in the traditional pairwise, used every year except this year to determine the tourney field, gets you a 1 throughout the tournament.  #1 in the USCHO or USA Today polls does not provide that same guarantee...but maybe it will for 2021.  Still have hopefully 4 more games until selection for the NCAA's; a lot can happen between now and then.

2 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Being ranked #1 in the traditional pairwise, used every year except this year to determine the tourney field, gets you a 1 throughout the tournament.  #1 in the USCHO or USA Today polls does not provide that same guarantee...but maybe it will for 2021.  Still have hopefully 4 more games until selection for the NCAA's; a lot can happen between now and then.

There's no reason to think that whoever is ranked #1 nationally going into the Final 16 won't be the #1 seed. None. So yes, hopefully we win four more games and retain that #1 ranking. It doesn't mean everything, but it means a lot.