SiouxSports.com Forum

Post pod series #5-Denver......for the 5th....and 6th time.......

Wilbur

Objective as possible opinion:

Hain's first was a 2 and the second was a 5. Control your legs more when airborne, especially as a repeat offender.

The late one was dirty and clearly out of frustration. Had already turned it off so only saw replay, but didn't look as bad as the scuttlebuzz had me expecting.

It's happening a lot with us lately, and that's not a good reputation to have. Glad Hain got benched after the the second one.

9 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

Based on the actual plays I'd be absolutely shocked. He was making a hockey play on both of them and the second one never happens if not for the Denver defenseman. But based on the NCHC decision makers it could definitely happen because who knows how they make decisions.

Yeah, he won't be getting suspended for tonight's game. The last one he was check into Chrona. 

7 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Objective as possible opinion:

Hain's first was a 2 and the second was a 5. Control your legs more when airborne, especially as a repeat offender.

The late one was dirty and clearly out of frustration. Had already turned it off so only saw replay, but didn't look as bad as the scuttlebuzz had me expecting.

It's happening a lot with us lately, and that's not a good reputation to have. Glad Hain got benched after the the second one.

Careful, your last point isn’t popular with the “Gods of Sioux Sports” crowd. You’re obviously an objective observer, able to see the game and it’s realities. That reputation you speak of does  hurt the team in the end.

24 minutes ago, BusinessSiouxt said:

Careful, your last point isn’t popular with the “Gods of Sioux Sports” crowd. You’re obviously an objective observer, able to see the game and it’s realities. That reputation you speak of does  hurt the team in the end.

I have to respectfully disagree with that point. I’ve been following the Sioux for over 50 years. Their winning tradition is because of their ability to attract and recruit aggressive and, yes, chippy players. These are the types that win games on the boards. They appreciate that hockey is a contact sport. Talented skaters who shy away from that style of play become Gophers.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

I hope Sanderson stays for another year but I don't think he will. He's NHL ready.

I sure hope he stays 1 more year.  This guy is in my mind the next Cale Makar.  Makar wasn't even at Sanderson's level his freshman year.  Ottawa Has some dandy players coming up the pipeline via UND.

7 minutes ago, ND_Texan said:

I have to respectfully disagree with that point. I’ve been following the Sioux for over 50 years. Their winning tradition is because of their ability to attract and recruit aggressive and, yes, chippy players. These are the types that win games on the boards. They appreciate that hockey is a contact sport. Talented skaters who shy away from that style of play become Gophers.  

I've been following Sioux hockey for an equally long time and have seen too many times when undisciplined play screwed up our game.   Can't go the distance in the NCAAs with men in the box from undisciplined play. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, burd said:

I've been following Sioux hockey for an equally long time and have seen too many times when undisciplined play screwed up our game.   Can't go the distance in the NCAAs with men in the box from undisciplined play. 

I would take one Gavin Hain before I'd take ten Bobby Brink's.  Hain was really amped up last night.  If the puck is in the area he goes after it like a junkyard dog.  He just needs to adjust his angle a little and he'll avoid the fives for goalie contact.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

I would take one Gavin Hain before I'd take ten Bobby Brink's.  Hain was really amped up last night.  If the puck is in the area he goes after it like a junkyard dog.  He just needs to adjust his angle a little and he'll avoid the fives for goalie contact.

I love Hain’s game. I think Johnny Marks and Dennis Hextall would agree. (wink)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

Brad Berry has been a part of that hard-nosed Sioux tradition for much of his adult life and mentions it often.   I trust his judgment. 

20 minutes ago, burd said:

I don’t think Hain was undisciplined last night. Dog-on-bone is fun to watch. It was the refs who were undisciplined IMO. 

1 minute ago, burd said:

Brad Berry has been a part of that hard-nosed Sioux tradition for much of his adult life and mentions it often.   I trust his judgment. 

I have always liked Hain's game.  His play last night to me was reminiscent of VandeVelde going to the net.  Denver has become a primadonna team IMO.  In order to beat teams like Duluth in the tourney you have to have hard nosed players like Hain who will sacrifice everything to go to the hard areas and score greasy goals.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

I have always liked Hain's game.  His play last night to me was reminiscent of VandeVelde going to the net.  Denver has become a primadonna team IMO.  In order to beat teams like Duluth in the tourney you have to have hard nosed players like Hain who will sacrifice everything to go to the hard areas and score greasy goals.

How many times have you heard coaches say in a tight game that it's gonna be a greasy goal that win's this game.  Hain will score those greasy goals.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, BusinessSiouxt said:

I would say the the hard areas include the corners, the low slot, behind the net and never included the goal crease (a protected area) one of them.

I would have a different opinion of Hain's two penalties last night if they were lazy stick penalties.  We need Hain down the stretch because he is what Sioux hockey is all about.  I personally wouldn't change anything about his game.  Ticky Tack calls imo.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

I would have a different opinion of Hain's two penalties last night if they were lazy stick penalties.  We need Hain down the stretch because he is what Sioux hockey is all about.  I personally wouldn't change anything about his game.  Ticky Tack calls imo.

Bingo! If anyone has been undisciplined of late it would be Mismash, but I still love his game. He’s a guy from the Minneapolis area who was highly recruited by the hometown Gophers but chose to be a Sioux instead. Hmmm. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ND_Texan said:

Bingo! If anyone has been undisciplined of late it would be Mismash, but I still love his game. He’s a guy from the Minneapolis area who was highly recruited by the hometown Gophers but chose to be a Sioux instead. Hmmm. 

On the second call on Hain he was about to gain a step on the d man and got pushed into Chrona.  Somewhere Hain found some extra speed he didn't have last year.

• Upvote 1