SiouxSports.com Forum

Post pod series #5-Denver......for the 5th....and 6th time.......

Wilbur

7 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Some times if OK to say it the way it might be.

Ok...Mismash went hard to the net in Denver and Chrona got hurt/hurt himself.  I’m sure DU was pissed about that.  Did Olichefski (sp) take it upon himself to even the score on Scheel?  Don’t know for sure but it was a cheap play away from the puck.  How’s that?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Blackheart said:

DU may consider this payback for Mismash running Chrona.  

Oh, so now this is considered. This was my point, the one I got hammered for. If the coaches don’t manage things, and the refs don’t manage things, the players will manage things and it always leads to this kind of stuff. Chirping doesn’t get it done so they resort to cheap @ss crap like this. I’ll just sit down now and let the experts carry on about old school, Eddie Shore hockey... carry on... :whistling:

14 minutes ago, BusinessSiouxt said:

Oh, so now this is considered. This was my point, the one I got hammered for. If the coaches don’t manage things, and the refs don’t manage things, the players will manage things and it always leads to this kind of stuff. Chirping doesn’t get it done so they resort to cheap @ss crap like this. I’ll just sit down now and let the experts carry on about old school, Eddie Shore hockey... carry on... :whistling:

Has it come to this with Denver 

1 hour ago, BusinessSiouxt said:

Yawn...give it a break big guy.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Ok...Mismash went hard to the net in Denver and Chrona got hurt/hurt himself.  I’m sure DU was pissed about that.  Did Olichefski (sp) take it upon himself to even the score on Scheel?  Don’t know for sure but it was a cheap play away from the puck.  How’s that?

I don’t want our boys to retaliate if we meet DU again. But I want that dude thinking we will. 

Observations:

DURflinger needs to be smarter: (on Friday) Tyler Kleven (6'4") is not the "dance partner" he should be choosing. (Yo, DURf, getting punched 'downhill' hurts. I have learnt this. No further comment.) 

Berry said it best postgame Saturday: The (Saturday first period) might have been UND's worst all season. My only comment: Might

UND's fourth goal was courtesy DU: UND 28 enters the zone in possession and ... turns from the high slot to attack ... the half wall :huh: looking to maintain possession until help arrives, and not one, not two, but three DU skaters drag with him. The fourth DU defender was in the zone before the UND F2 (14). Yet somehow 28 gets the textbook shot off from the wall (1x3) to the far goalie pad and all Kodachrome* can do is kick it up the slot where his fourth defender has been beat down the slot by F2 (14). Goal. Thank you DU for playing mite level, watch the puck, defense. (And LetsGoDU.com may quote me on that prior statement. No rights reserved.) 

You could hear the air come out of DU's tires when it went 4-2. The late UND penalties were not good but DU honestly looked tired from the 4-2 goal on. They had no pushback. 

The ENG? Why didn't 29 take it? Why'd he let 28 take it? Simple. First, he's the captain. Reward the guys who earned it that night. Next, 28 looked like he was shot out of cannon. Finally, watch 29 on that play. A DU defender has a slim but real chance of catching 28 ... until 29 'adjusts' his skating path trailing 28. Illegal? Nope. Subtle and smart? Oh yeah ... 

Next, to UND 15: Ethan, dude, be done taking penalties in the last minutes of the game (unless it is to save a clear open chance), please. It's rough on the old ticker. Thank you. ;) 

Frankly, UND's defense on the 1-2-3 (A-B-C) scale I'm not sure anyone got an A on Saturday. Maybe 15 until the late penalty. Maybe 2 but he wasn't high minutes. Both 3 and 24 had rookie mistakes. If anyone did, it was the ... freshmen. 

And to Thome: Dude. You were hung out on the first. Savoie scores on eight of ten NCHC goalies (and quite a few pros) from there so no dishonor. But after those two you locked down and made all the saves you should (and a couple I have no idea how you saw). < virtual fist bump > 

*Chrona gets the name Kodachrome on that one because he was picturized on it. Note: For you youngin's, a company named Kodak use to make photographic film called Kodachrome before digital camer... oh, nevermind. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Observations:

DURflinger needs to be smarter: (on Friday) Tyler Kleven (6'4") is not the "dance partner" he should be choosing. (Yo, DURf, getting punched 'downhill' hurts. I have learnt this. No further comment.) 

Berry said it best postgame Saturday: The (Saturday first period) might have been UND's worst all season. My only comment: Might

UND's fourth goal was courtesy DU: UND 28 enters the zone in possession and ... turns from the high slot to attack ... the half wall :huh: looking to maintain possession until help arrives, and not one, not two, but three DU skaters drag with him. The fourth DU defender was in the zone before the UND F2 (14). Yet somehow 28 gets the textbook shot off from the wall (1x3) to the far goalie pad and all Kodachrome* can do is kick it up the slot where his fourth defender has been beat down the slot by F2 (14). Goal. Thank you DU for playing mite level, watch the puck, defense. (And LetsGoDU.com may quote me on that prior statement. No rights reserved.) 

You could hear the air come out of DU's tires when it went 4-2. The late UND penalties were not good but DU honestly looked tired from the 4-2 goal on. They had no pushback. 

The ENG? Why didn't 29 take it? Why'd he let 28 take it? Simple. First, he's the captain. Reward the guys who earned it that night. Next, 28 looked like he was shot out of cannon. Finally, watch 29 on that play. A DU defender has a slim but real chance of catching 28 ... until 29 'adjusts' his skating path trailing 28. Illegal? Nope. Subtle and smart? Oh yeah ... 

Next, to UND 15: Ethan, dude, be done taking penalties in the last minutes of the game (unless it is to save a clear open chance), please. It's rough on the old ticker. Thank you. ;) 

Frankly, UND's defense on the 1-2-3 (A-B-C) scale I'm not sure anyone got an A on Saturday. Maybe 15 until the late penalty. Maybe 2 but he wasn't high minutes. Both 3 and 24 had rookie mistakes. If anyone did, it was the ... freshmen. 

And to Thome: Dude. You were hung out on the first. Savoie scores on eight of ten NCHC goalies (and quite a few pros) from there so no dishonor. But after those two you locked down and made all the saves you should (and a couple I have no idea how you saw). < virtual fist bump > 

*Chrona gets the name Kodachrome on that one because he was picturized on it. Note: For you youngin's, a company named Kodak use to make photographic film called Kodachrome before digital camer... oh, nevermind. 

Good stuff, Sic.

56 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

One more question for DU: 

Down 4-2, up on a 5x3 power play ... and you don't pull Chrona for the 6x3 given all the time left? You lost 5-2 anyway because you pulled after the penalties expired.

Down two you pull for the 6x3. 

Blew my mind, but I was like... ok? Well, thanks? LOL.

49 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Down 4-2, up on a 5x3 power play ... and you don't pull Chrona for the 6x3 given all the time left? You lost 5-2 anyway because you pulled after the penalties expired.

It would be interesting to know Brad Berry's philosophy on this.  Personally, I think you are going to get just as many great chances with 5 guys, as you would with 6 since you practice that scenario.  The 3 guys usually don't stray too much from their triangle.  I guess for puck retrieval it would help, but the defense aren't likely to get locked up in the corner anyway, as they are usually quite passive in that situation.  Bottom line is burying the chances you are bound to get 5 on 3.   Was quite surprised he didn't up it back to a two man advantage once a UND skater came back though.   Since most coaches rely heavily on analytics, I would bet they have some book as to where the biggest advantage comes, and when to pull the goalie in those situations. 

6x3:

Why not go with a modified "plus" (aka bumper) config. In bumper, your low guy overloads to one side (normally goalie glove). See the Adams goal Saturday. 

In 6x3 I'd say to go "double low". If one low man has the puck the other pops up to be a second bumper on the far post (as the normal bumper is aligned to the near post to the low man with the puck). The alternative is he stays on the far pipe to act as the backboard of a whip-jam shot from the low man with the puck, leaving open the pass to the "Ovechkin Office" guy. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

6x3:

Why not go with a modified "plus" (aka bumper) config. In bumper, your low guy overloads to one side (normally goalie glove). See the Adams goal Saturday. 

In 6x3 I'd say to go "double low". If one low man has the puck the other pops up to be a second bumper on the far post (as the normal bumper is aligned to the near post to the low man with the puck). The alternative is he stays on the far pipe to act as the backboard of a whip-jam shot from the low man with the puck, leaving open the pass to the "Ovechkin Office" guy. 

Like I say, I would like to know what most coaches would do.  All I know is how many of our fans would be all over Brad Berry if he pulled the goalie with 4 plus minutes left and the other team intercepts a pass and puts it into the empty net without even an opportunity on a 5 on 3?   

4 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Maybe it didn’t occur to the very young DU coach.  

Keep in mind, Denver was without Stapley, Olischefski, Crone, and Savoie, four of their 5 leading goal scorers, so what is your risk/reward in putting someone out there who isn't usually on the power play and hasn't scored much to begin with?

13 minutes ago, tnt said:

Keep in mind, Denver was without Stapley, Olischefski, Crone, and Savoie, four of their 5 leading goal scorers, so what is your risk/reward in putting someone out there who isn't usually on the power play and hasn't scored much to begin with?

The "no Savoie" came to mind as I was writing my 6x3 thoughts. The rest? I didn't realize the scale of the problem. 

That said, DU does have a second and third power play unit. Even if the "six" stands in front and screens ... 

39 minutes ago, tnt said:

I get that but you are down two so to me it's an easy call that you take the risk. There is no difference in losing by two or three.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, tnt said:

Where was Crone last weekend?

10 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

OMG, Ole from the UND hockey radio said the same thing to me after the game. Why not pull the goalie?

13 hours ago, jk said:

Per the CHN write-up Denver had 0 even strength SOG in the last 23 minutes Saturday. 

DU had two shots in the third. 
http://www.collegehockeystats.net/2021/textbox/mdenndk1.f13 

Side note: I think I now realize why I didn't notice the "no pull" until it was pointed out. The box score says it was 26 and 15 in the bin for the DU 5x3. I was cramping up watching the PK without those two. 

15 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

DU had two shots in the third. 
http://www.collegehockeystats.net/2021/textbox/mdenndk1.f13 

Side note: I think I now realize why I didn't notice the "no pull" until it was pointed out. The box score says it was 26 and 15 in the bin for the DU 5x3. I was cramping up watching the PK without those two. 

Yep, both on the PP. Pretty dang good for our boys.