SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (1-6) @ SIU (4-0) 12/18 3 PM (Game 2)

SWSiouxMN

16 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I'm a little discouraged again after this set of games.

I'm not ready to sound the alarms yet, but I'm nearing the buttons. 

The part I am worried about is the ceiling for some of these guys is about 6" above their head.  How much better can some of them even get?  I don't see a Walters out there making 3-4 three pointers a game like last year.  I don't see a Marlon Stewart, that's for damn sure. In 1.5 years they haven't brought in one difference making recruit yet.  Every good player in 2019 and 2020 was a Jones guy.  Maybe Ihenacho..?  

Trying to hold off but when a team scores 50 points against an average MVC team the alarms go off.  This team can't score - and that goes back to lack of talent and ability to beat the guy across from them.  

19 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

The part I am worried about is the ceiling for some of these guys is about 6" above their head.  How much better can some of them even get?  I don't see a Walters out there making 3-4 three pointers a game like last year.  I don't see a Marlon Stewart, that's for damn sure. In 1.5 years they haven't brought in one difference making recruit yet.  Every good player in 2019 and 2020 was a Jones guy.  Maybe Ihenacho..?  

Trying to hold off but when a teams scores 50 points against an average MVC team the alarms go off.  This team can't score - and that goes back to lack of talent and ability to beat the guy across from them.  

I still have hope for G.  

Brady needs to develop a jumper.  His hustle and knack for the small players are what you love but as others say, it can only get you so far. 

Ihenacho is going to be a good one, he has a lot of potential ooozing out of him.  He is a walking triple-double waiting to happen

Shockey will be fine, he's playing like a freshman.  The game will slow down for him soon.

50 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

step back from the edge....it will get better.

I know it will get better and it will start to click more... but the one step forward this team took in Sioux Falls, feel like they took at least a half step back.  

Work needs to be done on the offensive side of the ball.  

Doesn't help to not have DAE right now.  I hope he is good to go for Drake but if there is someone who wants it to be conference play, its him. 

What is it with number of you it seems no matter what you're never satisfied with basketball program.  I get from your posts you think were going be this dominate basketball power that will be one of top 20 programs in the nation. Its not going to happen were small mid major division I basketball program with two other dominate programs above them in Hockey and Football which limits amount of money and resources we have and its a fact. I was feeling quite pleased after playing SDSU, USD, and NDSU that were right there with those teams and have a team with more growth potential than those teams showed. I left last weekend feeling if this team improves by end of the season they could have shot at winning conference tournament. Thus chance to play NCAA tournament and get some national recognition which would help in maybe getting new recruits to come UND. The playing in NCAA in tournament is the goal long term and to win a game and maximum to win two games but that would be very rare occurrence.  The deck is so stacked against small mid majors doing more than that is highly unlikeyl because of needed resources and getting national attention to attract top of the line talent. Now not to mention were in northern cold climate and small demographic area were not going to become this top 20 program in the nation. Look at Minnesota they are complaining they have hard time attracting top line recruits north to play and look at there resources. Second is were not going to top conferences like big 10 or big 12 which would help in drawing because of the conference. I then will hear from you that Hockey does it but look here this small sport in terms of Division I schools where about there are only about 80 schools fielding a program and has been northern tier group of schools that field a hockey team. Football is unique in that its basically small school division I class which i say what the small mid major basketball programs should be grouped together for year end tournament. Also with the new rule changes on transferring schools like UND do develop basketball talent they are usually plucked away in there last season or even there last two seasons.  But getting back to this UND team i see alot of potential and past year with covid its hard to develop a team like UND. They need practice time and game experience but this year with way the schedule is you don't play a game learn what you did wrong and come home practice to improve on what you did wrong you're playing another game next day. This team had only two starters returning and one them has been injured so you have whole team at times on the floor that have not played with each other much so mistakes are going to be made. Also takes time for a team to get together play good team defense as well as on the offense side. I noticed this year you really see difference in teams that are returning large core of their team to ones that are rebuilding again like UND is.  I guess I went off here but I get tired of this negativity we were one game last year away from the dance with a team that did not add any depth last year which is my major criticism of Sather since he came here. If he would have added one or two players last year we would have had good chance of winning the conference tournament.  I still give benefit of the doubt because he wanted evaluate the program before he did anything but i still hate opportunities lost. I am optimistic that the program is heading right direction the next thing is to get fans back especially student body but i am afraid hockey sucks air out other sports at UND which SDSU, NDSU, and USD don't have to contend with which makes basketball followed sport for those schools.

• Downvote 1

I get you are doing the glass is half full thing.  ^^^^^

But its hard to look at some of these guys and see the upside. So...projecting out that they are going to be so much better in a month or two is somewhat difficult for me.  I want them to be but I don't see any superstars out there that are going to save their ass on certain nights, like Stewart did.  And none of them can knock down 3's like Walter did.  

The defense is going to need to improve to win low-mid scoring games.  Plus, actually playing at home will help immensely!  

• Like 1

Men are 1-7. Women are worse. 
Maybe that’s ok? Maybe all that matters is almost getting/or getting into the national tournament. Preseason doesn’t matter? Many teams have turnover of players. I do think/hope Sather can make us a more consistent upper in conference team. Maybe all that matters is just getting better. Doesn’t matter if we win along the way. Maybe don’t expect to win along the way but hope to win three in the conference tournament? This fan thinks it is more fun if we win some along the way. Idk-just rambling-sorry

2 hours ago, ND-fan said:

What is it with number of you it seems no matter what you're never satisfied with basketball program.  I get from your posts you think were going be this dominate basketball power that will be one of top 20 programs in the nation. Its not going to happen were small mid major division I basketball program with two other dominate programs above them in Hockey and Football which limits amount of money and resources we have and its a fact. I was feeling quite pleased after playing SDSU, USD, and NDSU that were right there with those teams and have a team with more growth potential than those teams showed. I left last weekend feeling if this team improves by end of the season they could have shot at winning conference tournament. Thus chance to play NCAA tournament and get some national recognition which would help in maybe getting new recruits to come UND. The playing in NCAA in tournament is the goal long term and to win a game and maximum to win two games but that would be very rare occurrence.  The deck is so stacked against small mid majors doing more than that is highly unlikeyl because of needed resources and getting national attention to attract top of the line talent. Now not to mention were in northern cold climate and small demographic area were not going to become this top 20 program in the nation. Look at Minnesota they are complaining they have hard time attracting top line recruits north to play and look at there resources. Second is were not going to top conferences like big 10 or big 12 which would help in drawing because of the conference. I then will hear from you that Hockey does it but look here this small sport in terms of Division I schools where about there are only about 80 schools fielding a program and has been northern tier group of schools that field a hockey team. Football is unique in that its basically small school division I class which i say what the small mid major basketball programs should be grouped together for year end tournament. Also with the new rule changes on transferring schools like UND do develop basketball talent they are usually plucked away in there last season or even there last two seasons.  But getting back to this UND team i see alot of potential and past year with covid its hard to develop a team like UND. They need practice time and game experience but this year with way the schedule is you don't play a game learn what you did wrong and come home practice to improve on what you did wrong you're playing another game next day. This team had only two starters returning and one them has been injured so you have whole team at times on the floor that have not played with each other much so mistakes are going to be made. Also takes time for a team to get together play good team defense as well as on the offense side. I noticed this year you really see difference in teams that are returning large core of their team to ones that are rebuilding again like UND is.  I guess I went off here but I get tired of this negativity we were one game last year away from the dance with a team that did not add any depth last year which is my major criticism of Sather since he came here. If he would have added one or two players last year we would have had good chance of winning the conference tournament.  I still give benefit of the doubt because he wanted evaluate the program before he did anything but i still hate opportunities lost. I am optimistic that the program is heading right direction the next thing is to get fans back especially student body but i am afraid hockey sucks air out other sports at UND which SDSU, NDSU, and USD don't have to contend with which makes basketball followed sport for those schools.

So this is just like high school then, just go out, have fun and learn life lessons? Nope, I want to be competitive and win games. And it is not as impossible as you like to make it.

16 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Maybe that’s ok? Maybe all that matters is almost getting/or getting into the national tournament. Preseason doesn’t matter? Many teams have turnover of players. I do think/hope Sather can make us a more consistent upper in conference team. Maybe all that matters is just getting better. Doesn’t matter if we win along the way. Maybe don’t expect to win along the way but hope to win three in the conference tournament? This fan thinks it is more fun if we win some along the way. Idk-just rambling-sorry

In other words, get back to what we used to do around here. I am with you 1000%. I warned that this is where we were going as an athletic department over seven years ago, but was told I didn't know what I was talking about. I really hope this isn't the new normal around here.

8 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

On the bright side, I think Sather will turn this around. This season is a total dumpster fire because of COVID-19. I really don't want to judge either BB program until we start playing a regular schedule again.

2 hours ago, ND-fan said:

I am optimistic that the program is heading right direction the next thing is to get fans back especially student body but i am afraid hockey sucks air out other sports at UND which SDSU, NDSU, and USD don't have to contend with which makes basketball followed sport for those schools.

So based on this logic, FB should suck all the air out of NDSU's men's basketball program. And SDSU's for that matter. But that isn't the case at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

So based on this logic, FB should suck all the air out of NDSU's men's basketball program. And SDSU's for that matter. But that isn't the case at all.

There are no more excuses for either BB team. Both got rid of their last coaches and the AD has made a decision to get the programs better.  Talent wins. 

• Like 1

Well it has done some of that look at NDSU attendance levels for basketball they are no where they were back when I was young and they sure are not what they were at UND. When UND and NDSU were division 2 there attendance for both men's and women's games were I believe double what they are today. It was not uncommon that Hyslop was near capacity which I believe was around 4500 people. When UND was part of NCC SDSU, NDSU, and USD games were hard ticket to get to see because alot of the time they were sold out.  The NDSU game was especially hard ticket to get and even back in that time games were televised locally because of large fan interest and there were many different articles about games in local paper.  Now today UND hockey has taken all that interest and it shows in fan attendance, TV rights, and media coverage devoted to the team. Same thing goes for NDSU football its the sport that garnishes most attention for the school. The difference in fan attention was when they were division 2 in basketball they were one elite teams in that division both in men's and women's programs people could identify that they were playing for something they had chance to become a champion. This why i believe why we see where Und fans interest is in the hockey program they have chance to win championship and same thing is for NDSU in football they are power house FCS football.  Now you come to basketball its about winning Conference tournament and  getting to NCAA tournament but having reasonable chance of winning national title is not going to happen.  Yes i like to be competitive but that's not going to happen with small mid major team you can be competitive in your conference and similar small mid major conferences but when you play upper tier of division I schools winning a game or so from these schools is best you can hope and if you do better than that they won't schedule you. Its way been all my life and nothing has changed and probably will never change.  PS if they wouldn't have created FCS for football same would be for that sport teams would be playing to win conference title.

• Downvote 1

9 hours ago, ND-fan said:

Well it has done some of that look at NDSU attendance levels for basketball they are no where they were back when I was young and they sure are not what they were at UND. When UND and NDSU were division 2 there attendance for both men's and women's games were I believe double what they are today. It was not uncommon that Hyslop was near capacity which I believe was around 4500 people. When UND was part of NCC SDSU, NDSU, and USD games were hard ticket to get to see because alot of the time they were sold out.  The NDSU game was especially hard ticket to get and even back in that time games were televised locally because of large fan interest and there were many different articles about games in local paper.  Now today UND hockey has taken all that interest and it shows in fan attendance, TV rights, and media coverage devoted to the team. Same thing goes for NDSU football its the sport that garnishes most attention for the school. The difference in fan attention was when they were division 2 in basketball they were one elite teams in that division both in men's and women's programs people could identify that they were playing for something they had chance to become a champion. This why i believe why we see where Und fans interest is in the hockey program they have chance to win championship and same thing is for NDSU in football they are power house FCS football.  Now you come to basketball its about winning Conference tournament and  getting to NCAA tournament but having reasonable chance of winning national title is not going to happen.  Yes i like to be competitive but that's not going to happen with small mid major team you can be competitive in your conference and similar small mid major conferences but when you play upper tier of division I schools winning a game or so from these schools is best you can hope and if you do better than that they won't schedule you. Its way been all my life and nothing has changed and probably will never change.  PS if they wouldn't have created FCS for football same would be for that sport teams would be playing to win conference title.

So in other words, throw in the towel and get ready for permanent mediocrity? Nope, I am not doing that.

11 hours ago, ND-fan said:

Who, on this forum or otherwise, is calling for a national championship in Men's Basketball?  I don't know of a soul.   Now, being a perennial Summit title contender, and Grand Forks being a terrible place for conference opponents to come and get a win, like the old Hyslop days, I think is a realistic ask of this program.   

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I still think Sather can improve the program.  He hasn't been here long.  No amount of coaching can help a team that can't hit open shots.  UND's issue has been a lack a scoring for large chunks of time in so many games this year.  It cost us the game vs NDSU and was an issue vs SIU as well.  UND needs guys that can hit open shots, and they need a point guard that can handle the ball and drive without bouncing the ball off of his legs/feet. 

Also, despite the existence of UND hockey and football, UND absolutely has enough money to bring a couple D1 teams in for non conference games each year.  Our home schedule has been embarrassing and it's unacceptable how bad it has been.  That's on our AD.  

• Upvote 1