SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (1-6) @ SIU (4-0) 12/18 3 PM (Game 2)

SWSiouxMN

3 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Also, despite the existence of UND hockey and football, UND absolutely has enough money to bring a couple D1 teams in for non conference games each year.  Our home schedule has been embarrassing and it's unacceptable how bad it has been.  That's on our AD.  

I personally believe that if it wasn't for COVID that this issue would have been rectified this season.   We will see what happens in 21-22, however now with 2 less non-conference games because of the move up of St. Thomas

3 hours ago, nodak651 said:

I still think Sather can improve the program.  He hasn't been here long.  No amount of coaching can help a team that can't hit open shots.  UND's issue has been a lack a scoring for large chunks of time in so many games this year.  It cost us the game vs NDSU and was an issue vs SIU as well.  UND needs guys that can hit open shots, and they need a point guard that can handle the ball and drive without bouncing the ball off of his legs/feet. 

Throw Dixie State in there as well.    You have to hit those open shots.  This certainly isn't a new issue for this team. They shot 32.4% from 3 as a team against D1 competition last year. (I took out the 3 non-d1 games)  They had it last year as well.  Even with Walter hitting 38% from 3.    There are guys that can hit shots on this team, they just need to do it.  Now are they going to be mistaken as dead-eye shooters? No.  Can they certainly shoot way better than some of their percentages?  Yes.  

I went back and calculated the 3 point percentage of the first 8 D1 games last year and compared them to this year:  They are very similar (.302 vs .306)

*Edit:  I also did the same for overall FG percentage during that time and again, its similar (.422 vs .419)  The only significant difference between the two right now?  Free throws (.776 VS .633)

1 hour ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I personally believe that if it wasn't for COVID that this issue would have been rectified this season.   We will see what happens in 21-22, however now with 2 less non-conference games because of the move up of St. Thomas

Maybe, but I have my doubts... I think last year EWU was supposed to play here and instead we played an away game at EWU, so to get back to even we would need two games from them or another big sky school, since we were owed the return end of one of our Big Sky challenge games, and the game @ EWU should be treated as a seperate home and home, if we're keeping score, because you would think that Big Sky games would be home and homes.

We also are owed a return game from the WAC challenge, as well, as I believe Seattle bailed on us last year.  

In my book, we are owed at least 3 home D1 games with no return from us.  

I really doubt that happens over the next couple years.  Hope I'm wrong.

We all want the same things. I do believe we are on the right track, at least the men’s program. Not sure about the women’s.  

I just don’t think we need to lose and lose so that we can “learn” from it. We can “learn” by winning too. At least I wish we try the winning route some times.

Again, idk. Maybe the expectation is we have winning seasons every now and then and not worry about it. Just try and enjoy the journey. Maybe losing the way we lost to su bothers me more than it should. 

probably