SiouxSports.com Forum

2020-21 World Juniors in Edmonton

sioux rube

57 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Yes Canada, we think the 18 time winner of the WJC is trash.  Completely disrespectful of the 19 or whatever first round picks.  

Canada Twitter is on fire.  Revenge for sure next year!!!!:silly:

Who would have thought that Canada would need to rely on an artificial boost like revenge to be King of the hockey world?    Shouldn't that have been on their minds yesterday after people kept telling them that the U.S. had beaten Canada the last 3 times they met in the Gold Medal game?

50 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

For the first time all tournament, Canada looked like the slower team for long stretches.

And they were forced to play in their own end for long stretches. 

I don't think they were ready for either of those. 

I didn't watch much of Canada's games before last night, but I was surprised how out of sorts (or what I assume is out of sorts) they looked, all things considered.  Then when they did have their chances, they were snake-bitten / had bad luck (hitting a post, puck rolling instead of flat, pass behind its intended receiver, fanned on the shot, etc).

On the broadcast last night the announcers mentioned that Nate Leaman joins Mike Eaves and Dean Blais to coach an NCAA champion and WJC Gold Medal.  (They also threw Bob Motzko a bone by saying he could join the club if he takes the Gophers all the way this year - uff).  But anyway, 2013 coach Phil Housley appears to have never been involved in college hockey as either a player or coach.  I found that interesting.

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

On the broadcast last night the announcers mentioned that Nate Leaman joins Mike Eaves and Dean Blais to coach an NCAA champion and WJC Gold Medal.  (They also threw Bob Motzko a bone by saying he could join the club if he takes the Gophers all the way this year - uff).  But anyway, 2013 coach Phil Housley appears to have never been involved in college hockey as either a player or coach.  I found that interesting.

Phil Housley went straight from High School to the NHL after the 1981-82 season. 

12 minutes ago, sioux rube said:

Gee some Canadiens are getting upset about a trash can that was actually a barrel 

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/usa-barrel-world-juniors-canada-controversy-1.5863046

Wow!

After the game, however, controversy stirred. U.S. players and coaches were posing for a team picture with the trophy and its gold medals when a barrel was brought out with a Canadian logo. According to Zegras, the barrel is something they did throughout the tournament.

"We pretty much had a barrel for each team we were playing," Zegras said in his post-game interview. "Each game we just wanted to get to the next barrel. Today was our last barrel. We threw the Canada sign up there, [put] it on the ice and took our picture. It was kind of our thing this tournament."

Sounds reasonable to me. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Goon said:

Phil Housley went straight from High School to the NHL after the 1981-82 season. 

I read that.  Pretty crazy to make that jump.  I suppose with no college ties, there was no real pull towards coaching at that level.  (BTW, I was born in 1982, so I've been oblivious to this story my whole life)

4 hours ago, sioux rube said:

Gee some Canadiens are getting upset about a trash can that was actually a barrel 

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/usa-barrel-world-juniors-canada-controversy-1.5863046

I'm amazed that Team USA came up with such a fantastic excuse in such a short time that both Zegras and Leaman nailed.  

Your move Canada.  

15 hours ago, Dustin said:

I read that.  Pretty crazy to make that jump.  I suppose with no college ties, there was no real pull towards coaching at that level.  (BTW, I was born in 1982, so I've been oblivious to this story my whole life)

I was in high school at the time and I remember that happening. He was truly a special player.  I wonder if he'd been from a different time zone he would've been a one and done in college somewhere?

Could you imagine us losing the last four national championship games we played against the gophers?  

My dad's side is all Canadian, he's dual because both of his parents were born in Canada, before making their way south after marriage.  His Canadian cousins in Winnipeg talked loads of trash since Christmas day, but now aren't responding to any texts we are sending back.:lol:

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Could you imagine us losing the last four national championship games we played against the gophers?  

My dad's side is all Canadian, he's dual because both of his parents were born in Canada, before making their way south after marriage.  His Canadian cousins in Winnipeg talked loads of trash since Christmas day, but now aren't responding to any texts we are sending back.:lol:

This is why trash talk is always a bad idea.