SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Recruits - 2004/05 Updates

jk

Tidbits from today's Forum:

Minnesota Mr. Hockey finalist T.J. Oshie of Warroad will attend the University of North Dakota this fall instead of playing in the USHL for one season as originally planned. The forward scored 100 points and led the Warriors to the Class 1A title as a senior. Moorhead defenseman and Mr. Hockey winner Brian Lee will likewise make the immediate jump to UND, while prep teammate Chris VandeVelde, a forward and Mr. Hockey finalist, will meet with Sioux coaches regarding his options following the NHL combine in early June.
Former Fargo North standout Aaron Walski plans to walk on to the University of North Dakota men's hockey team. The goaltender recently completed his first season with the Bismarck Bobcats of the North American Hockey League.

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really would have to wonder who is on the bubble now, just looking at the numbers, they really can't bring anyone else in unless someone were to leave. We all have an idea about who it may be, but then again who would have guessed Murray would be gone, it's hard to say.

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats to Jake Marto on a great Baseball season. He is a great athlete and should be a great player in a year or two. No one posted it, but wasn't he named North Dakota's Baseball Player of the year. At the State Tourney he outpitched the best pitcher in the state. gotta love seeing great athletes joining the Sioux team in the future.

Marto, the East Region senior player of the year, and Mr. Hockey, fired a six-hitter, walking three and striking out 10. Hennessy, the West Region senior player of the year and Mr. Basketball, fanned a dozen, walked three and surrendered five hits.

http://bismarcktribune.com/articles/2005/0...local/spt01.txt

Congrats to Jake Marto on a great Baseball season.  He is a great athlete and should be a great player in a year or two.  No one posted it, but wasn't he named North Dakota's Baseball Player of the year.  At the State Tourney he outpitched the best pitcher in the state.  gotta love seeing great athletes joining the Sioux team in the future.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agree, great job, now its time to get into the weight room gain some weight and get ready to shine at UND, I think he has a lot of offensive skills. I watched this kid during the ND hockey tourney and he is definately a good player. Central was not as loaded as their teams past and Jake was definately one of the best players in the ice during the east region and state tourney. Jake can take the puck from end to end and bury the puck.

Article on Lee and VandeVelde from the Forum.

But before putting much thought into his pro career, the rangy forward has to nail down his plans for this fall: either follow Lee directly to the University of North Dakota or play one season with the USHL's Lincoln Stars. Right now, he's leaning toward the latter.

"It's either go to UND and not get a lot of playing time," VandeVelde said, "or go to juniors and be one of the top guys and come out next year and make an impact at UND."

I would say at this point it is a matter of the almighty dollar vs. what Mr. Vandevelde would really like to do. I doubt there is room for him right at this pooint in time, unless someone else were to leave. I'm sure this has laees to do with whether or not he's ready to play vs. do we have the coin.

Maybe I'll get flamed for saying this, but I'm going to come out and say it:

I think Chris made a good choice. I like his reasoning and I agree with it even though we will still be heavy at forward next year. We are only losing Marvin (role player) and Prpich (impact *ouch* player). Greene may be gone after next season or he may leave before next season. Who knows, but if Greene goes before next season, Prpich will be the only impact player we lose to graduation.

With question marks like Martens (who could very well turn into another Fabian from the looks of things) and early departures, things could go both ways.

Smart move by Chris. It's a move I wish we had the luxury of giving TJ Oshie (not saying TJ couldn't or shouldn't make the team).

I might get flamed for saying this, but I don't think Chris or TJ would have too many problems getting playing time, as I have stated before I think some folks will be surprised when they see TJ play and I think the same could be said for Vandy. Again, I have to go with the coaching staff and what they decide, they know whats best for the team, and these recruits.

Nice to see Toews on a roster full of serious MJ talent.  It makes me wonder how "serious" Hockey Canada was about banning him, and his brother, from representing their country if they went the college route.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As I have said before, Canada is never satisfied within anything less than a gold in hockey therefore, I always knew Toews would be included. However, I am confused as to why they have invited a useless plug like the Goofer's UpChucko to their Junior Evaluation Camp this summer. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
It doesn't appear that Dahl will be the coach there much longer though, with Motzko moving in...maybe that played a part in his decision to commit to SCSU?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Doesn't matter. Dahl's had rosters of talent, and managed to pi** it away, either by driving players away early or by swooning in December. Anyway, Motzko is at least a season or two away from replacing the Dahl. Good luck to Ammerman, but I'd like to think he could have gone to a better college program. :silly: