SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Recruits - 2004/05 Updates

jk

The Fighting Sioux brass wouldn't put Oshie in a position that would hinder his development. I would have to say playing w/ much better players at UND then USHL will only enhance his development and exploit his playmaking, ice vision and leadership qualities.

His off ice training this summer at UND & Grillo's Hockey Camps in Nisswa, the NHL Combine Camp in June w/ Vandy and Lee and skating w/ the Pro's at hockey camps will only make him better and more prepared then heading to Sioux Falls next year.

His on-ice leadership and passion for the game is contagious to the players around him. Plus having Berry and Eades working with him every day with extra on-ice training with be beneficial..

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Fighting Sioux brass wouldn't put Oshie in a position that would hinder his development.  I would have to say playing w/ much better players at UND then USHL will only enhance his development and exploit his playmaking, ice vision and leadership qualities. 

His off ice training this summer at UND & Grillo's Hockey Camps in Nisswa, the NHL Combine Camp in June w/ Vandy and Lee and skating w/ the Pro's at hockey camps will only make him better and more prepared then heading to Sioux Falls next year.

His on-ice leadership and passion for the game is contagious to the players around him.  Plus having Berry and Eades working with him every day with extra on-ice training with be beneficial..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's all nice and good, but there are only so many slots. The one thing that Sioux Falls can guarantee him that UND can't necessarily do at this time is one big thing:

1. Immediate and lots of playing time.

Sioux Falls (Isn't that Berry or Hakstol's former coaching haunt?) will give him plenty of development. Sure, it's not UND, but there is plenty of developmental opportunities there.

Not sure about Berry but Hak coached in Sioux City not Sioux Falls. Anyways as I've said before I hope Oshie plays in the USHL next year because I think we have enough talented forwards next year. I think the year in the USHL will help him and he will become a great player. Also I think with Martens coming in we definitely don't need another forward for next year especially assuming the Foyt and Marvin are still the utility guys.

There were 13 forwards on last year's roster. In the Final Five, Murray, Kaip and Prpich were out, and Fabian was hurt but played anyway (I think). That's 4 down, leaving 9 forwards and a few converted defensemen. I think 13 is too few by about two.

Aside from the regular injury concerns, I think the Sioux forward roster has three specific risks: Stafford leaving early, Kaip suffering another concussion, and Miller's shoulder rehabilitation not being complete by the Fall (although maybe this is already fine, and I'm just not aware an a distant observer).

With all 15 forwards present and healthy, playing time would be a tricky issue. My preliminary guess is that these guys are "regulars':

Prpich

Murray

Porter

Stafford

Spirko

Zajac

Toews

That leaves 5 spots for 8 players:

Fabian

Kaip

Duncan

Kozek

Mertens

Miller

Oshie

Watkins

Again, without seeing anyone play, my first guess is that the guys most at risk for sitting in the stands are Fabian, Kaip, Mertens and Miller. It's hard to see Fabian, who was not far from being Frozen Four MVP, and Kaip, who was a promising regular, on this list, so maybe my first guess is not a good one at all. It should be interesting to watch, and unfortunately injuries will make the coaches' decisions a little easier.

There were 13 forwards on last year's roster.  In the Final Five, Murray, Kaip and Prpich were out, and Fabian was hurt but played anyway (I think).  That's 4 down, leaving 9 forwards and a few converted defensemen.  I think 13 is too few by about two. 

Aside from the regular injury concerns, I think the Sioux forward roster has three specific risks: Stafford leaving early, Kaip suffering another concussion, and Miller's shoulder rehabilitation not being complete by the Fall (although maybe this is already fine, and I'm just not aware an a distant observer).

With all 15 forwards present and healthy, playing time would be a tricky issue.  My preliminary guess is that these guys are "regulars':

Prpich

Murray

Porter

Stafford

Spirko

Zajac

Toews

Fabian

Kaip

Duncan

Kozek

Mertens

Miller

Oshie

Watkins

Again, without seeing anyone play, my first guess is that the guys most at risk for sitting in the stands are Fabian, Kaip, Mertens and Miller.  It's hard to see Fabian, who was not far from being Frozen Four MVP, and Kaip, who was a promising regular, on this list, so maybe my first guess is not a good one at all.  It should be interesting to watch, and unfortunately injuries will make the coaches' decisions a little easier.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I do not see Stafford as an early defection candidate at all this year, he will undoubtedly be back for next season. I think we have plenty of talent at forward to work with. D will be the big concern as far as youth and depth quality.

I expect Stafford back, but I'm not as certain as you. We don't know what the professional hockey landscape will look like with a new CBA, so it's hard to be sure what will happen. There may be a rush of signings; there may be few. I just know that with a first-round draft choice, the risk is always present.

There were 13 forwards on last year's roster.  In the Final Five, Murray, Kaip and Prpich were out, and Fabian was hurt but played anyway (I think).  That's 4 down, leaving 9 forwards and a few converted defensemen.  I think 13 is too few by about two. 

With all 15 forwards present and healthy, playing time would be a tricky issue.  My preliminary guess is that these guys are "regulars':

Prpich

Murray

Porter

Stafford

Spirko

Zajac

Toews

Fabian

Kaip

Duncan

Kozek

Mertens

Miller

Oshie

Watkins

Again, without seeing anyone play, my first guess is that the guys most at risk for sitting in the stands are Fabian, Kaip, Mertens and Miller.  It's hard to see Fabian, who was not far from being Frozen Four MVP, and Kaip, who was a promising regular, on this list, so maybe my first guess is not a good one at all.  It should be interesting to watch, and unfortunately injuries will make the coaches' decisions a little easier.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

jk, I like your logic, but I would expect to see Fabian and Kaip with Prpich on the third line (checking line). We will have a ton of offensive talent, but will need a checking line.

Also, I think it is safe to say that the Sioux will be able to roll 4 lines all year next year. I for one don't expect to see Oshie next year, but I am usually wrong. If he does come it is because the staff is aware of an upcoming defection. I think that he will take the playing time in Sioux Falls. Either way, I think he will be a good player, but I am certain that Oshie in years 2-5 post high school will be better than Oshie years 1-4 post high school. Whenever Oshie does come to UND, it will be good to have him.

I don't disagree about Oshie being better in years 2-5. I have only included him based on word here on the SS board (didn't you know that everything you read on the internet is true?) that he was likely to come in this Fall. It's fine with me either way. As CouteaRinkRat says, I'll trust the coaches on this one.

I expect Stafford back, but I'm not as certain as you.  We don't know what the professional hockey landscape will look like with a new CBA, so it's hard to be sure what will happen.  There may be a rush of signings; there may be few.  I just know that with a first-round draft choice, the risk is always present.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would wager that Stafford will be back.

If we believe the recent reports (Walski, Alexander, Martens), here's how I see the roster shaping up (names in no particular order).

15 forwards:

Prpich, Stafford, Murray, Porter, Fabian, Foyt, Zajac, Spirko, Kaip, Duncan, Watkins, Kozek, Toews, Miller, Martens.

9 defensemen:

Greene, Marvin, Smaby, Bina, Radke, Chorney, Jones, Lee, Alexander.

3 goaltenders:

Parise, Lamoureux, Walski.

With that group of forwards, Lee Marvin won't play as a fourth liner unless the unspeakable happens regarding injuries. Marvin's value is probably best suited next season as a veteran penalty-killing sixth defenseman. Scott Foyt has only skated maybe a half-dozen shifts at defense in his UND career and his most memorable moments have been when he's been playing forward. That explains how/where I list those two.

I view Alexander heading to UND as a signal that Robbie Bina is probably going to use 2005-2006 as a year to make sure that neck is completely healed. I, personally, just don't see how any doctor could clear anyone having undergone that surgery into a high-speed contact sport without giving the bones ample time (a year?) to heal. A mistake could mean consequences of the worst nature. I want Robbie Bina to have a full normal life (hockey or no hockey).

As far as Oshie, I've believed all along that he, and Vandevelde, and now Marto, are "early departure" insurance. If we see Oshie this fall (my guess he'd be first one in) I'd guess it's because a name in my list of forwards isn't at UND this fall. My guess at who that could be might surprise some folks (and I really have nothing to base it on other than a feeling).

Not long ago, when the roster was at 24, I was saying the roster seemed short. Now, with a 15-9-3 for 27 layout (or is it 15-8-3 and Bina sits out a year) it seems shaped to meet the needs of both quality, high-speed practices and gameday competition.

If we believe the recent reports (Walski, Alexander, Martens), here's how I see the roster shaping up (names in no particular order).

15 forwards:

Prpich, Stafford, Murray, Porter, Fabian, Foyt, Zajac, Spirko, Kaip, Duncan, Watkins, Kozek, Toews, Miller, Martens.

9 defensemen:

Greene, Marvin, Smaby, Bina, Radke, Chorney, Jones, Lee, Alexander.

3 goaltenders:

Parise, Lamoureux, Walski.

With that group of forwards, Lee Marvin won't play as a fourth liner unless the unspeakable happens regarding injuries. Marvin's value is probably best suited next season as a veteran penalty-killing sixth defenseman. Scott Foyt has only skated maybe a half-dozen shifts at defense in his UND career and his most memorable moments have been when he's been playing forward. That explains how/where I list those two.

I view Alexander heading to UND as a signal that Robbie Bina is probably going to use 2005-2006 as a year to make sure that neck is completely healed. I, personally, just don't see how any doctor could clear anyone having undergone that surgery into a high-speed contact sport without giving the bones ample time (a year?) to heal. A mistake could mean consequences of the worst nature. I want Robbie Bina to have a full normal life (hockey or no hockey).

As far as Oshie, I've believed all along that he, and Vandevelde, and now Marto, are "early departure" insurance. If we see Oshie this fall (my guess he'd be first one in) I'd guess it's because a name in my list of forwards isn't at UND this fall. My guess at who that could be might surprise some folks (and I really have nothing to base it on other than a feeling).

Not long ago, when the roster was at 24, I was saying the roster seemed short. Now, with a 15-9-3 for 27 layout (or is it 15-8-3 and Bina sits out a year) it seems shaped to meet the needs of both quality, high-speed practices and gameday competition.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you care to elaborate on who you have a suspicion may not be back next year. Any insider info???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think Fabian will be a better player on what i saw at the end of the year. He was hurt most of last season so if he can stay healthy he will be a regular player.

Regarding Fabian, it seems to me that a good deal of regression on his part would be necessary in order for him not to be a regular in next season's lineup - and as hard as he is known to work - both on the ice and in the classroom - that does not seem at all likely. Simply put, the kid is a stud. I would love to see what he, Porter and Prpich could do together.

Do you care to elaborate on who you have a suspicion may not be back next year.  Any insider info???

Nothing "inside", just a sense. Like I said:

... I really have nothing to base it on other than a feeling ....

I agree with redwing.

Oshie, Vandy and Marto should come for 2006. 2005 is a huge class already. Even if any of the other forwards leave I still cant see any of those guys coming early. A year in the USHL could help them get more prepared for the WCHA.

From what I saw from Oshie is that he isnt as big as Vandy but he can still hit when he needs to. Gaining some muscle still would be helpful for all 3 of those recruits.

Why is there 3 walk-ons this year and will any of them play? Alexander, Mertens, and Walski what will happen. I know Walski is basically for practice but how about Mertens since I know nothing about this guy.

I will say Foyt and Marvin more than likely wont even dress 6 games combined next year with all these talents coming in.

Sorta off topic, but Chad Johnson (the Moorhead Spuds Hockey player) just committed to Concordia of Moorhead to play football.  So much for his hockey career.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you mean Cory Johnson?? He is the only Johnson I have heard of coming out of Moorhead hockey. Chad Johnson is a wide receiver for the bengals. But what do I know maybe there really is a chad johnson for moorhead?

For anyone who's interested, there's a nice little blip about Dave Toews (Jon's younger brother) here: http://hockeyscouting.ca/index.php?module=...b&tid=1&pid=955

Says he's rated 2nd for this years WHL draft, and that he's a great all around player (kinda reminds me of zajac).

With Jon coming to UND maybe Dave is also looking that direction. He's definatey a prospect, hopefully he has an interest to follow in his big brothers footsteps.

FWIW, The linked article was from July, 2004. Since then, Toews and Rogan completed a season with SSM's bantam team. Toews led the team in scoring with 151 points in 69 games, while Rogan was the team's sixth leading scorer with 73 points in 68 games. Obviously, the two prospects have diverged a bit in the last year. Also, I know Toews was eventually selected 117th overall in the WHL draft, and I'm not sure whether Rogan was drafted. As discussed at the time, Toews was selected so late because the WHL teams think it likely that he will choose the NCAA route.