SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Recruits - 2004/05 Updates

jk

It doesn't appear that Dahl will be the coach there much longer though, with Motzko moving in...maybe that played a part in his decision to commit to SCSU?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It would seem that you are correct. Although I cannot find a link, there was an article in today's Forum regarding his signing.

Of note:

But the Huskies showed virtually no interest until the middle of May when they hired Bob Motzko - who had been recruiting Ammerman for Minnesota - as an assistant coach.
They weren't ever really in the picture, Ammerman said.

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TSN's Top 30 Draft Prospects

14. Brian Lee

TEAM: Moorhead (USHS)

POSITION: Defence

HEIGHT: 6'3

WEIGHT: 200 lbs.

BORN: 03/26/87 - Moorhead, Minn.

ISS RANKING: 31st among skaters

NOTES AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS: Represented the U.S. at the 2005 World Junior Hockey Championship...Played three seasons with Moorhead High School in Minnesota and signed a letter of intent to play for the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux in the 2005-2006 season.

BOB MCKENZIE'S TAKE: Another one of those wild cards who is getting lots of support as a top 15 pick but a prospect some teams don't even have as a first rounder. As good as he is, scouts still can't believe the rangy blueliner was named to the U.S. world junior team and Jack Johnson wasn't. He is, however, projected as an offensive defenceman in the Jordan Leopold mold and is slated to run the University of North Dakota power play next season.

Statistics GP G A PTS

2004-05 12 0 3 3

As good as he is, scouts still can't believe the rangy blueliner was named to the U.S. world junior team and Jack Johnson wasn't.

Statistics  GP  G  A  PTS 

2004-05 12 0 3 3

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not making an argument one way or another, but I really don't think this needed to be included in Bob McKenzie's take on Brian Lee.

I'm not making an argument one way or another, but I really don't think this needed to be included in Bob McKenzie's take on Brian Lee.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. It's water under the bridge, and it's not as if one different defenseman would have changed the way Team USA played at the WJC.

I agree. It's water under the bridge, and it's not as if one different defenseman would have changed the way Team USA played at the WJC.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not only dmen, would have had to replace a couple forwards that had no interest in their own end also.

• 3 weeks later...

I took the "not so cordial" part as that the NHL wasn't asking Brian to attend the draft, but demanding. I've not read of any telecast plans for the draft. With ESPN walking away from NHL, I expect the draft to be held in a media vacuum.

I can't understand how Oshie is ranked lower than Fisher - or Vandevelde for that matter. All are very good players, but Oshie sees the ice better and has the best offensive skills. I'm guessing the 5'10 height is the only reason he is ranked lower - I'll never understand how they think 2" makes you that much better of a hockey player.

I can't understand how Oshie is ranked lower than Fisher - or Vandevelde for that matter. All are very good players, but Oshie sees the ice better and has the best offensive skills. I'm guessing the 5'10 height is the only reason he is ranked lower - I'll never understand how they think 2" makes you that much better of a hockey player.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe a woman was on the 'ranking' committee :D .

I can't understand how Oshie is ranked lower than Fisher - or Vandevelde for that matter.  All are very good players, but Oshie sees the ice better and has the best offensive skills.  I'm guessing the 5'10  height is the only reason he is ranked lower - I'll never understand how they think 2" makes you that much better of a hockey player.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oshie is ranked ahead of the others by the NHL Central Scouting Bureau among others. From what I've seen with my own eyes, Fisher is significantly behind the other two in his development. Vandevelde made huge strides last year.

• 3 weeks later...

Brian Lee to wear #22 for UND:

Quick Hits with Senators draft pick Brian Lee

Q.H.: People were surprised when the Senators selected you ninth overall in the NHL entry draft. If you would have been forced into a prediction, when would you have guessed you'd be picked?

B.L.: I was thinking probably more between 12 and 15, somewhere in there. I was hoping to be a Top 10 pick, but I wasn't sure if that was reasonable or not.

Q.H.: Has it all sunk in yet?

B.L.: Yeah, I think so. It was such a great weekend, but it's not like other sports where you go straight to the team after the draft, so I'll just go back to work this week and take it from there.

Q.H.: You were given a tour of the Corel Centre after you were drafted ... what impressed you most about that?

B.L.: It's obviously a great facility. The locker room is unreal, the rink is unreal. Even the weight room, the training room is really nice. But what impressed me the most was how nice the people were. Our limo driver was such a nice guy, and the guy at the rink, "Brooksie" ... they were such nice people.

Q.H.: How did you celebrate on Saturday night?

B.L.: I celebrated with my family, we went to a little Italian place down in the market area, then right back to the hotel because we had a flight the next morning and we had to be at the airport for 4:30 a.m.

Q.H.: What was the party like when you got back to Minnesota?

B.L.: There wasn't really a party. My girlfriend picked me up at the airport and we just went back to the lake. There was a couple of my buddies waiting for me there, and it was nice to see them. Then it was back to the usual on Monday.

Q.H.: Who's the one player you look forward to meeting most on the Senators?

B.L.: They have so many good players ... Daniel Alfredsson, Zdeno Chara ... it's tough to just pick one.

Q.H.: What jersey number do you wear, and why?

B.L.: 22. Brian Leetch wears No. 2, so I wear 22. I've worn it through high school, and I'm wearing it at the University of North Dakota.

Q.H.: You're listed at 6-foot-21/2, 200 lbs.? Are you trying to add weight, or are you good at that size?

B.L.: I'm trying to get bigger, obviously. I don't know if I could play at 240, but probably 215, 220 right in there.

Q.H.: What's your training regiment like in the summer?

B.L.: I train four days a week, lift pretty hard, run a lot, skate a lot too. It's pretty busy.

Q.H.: Who's cracking the whip?

B.L.: Dominic Noonan from Moorhead. He trains our whole high school team. I've been training with him for the past five or six summers.

Q.H.: What's your favourite way to spend time that doesn't involve hockey?

B.L.: I love being at the lake. We have a cabin on Detroit Lake in Minnesota. It's really nice. I love to golf, too.

Q.H.: What kind of golfer are you?

B.L.: Average, I'd say.

Q.H.: Your handicap?

B.L.: Probably between seven and 10.

Q.H.: That's a lot better than average. What's the strongest part of your game?

B.L.: I'm a pretty good iron guy.

Q.H.: Your favourite TV show?

B.L.: I really like Boy Meets World, and Friends, too.

Q.H.: Your favourite food?

B.L.: Pizza.

Q.H.: Your specialty in the kitchen?

B.L.: I'm not much of a chef. I can hardly cook anything at all. I can make a pretty good omelette.

Q.H.: Who's your best friend?

B.L.: Spencer Deutz. He was a goalie for our team last season.

Q.H.: Do you know where you fit into U.N.D.'s plans this season?

B.L.: They lost a lot of D-men, so hopefully I'll be able to step in and play right away.

Q.H.: If you had no hope of a career in sports, what would you do?

B.L.: I'd probably be an anesthetist. That's what my mom is.

Q.H.: What does your dad do?

B.L.: He's in the process of selling his grain elevator company. So he just kind of bums around, doing odd jobs around the lake for now. He'll get a job in the fall, I'm sure.

Q.H.: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

B.L.: Playing in the NHL. Hopefully, an all-star calibre player, and hopefully playing for the same team: Ottawa.