SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Recruits - 2004/05 Updates

jk

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Little bit on Oshie from Hockey's Future.

Rising

T.J. Oshie / Warroad HS (MN)

Position: Center Height: 5-11 Weight: 190

Oshie is a skilled, hard-nosed forward who can score. He will play any style you throw at him. Oshie played with Niskanen in the same all-star game. He was the best forward on the ice in this game, as he contributed offensively, played with great determination, was physical and was a one-on-one threat whenever he was on the ice. He had an outstanding tournament and will be attending the University of North Dakota. Oshie has a great work ethic and is well coached.

Surrey pounds Vernon again, 7-4 this time. Kozek was 2-2-4 and Watkins 1-2-3. I don't follow it too closely, but I think Surrey's recent success is a big surprise, as Nanaimo and Vernon were considered the class of the league. After falling behind Nanaimo 2-0 in the last series, Surrey beat them in seven games. They're now up 2-0 over Vernon. Check out the third period penalties from last night:

PERIOD 3

Surrey Eagles at 2:29 - Kyle Nason for Roughing After Whistle (2 Min.)

Surrey Eagles at 2:59 - Tim Crowder for Misconduct (10 Min.)

Vernon Vipers at 2:59 - Matt Watkins for Elbowing (2 Min.)

Surrey Eagles at 5:53 - David Rutherford for Roughing (2 Min.)

Surrey Eagles at 10:39 - Korey Diehl for Elbowing (2 Min.)

Surrey Eagles at 10:54 - Matt Girling for Roughing (2 Min.)

Surrey Eagles at 13:52 - David Moncur for Unsportsmanlike Conduct (2 Min.)

Surrey Eagles at 17:11 - Tyler Eckford for Slashing (2 Min.)

Surrey Eagles at 17:17 - David Rutherford for High Sticking (2 Min.)

Surrey Eagles at 17:57 - Tyson Angus for Slashing (2 Min.)

Surrey Eagles at 20:00 - Kyle Nason for Fighting (5 Min.)

Vernon did chop Surrey's 6-1 lead down to 6-4 on three PP goals before Surrey ended it with an ENG. Must have been some pretty unhappy Surrey fans as it was happening, though.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I think Brian Lee would benefit from another year in Jrs. I don't know how much of his tenativeness came from not practicing with the Stars and only playing weekends. I really wanted to be impressed because of all the hype surrounding him, but I just couldn't. I don't know how he'd do at the college level, at times he seemed lost while he was in Lincoln. As long as UND eases him into the line up, he should be ok .

I'm probably in the minority here, but I think Brian Lee would benefit from another year in Jrs. I don't know how much of his tenativeness came from not practicing with the Stars and only playing weekends. I really wanted to be impressed because of all the hype surrounding him, but I just couldn't. I don't know how he'd do at the college level, at times he seemed lost while he was in Lincoln. As long as UND eases him into the line up, he should be ok .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

With the state of the Sioux defense next year Lee is going to have to be able to come in and take a regular shift. There will be no easing him into the lineup and that will be the case even if both the Matt's stay.

Seems kind of arrogant.

I did have my pick of where I could go, but it was a matter of finding the right school and finding the right coach than it was about time."
"I've seen the guys that have gone down and the guys that are leaving this year," Street said. "I feel I'm every bit as good, if not better, than those guys."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The only real knock against Lee is his conservative play it big games. In HS he would look incredible against weaker teams, then seemed to regress against quality teams. The ability is always there, I think he just worries too much about getting scored on. The kid is too humble - if you've ever spoken to him or heard him speak, he hates all the attention he's gotten. Maybe they should have him talk to that Street kid WI just signed - he can teach him how to be an arrogant prick :lol:

I think he will be ok once he takes some pressure off of himself. Once he gets to UND and realizes there are several other players with his talent I think he will do just that.

I have seen Lee play 6 games this year including all three at the state tournament. I agree that at times he seems a little conservative. I also think alot of times he just skated backwards and kept the forward in front of him rather than stepping him up at the blueline. I especially thought he did this in the finals against Holy Angels. Instead of stepping up early he let them into the zone giving them scoring chances. I don't know if it was because Holy Angels had faster forwards than hes seen or if he just thought they couldn't create many opportunities from where they were on the ice. Anyways I think all will be changed here at UND and Hak and Berry will make him into a phenomenal defenseman if he isn't already.

The only real knock against Lee is his conservative play it big games. In HS he would look incredible against weaker teams, then seemed to regress against quality teams. The ability is always there, I think he just worries too much about getting scored on. The kid is too humble - if you've ever spoken to him or heard him speak, he hates all the attention he's gotten. Maybe they should have him talk to that Street kid WI just signed - he can teach him how to be an arrogant prick :lol:

I think he will be ok once he takes some pressure off of himself. Once he gets to UND and realizes there are several other players with his talent I think he will do just that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have see lee play just one time this year live, and it was in Moorhead against Bloomington Jefferson. Coming into the game, all i ever heard was hype about how great this kid is. When i saw him play, i wasnt overly impressed, here are my thoughts. The kid has great poise in the defensive zone when he has the puck, and is looking to break out and get it moving up ice. He also took control of the puck in the offensive zone a few times, and looks very comfortable there, and has a great, quick wrister from the blue line. the biggest knock that i saw was that he gave to little attention to his man in the defensive zone. When jefferson was coming down on him one on one, or two on two, his guy seemed to always beat him, and its not like Lee didnt have the position, he just seemed to believe that if they got around him, he could make up for it. It jsut seemed that he needed to make more things happen at this blue line and not sink so far into the zone.

Watching the state tourney on tv, he got beat a few times in the same way against holy angels, and they both wound up as goals. I just think he needs to be more aggressive at the blue line, and there is no doubt that the Sioux coaches will take care of that. should be a great d-man by the end of his college career, just needs some work on his defense right away.

I saw in Heiserberg's site that Mick Berge, the son of Mark and Jody Berge, signed to play for MSU-Mankato next year. Mick Berge plays for the Lincoln Stars. Mark Berge played for the Sioux in the late 70's/early 80's, and he and Jody both attended GF Red River HS. Also, former Sioux Craig Ludwig's son is going to Western Michigan.