SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-2022 Recruiting

UND Fan

I watched Huntsberry for Mary play in the NSIC tournament a couple weeks ago against Duluth. He was great in that one game sample. Scored 40-some points, had great control of the game, and had a great demeanor on the floor. Yes, it's D2, but I came away very impressed with his performance against one of the best teams Division 2. Couldn't help but think that it was probably going to be his last game for Mary given the current environment. 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, NewUndFan said:

Maybe i am just gun shy after our last Brenden Howard experiment.  I dont think he ever got picked up by a city team either.  

Sueker came from a D2 and he turned out alright, when he was healthy. 

Howard went to an NAIA school.

He mentioned about not getting as many minutes as he though he would.   Ironically, the same day he left the team, Sueker got injured. (The bolded is a quote from Raulston during the pre-game when UND played Eastern Washington). So had he stayed... he would have gotten more minutes. 

14 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Sueker came from a D2 and he turned out alright, when he was healthy. 

Howard went to an NAIA school.

He mentioned about not getting as many minutes as he though he would.   Ironically, the same day he left the team, Sueker got injured. (The bolded is a quote from Raulston during the pre-game when UND played Eastern Washington). So had he stayed... he would have gotten more minutes. 

Didn’t Howard come from MSU-Billings? They are d2 I believe 

3 minutes ago, GoodGood said:

Didn’t Howard come from MSU-Billings? They are d2 I believe 

1 minute ago, UNDFan2577 said:

Yeah getting a D2 guy is not comparable to getting an NAIA guy. Defense is optional most of the time in the NAIA ranks. The biggest differences between levels are length and defensive intensity, and the biggest gap by far is between NAIA and D2, not D2 and D1.

Sueker knew what to expect, as would any other D2 guy we would bring in. I think Howard had a rude awakening at this level because he learned that if you can’t defend, you can’t play.

Sorry, should have clarify that Howard went to a NAIA school after UND. 

I just need to get a better attitude and be as positive as you guys are.  But this Bruns leaving really got me down.  Since Sather took over here are the kids that have left.  Moody, Eikens, Gertautus Urbanavicious  , Altebauers, Marko Coudreau,  Rebraca, Carlos Ramsey,  Seybian Sims , Ihenacho and now Bruns.   There was others that left that I feel were not D1 players so didnt include them.  The ones I listed all I think are as good or better then the team we had out there this year.   If players keep leaving are we just going to keep saying its just the way college basketball is?    When do we find those players that want to play for Sather and UND?   How long do we wait?   And Yes I know Rebraca wasnt his decision to leave.   I would take G & Marko over T any day as big guys.   Ok rant over.  I need to just get over it...  

-One departure was due to an academic/visa issue. UND didn't offer the in-person grad classes that the player needed to keep their visa. If that issue didn't exist, I doubt we're talking about this one
-Another was a kid that UND spent a fair amount of time being eligible for D1 athletics and didn't have other options at that level. First chance at somewhere else, they bolted. Not sure what you do about that, but it sucks.
-Another is likely leaving to play with his brother. Based on what the suspected team he might be heading to, he's going to see a drastic cut in playing time. Not winning much this year didn't help.
-A couple on that list were additions by subtraction.
-A few others weren't getting the playing time they felt they deserved or were told the playing time they were getting was going to go down.

I only see 3-4 transfers over the last couple years that should be considered a big deal and one of them was out of everyone's control. That being said, they were some pretty big hits.

3 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

-One departure was due to an academic/visa issue. UND didn't offer the in-person grad classes that the player needed to keep their visa. If that issue didn't exist, I doubt we're talking about this one
-Another was a kid that UND spent a fair amount of time being eligible for D1 athletics and didn't have other options at that level. First chance at somewhere else, they bolted. Not sure what you do about that, but it sucks.
-Another is likely leaving to play with his brother. Based on what the suspected team he might be heading to, he's going to see a drastic cut in playing time. Not winning much this year didn't help.
-A couple on that list were additions by subtraction.
-A few others weren't getting the playing time they felt they deserved or were told the playing time they were getting was going to go down.

I only see 3-4 transfers over the last couple years that should be considered a big deal and one of them was out of everyone's control. That being said, they were some pretty big hits.

Like I said I wish I could be that positive.  At the time I didnt have issues with all these players leaving either.  But what I am frustrated with is what we replaced those players with.  In my opinion we have steadily recruited worse players then we were losing and the players we lost were not that great.  But still better then what we have now.  If our current players played the players that left who would win?  Minus Rebraca.  

i like that the mary kid has played recently.......we need someone mature (physically and mentally) and ready to lead and SCORE!

could care less where they come from and yes mitch is / was/ going to be  a difference maker before he got hurt....he's a hell of an athlete

3 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

i see G ubraniasous gave him a shout out on twitter for the charleston southern offer but not the und offer...can we take g back next year????????????

I don't think G would ever come back here.  Unless he can defend at the D1 level, he is perfect at the D2 level. 

Scoring was never the issue with G.