SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

1 hour ago, UND1983 said:

I see you left out where more people have it than we know....meaning it isn't nearly as dangerous as we thought and certainly not as fatal as many were thinking/hoping.  The fatality rates drops bigtime as testing ramps up.

which means that the big big headlines should read ..."chinese flu not nearly as deadly as first thought...not even fu:(*()ing close"

4 hours ago, UND1983 said:

I see you left out where more people have it than we know....meaning it isn't nearly as dangerous as we thought and certainly not as fatal as many were thinking/hoping.  The fatality rates drops bigtime as testing ramps up.

Well, it has killed a lot of people, so it is either deadly or transmits very easily.  That makes it dangerous either way.

3 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

which means that the big big headlines should read ..."chinese flu not nearly as deadly as first thought...not even fu:(*()ing close"

So, to be clear, after 120,000 US deaths (and counting) the headlines should be, “whew, that wasn’t very deadly”?  That is some tortured logic there.

7 minutes ago, wxman91 said:

So, to be clear, after 120,000 US deaths (and counting) the headlines should be, “whew, that wasn’t very deadly”?  That is some tortured logic there.

It's all comparison based.  Being we have never shut down schools, an economy, and lost 40 million jobs for anything else in recent memory, it's been pretty underwhelming when you factor that in, which is a pretty big factor.  Also, considering we can easily compare yearly causes of death, yah it's been not nearly as bad as most said and hoped.  

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

We gave the experts three months, flatten the curve, to get an understanding and prepared.

This is viral.

This genie is out of the bottle.

It will take it’s share. Get over it; viruses kill people. 

And all we can do is react. We are not in control. Nature is.

I say drop all the restrictions.

Then you decide how you want to play it. Live your freedom your way. 

2/1 thru 6/20 per CDC 160 COVID (related) deaths 24 and younger. Under 14......28. 

#saferathomethanatschool

10 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

We gave the experts three months, flatten the curve, to get an understanding and prepared.

This is viral.

Are you quoting Greg Abbott from May here?

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

2/1 thru 6/20 per CDC 160 COVID (related) deaths 24 and younger. Under 14......28. 

#saferathomethanatschool

It’s hard to argue no school when night clubs are packed, the President is holding rallies with thousands indoors, and mass protests, but you do realize there’s not much school happening in the summer months right?

11 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

This is viral.

We’ve gained a decent understanding of COVID.  We don’t have a vaccine so the best avoidance methods are masks and restricting close contact indoors.  Pay extra attention to the elderly and those with preexisting conditions, especially lung-related.  Make sure that workers in densely-populated industries have proper PPE.

Transmission outdoors seems minimal, so open up the parks, beaches, etc.  The impact on school-aged children is minimal, so let the schools open with some modifications allowed for teachers.  I am in a district where parents will be given a choice for distance-learning.  I will be sending my daughter in.

North Dakota seems to be doing fine.  A few dozen positive tests a day. Low population density certainly seems to help. ND has, seemingly appropriately, moved to a low level of restrictions.

So, my question is, who exactly are you referring to when you talk about removing all restrictions?  North Dakota, or the US in general?  Why should the rules in a low COVID-impacted state apply to other places that aren’t doing well?

Moving to the political side, this board certainly leans to the Conservative/Libertarian side.  The calls for “opening up the country”, however, are pretty much opposite of the federalism system you seem to defend so heavily.  Maybe someone from the R/L side can tell me why Greg Abbott and the Rs in Texas at the state level eliminated the ability of the large cities in TX to put on additional restrictions.  Isn’t a core tenet of conservatism local control?  It seems like conservatives have ceded their response to COVID to their leader, who’s only care in the world is re-election.

It's an election year....for the office of President.  I stated back in March, "I really wish this wasn't an election year".  Everything is skewed because of it.  

Then again, what a coincidence this goes down during the year of our mostly hotly contested, polarizing election possibly ever.  

Report: At Least 54,000 Coronavirus Deaths Linked To Nursing Homes

While only 11% of confirmed coronavirus cases have been linked to nursing homes and long-term elderly care centers, Americans living or working in nursing homes have accounted for approximately 43% of coronavirus-linked deaths, according to The New York Times.

The Times, which has compiled a database of COVID-19 cases, reports that about 12,000 nursing homes and care centers have been linked to 282,000 cases. Of these cases, 54,000 people have died.

“Infected people linked to nursing homes also die at a higher rate than the general population,” reports the Times. “The median case fatality rate — the number of deaths divided by the number of cases — at facilities with reliable data is 17 percent, significantly higher than the 5 percent case fatality rate nationwide.”

3 hours ago, wxman91 said:

We’ve gained a decent understanding of COVID.  We don’t have a vaccine so the best avoidance methods are masks and restricting close contact indoors.  Pay extra attention to the elderly and those with preexisting conditions, especially lung-related.  Make sure that workers in densely-populated industries have proper PPE.

Transmission outdoors seems minimal, so open up the parks, beaches, etc.  The impact on school-aged children is minimal, so let the schools open with some modifications allowed for teachers.  I am in a district where parents will be given a choice for distance-learning.  I will be sending my daughter in.

North Dakota seems to be doing fine.  A few dozen positive tests a day. Low population density certainly seems to help. ND has, seemingly appropriately, moved to a low level of restrictions.

So, my question is, who exactly are you referring to when you talk about removing all restrictions?  North Dakota, or the US in general?  Why should the rules in a low COVID-impacted state apply to other places that aren’t doing well?

Moving to the political side, this board certainly leans to the Conservative/Libertarian side.  The calls for “opening up the country”, however, are pretty much opposite of the federalism system you seem to defend so heavily.  Maybe someone from the R/L side can tell me why Greg Abbott and the Rs in Texas at the state level eliminated the ability of the large cities in TX to put on additional restrictions.  Isn’t a core tenet of conservatism local control?  It seems like conservatives have ceded their response to COVID to their leader, who’s only care in the world is re-election.

you do know the difference between "restrictions" and "your barber shop is now CLOSED indefinitely and if you open up you will go to jail and pay a hefty fine"

big big difference

It’s a virus. It will run its course and take its share. To quote the old TV commercial, “You can pay me now or you can pay me later.” 

I say open it all up. Not all will, and they'll damage their local economies (and citizenry*) further. Their choice, But that local control also means local responsibilities — don’t go looking for a Federal bail out for a local decision. 

I say that because I don’t see a useful trustworthy vaccine before mid-2021. (I will not take any of the first three batches.) 

Two million, eight hundred thousand Americans, yes, 2,800,000 die annually because ... nature. Welcome to nature. We are not in control. 

*The physical and mental health damage done already is near incalculable. ER walk-in heart attacks down 40%; ER walk-in stroke down 50%! Missed cancer screens. The “second wave” will be when all those untreated issues can no longer be ignored and show up to the doctor when treatment is not viable. 

• Upvote 4

Now three new symptoms: diarrhea, nausea, runny nose. 

https://www.the-sun.com/news/1047021/cdc-three-new-coronavirus-symptoms-diarrhea-runny-nose/

A while back I said I went through ORD in mid-January and was as sick as I’ve ever been two weeks later to the day for about 36 hours. Coincidence? My symptoms? Nausea, diarrhea, chills, fever, fatigue, body aches ... just like in the CDCs updated list. 

Data

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/individual-states  

Tests done each day ramping up. At steady positive rate new cases would ... go up.

But the data also shows since about June 14 the positive rate is going up. 

And the incubation is about 14 days we are told.

So what happened about 14 days before June 14 that may have kicked up the spread? Hmmm ... were there some large gatherings or something? 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

32 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Data

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/individual-states  

Tests done each day ramping up. At steady positive rate new cases would ... go up.

But the data also shows since about June 14 the positive rate is going up. 

And the incubation is about 14 days we are told.

So what happened about 14 days before June 14 that may have kicked up the spread? Hmmm ... were there some large gatherings or something? 

If you are implying that the protests are the cause, that doesn't make much sense based on the states that are jumping.  The better correlation is with states that reopened early.  The virus transmission appears to be high for indoor, close-proximity locations (e.g. bars) not outdoor gatherings with face masks.

edit - NBER working paper https://www.nber.org/papers/w27408.pdf

The take-home message:

Likewise, while it is possible that the protests caused an increase in the spread of COVID-19 among those who attended the protests, we demonstrate that the protests had little effect on the spread of COVID19 for the entire population of the counties with protests during the more than three weeks following protest onset. In most cases, the estimated longer-run effect (post-21 days) was negative, though not statistically distinguishable from zero.

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

It’s a virus. It will run its course and take its share. To quote the old TV commercial, “You can pay me now or you can pay me later.” 

I say open it all up. Not all will, and they'll damage their local economies (and citizenry*) further. Their choice, But that local control also means local responsibilities — don’t go looking for a Federal bail out for a local decision. 

I say that because I don’t see a useful trustworthy vaccine before mid-2021. (I will not take any of the first three batches.) 

Two million, eight hundred thousand Americans, yes, 2,800,000 die annually because ... nature. Welcome to nature. We are not in control. 

*The physical and mental health damage done already is near incalculable. ER walk-in heart attacks down 40%; ER walk-in stroke down 50%! Missed cancer screens. The “second wave” will be when all those untreated issues can no longer be ignored and show up to the doctor when treatment is not viable. 

We wasted trillions of dollars and thousands of lives because some radical assholes managed to pull off a once-in-a-generation attack on the country that killed 3,000 people.  Not doing something because people die each year anyway is a hollow argument.  

3 minutes ago, wxman91 said:

We wasted trillions of dollars and thousands of lives because some radical assholes managed to pull off a once-in-a-generation attack on the country that killed 3,000 people.  Not doing something because people die each year anyway is a hollow argument.  

One was a human attack; one was nature. 

Or are you saying COVID was a human attack. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, The Sicatoka said:

One was a human attack; one was nature. 

Or are you saying COVID was a human attack. 

People are dead.  Why is the distinction important when both can be fought?

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, wxman91 said:

If you are implying that the protests are the cause, that doesn't make much sense based on the states that are jumping.  The better correlation is with states that reopened early.  The virus transmission appears to be high for indoor, close-proximity locations (e.g. bars) not outdoor gatherings with face masks.

Protests.

Memorial Day.

Reopening.

The virus will get it’s share. Nature always wins. 

1 minute ago, wxman91 said:

People are dead.  Why is the distinction important when both can be fought?

The viruses were here first and will be here after we are gone.

Herd immunity is the best weapon we have, a well developed human immune system. But it comes at a price, as does any war.