SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

2 minutes ago, dynato said:

Markets are already driven by consumer choices, are they not? That would lead me to believe more people are consuming their product because masks are mandated and that revenue would dip if the airline switched their stance making masks optional. Once the risk, or perception of risk, from catching COVID has diminished, that is when I see it switching to masks being optional. 

I'm not quite sure what you are saying. Demand for all travel and ancillary services (especially voluntary and leisure) literally fell off a cliff, and as I recall, airline mask mandates were implemented across the board roughly simultaneously. So people flying HAD to fly, and they had NO choice about masks. Therefore, I don't think anyone has enough data to determine relative impact of any single factor, or cause and effect.

However, I stand on my hypothesis...that given the choice, there are consumers who will be drawn to the first airline that does not require masks.

2 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

I'm not quite sure what you are saying. Demand for all travel and ancillary services (especially voluntary and leisure) literally fell off a cliff, and as I recall, airline mask mandates were implemented across the board roughly simultaneously. So people flying HAD to fly, and they had NO choice about masks. Therefore, I don't think anyone has enough data to determine relative impact of any single factor, or cause and effect.

However, I stand on my hypothesis...that given the choice, there are consumers who will be drawn to the first airline that does not require masks.

It was no federal agency mandating masks though, it was left up to each private airline. From what I've found, the FAA did not mandate masks across all of the USA, the airlines themselves did. The masks were not implemented early on, they were implemented months into the pandemic (in like June just like Menards). It wasn't until airline implemented protective measures for consumers like masks and no middle seats, that they saw passenger counts and revenue rise again. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, dynato said:

It was no federal agency mandating masks though, it was left up to each private airline. From what I've found, the FAA did not mandate masks across all of the USA, the airlines themselves did. The masks were not implemented early on, they were implemented months into the pandemic (in like June just like Menards). It wasn't until airline implemented protective measures for consumers like masks and no middle seats, that they saw passenger counts and revenue rise again. 

But if you look at the big picture, even if people resumed traveling for reasons OTHER than voluntary (by the airlines) mask mandates, once they re-entered that marketplace there were NO options about masks.  So to try to link increased airline revenue with the implementation of mask protocols -- in the absence of choice -- is a bit disingenuous.

56 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

If lockdowns work why is a second needed? 

It depends on the definition of work.  Most of my family is still alive, I have my job, my finances improved, and I have not gotten COVID. So would you say the lock down worked for me or failed me?

-I don't believe the first lockdown was timed or applied correctly across most of America and was a complete over-reaction for many localities. It was a bad decision to do in Grand Forks when we had no cases to begin with. I said early on that we our reaction to covid should be based on local health care providers input and not political input. Now that it is coming down to local health care providers, people have PTSD because of what politicians have done and are overly resistive. 

16 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

I can wear a damn mask if its the cheapest or most convenient flight available.  Who cares.  

1 minute ago, UND1983 said:

I can wear a damn mask if its the cheapest or most convenient flight available.  Who cares.  

But "choice" takes into account cost and convenience.  All things being equal, I think there will still be a difference.  Hell, at this point, I would pay an extra $50-100 and connect through Laramie if it meant not wearing a mask.

16 minutes ago, dynato said:

FAA can not implement mask mandates from my understanding.  They are not a health regulating authority.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

By the way, I hate masks - foggy glasses and harder to breathe. But I think it is being responsible.

You are free to both hate and wear.  Nobody can (or should) take either of those freedoms away from you.

We all make choices that others might find irresponsible. Line drawing becomes a real problem very quickly.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Friday and where is the beef (fraud).

I admit every election has bad stuff but it’s time for the transition to proceed without trumps roadblocks.

All Trump needs to do is win a single case of fraud. Even if it's a fraudulent ballot voting for him, it will be enough to rally his followers to attack our democracy.

5 minutes ago, homer said:

FAA can not implement mask mandates from my understanding.  They are not a health regulating authority.  

Fair enough. The FAA does has influence on the actions of airlines at a minimum and has not taken a stance on masks. The CDC recommends, but does not mandate that airline passengers must wear masks. The CDC also does not impose a limit on air craft capacity either. So this leads me to believe they are consumer driven decisions by the airlines, as most of their other decisions are. 

2 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

That was a Flop.

The Flip is in the Georgia 2 Senates races.
I encourage M's of people to move into Georgia and vote in these 2 Senate runoff races.

Thats fraud and per GA secretary of state, that's up to 10 years and a $100K fine.

I too encourage liberals to go do that.

20 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Grand Forks School Board to be presented distance-learning plan Monday, Nov. 16; COVID numbers released.
To last for 17 days

https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/6762049-Grand-Forks-School-Board-to-be-presented-distance-learning-plan-Monday-Nov.-16-COVID-numbers-released

I think unfortunately my daughter is going distance learning.