SiouxSports.com Forum

Just a thought

Zypher

I wanted to start by saying I love the site! Thank you for having it. After being a member here for a year now, I wanted to ask a question about the user interface, finding topics, and mainly general ease of use.

I personally have found it hard at times to find hard to find some things, other times, when I want to read about specific things, I have to go thru multiple pages just to find what I am looking for. Now I know u can search for things, but that doesn’t alway find what I am looking for.

That being said, I was wondering if you have ever thought of doing a nested sub-topic setup on the site, similar to the one below? I think it would be a major game-changer for the site.

UND Sports section

Hockey

-UnCategorized This would be a stopping ground for each topic in this category until sorted. It would be removed once all topics were sorted out.

-Gameday

-Current Team Talk (Can be archived at end of season yearly into sub-folder)

-News (Current “in the news”)

-Recruiting

-Ticket Sale/Request

-Road Trip Talk (Place where fans can talk about upcoming road trips, and where to meet up before the game)

-General NCHC Talk

-Colorado College (General talk

-Denver

-Miami

-Minnesota Duluth

-Omaha

-St. Cloud State

-Western Michigan

-Non-Con Talk

Football

-UnCategorized This would be a stopping ground for each topic in this category until sorted. It would be removed once all topics were sorted out.

-Gameday

-Recruiting

-Ticket Sale/Request

-Road Trip Talk (Place where fans can talk about upcoming road trips, and where to meet up before the game)

-General NCAA Talk

-Conference Talk (Discussions about Joining a conference for FB)

Mens Basketball

-Gameday

-Recruiting

-Ticket Sale/Request

-Summit League Talk

-General NCAA Talk

-Denver

-Omaha

-NDSU

-Oral Roberts

-Purdue - Ft. Wayne

-South Dakota

-SDSU

-Western Illinois

-Non-Con Talk

Womens Basketball

-Gameday

-Recruiting

-Ticket Sale/Request

-Summit League Talk

-General NCAA Talk

-Denver

-Omaha

-NDSU

-Oral Roberts

-Purdue - Ft. Wayne

-South Dakota

-SDSU

-Western Illinois

-Non-Con Talk

Volleyball

-Gameday

-Recruiting

-Ticket Sale/Request

-Summit League Talk

-General NCAA Talk

-Denver

-Omaha

-NDSU

-Oral Roberts

-Purdue - Ft. Wayne

-South Dakota

-SDSU

-Western Illinois

-Non-Con Talk

Other Sports

-Individual Sub Category for each sport and club (These would not have the organization the main sports have.) Women’s Hockey would be moved here after other topics moved into sub-category folders.

UND Community section

-NCAA News would be moved into individual section related to topic.

-UND Nickname Discussion of the Fighting Hawks nickname and the former Sioux nickname

-Local Community Topics of interest at UND, in Grand Forks, and in North Dakota.

-Marketplace an area where UND fans can sell UND memorabilia to others

Local Prep a place to talk about local North Dakota and Western Minnesota High School Sports.

-Hockey

-Football

-Mens Basketball

-Womens Basketball

-Volleyball

-Other Sports

Other

-Pro/Amateur Sports Talk (Could have sub-sections for major sports)

-Random Thoughts a forum for any other topics not listed above.

-Admin (siouxsports.com) Questions and comments on the web site and message forums

Now I understand from being an admin and co-admin on other sites, that doing an undertaking of this sort takes time. But in the end, I think it would be well worth the effort. But, one cannot do it alone. I would possibly enlist the help of some of the long-time members to assist in the sorting of topic. Maybe members with more than 5,000 points or ones with like 500-1000 or more post could help flag and sort with you. But, you could allow general users to flag a topic once moved if they think it was put in the incorrect area.

Again, please don’t take my comment here as negative or slamming the hard work that you do on the site. I know from personal experience it’s not easy. Thank you for hearing me out.

• 4 months later...

I'm just picking this thread because I also have a thought and there's no reason to create new threads:

Can we create an option to ignore entire threads? Before I completely quit SiouxSports because every thread turns into politics, it would be nice to choose to only see the ones that are actually related to sports. 

Or if 5 people flag a post as political, then it doesn't appear if you have a setting checked. Clearly, the politics have been allowed to go unchecked into threads other than the 5g and it has ruined this board.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

On 6/24/2020 at 2:14 PM, southpaw said:

I'm just picking this thread because I also have a thought and there's no reason to create new threads:

Can we create an option to ignore entire threads? Before I completely quit SiouxSports because every thread turns into politics, it would be nice to choose to only see the ones that are actually related to sports. 

Or if 5 people flag a post as political, then it doesn't appear if you have a setting checked. Clearly, the politics have been allowed to go unchecked into threads other than the 5g and it has ruined this board.

What? Were you triggered by the Coronavirus thread? We could find you a safe space if you need it. :)  Seriously, you sound like @jack from twitter. Let's squash any subject or title that you deem offensive or objectionable. Keep in mind, there may be others that want to read it. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Melvin said:

What? Were you triggered by the Coronavirus thread? We could find you a safe space if you need it. :)  Seriously, you sound like @jack from twitter. Let's squash any subject or title that you deem offensive or objectionable. Keep in mind, there may be others that want to read it. 

I'm in no ways triggered by a thread I haven't read in months. And I'm not saying get rid of that thread. 

I do miss the SiouxSports where there were no politics involved in nearly every thread. 

@Oxbow6 showed in the Nashville thread that you can make a post that is relevant to the topic while not bringing politics into. That's 100% ok.

But we don't need constant mentions in the threads about the political side of things. 

For example,  I can say that the likelihood of the Nashville game continues to dwindle due to significantly more concern about venues holding large audiences. 

What I don't want to see in every thread are political comments, for example talking about how the Trump administration has severely neglected the importance of testing and tracing and that's why so many southern states are now reversing their opening strategies while the US has seen not only the highest number of positive tests but also a higher positive testing rate within those tests. 

I also don't want to see posts comparing the US to Europe and the number of positive cases, despite the same number of tests, because that's politics and shouldn't be allowed outside of the Dumpster Fire thread. 

If wanting to talk about sports on a site called SiouxSPORTS makes me a snowflake, I sincerely apologize to the true snowflakes that are offended by this idea. 

57 minutes ago, southpaw said:

What I don't want to see in every thread are political comments, for example talking about how the Trump administration has severely neglected the importance of testing and tracing and that's why so many southern states are now reversing their opening strategies while the US has seen not only the highest number of positive tests but also a higher positive testing rate within those tests. 

I also don't want to see posts comparing the US to Europe and the number of positive cases, despite the same number of tests, because that's politics and shouldn't be allowed outside of the Dumpster Fire thread. 

If wanting to talk about sports on a site called SiouxSPORTS makes me a snowflake, I sincerely apologize to the true snowflakes that are offended by this idea. 

You don't want to see political statements, and then you turn around and make a political statement. M'kay… What you're really saying is I don't want to see any pro-Trump comments or arguments. You only want to see big orange man, very bad. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, southpaw said:

I'm in no ways triggered by a thread I haven't read in months. And I'm not saying get rid of that thread. 

I do miss the SiouxSports where there were no politics involved in nearly every thread. 

@Oxbow6 showed in the Nashville thread that you can make a post that is relevant to the topic while not bringing politics into. That's 100% ok.

But we don't need constant mentions in the threads about the political side of things. 

For example,  I can say that the likelihood of the Nashville game continues to dwindle due to significantly more concern about venues holding large audiences. 

Don't click on the thread, or scroll on by.  There's a couple options.   These are process changes I've found useful, outside of the feature functionality of the forum software.  

Just now, keikla said:

That's kind of the point.  There needs to be some sort of identifier for threads that are full of political b.s. (from either side).  It's obvious to skip the dumpster fire thread (I learned that lesson several weeks ago), but the political diatribe is invading a lot of other threads too, and there is nothing to indicate that from the thread title.

There are plenty of places where I can get political news, commentary and so on. I come here to get away from all that crap. People need to can the politics and focus on UND sports.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

There are plenty of places where I can get political news, commentary and so on. I come here to get away from all that crap. People need to can the politics and focus on UND sports.

I agree and I apologize for my example only including the deficiency of the current administration. 

I also should have included that I don't want to see posts from Democrats saying that masks are necessary and that preventing the spread of coronavirus is reliant on everyone. 

Who knows which one is backed by facts and which one is bull$%!#. Regardless, let's keep it out of posts in other threads. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, southpaw said:

I agree and I apologize for my example only including the deficiency of the current administration. 

I also should have included that I don't want to see posts from Democrats saying that masks are necessary and that preventing the spread of coronavirus is reliant on everyone. 

Who knows which one is backed by facts and which one is bull$%!#. Regardless, let's keep it out of posts in other threads. 

That's okay, I understood the point you were trying to make.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, keikla said:

That's kind of the point.  There needs to be some sort of identifier for threads that are full of political b.s. (from either side).  It's obvious to skip the dumpster fire thread (I learned that lesson several weeks ago), but the political diatribe is invading a lot of other threads too, and there is nothing to indicate that from the thread title.

Pretty sure he knows whats in that thread.  It's called willpower.   

1 hour ago, keikla said:

I miss your posts on the pandemic. I was wondering if we could keep the train wreck thread and then have a new Cornoavirus thread. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2020 at 12:03 PM, fightingsioux4life said:

There are not many local websites where people can discuss politics. The only one I know of is nodakangler.com but if I was a never trumper I wouldn’t go on there!

On 6/26/2020 at 1:00 PM, 90siouxfan said:

IMHO, until some sports actually look to occur, some leeway can be allowed.  Too bad discourse is not practiced with respect and  civility.

Can you imagine if there isn’t sports this fall what we all will have to talk about!?!? Honestly they need to crack down on the politics outside of the dumpster thread.