SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (5-7) @ Nebraska (5-6) 12/21 5 PM

SWSiouxMN

UND did what they needed to do against a lower division team, crushing them like a bug.   Now they head back on the road for their final 2 non-conference games of the season.  First stop is down in Lincoln, where they will take on the Cornhuskers of Nebraska.

About Nebraska:

Nebraska is in the winds of change.  That changed started in 2017 when Bill Moos was brought over to be the AD.  Once he was on board, the rumors began to swirl that Miles would be in danger of losing his job... which then of course happened 18 months when Moos fired Miles.   There is two ways of looking at this:  Miles was a .500 coach in Nebraska and was 52-76 in conference play and only went to the NCAA once in 7 years. Plus with a new arena and practice facility,  that meant that the program needed to take the next step and doing what Miles had done wasn't getting it done anymore.  So there was reason to believe change was necessary.  There is also this:  Did you see what Miles replaced?  It wasn't that special people....   Yes. Hoiberg is a big name to have been lured back to the college ranks, but will he be given the necessary time to build the team in his image.  It was an absolute overhaul of this roster and it has been a struggle so far this year for Nebraska.  Minnesota and Nebraska were picked next to each other in the Big 10 preseason polls (MN 12th, NEB 13th), but if you ask me... there is a bit of a gap between teams.  With freshman and transfers trying to be meshed in to a rugged Big 10, it will be a long year in Lincoln.  There is hopes that this isn't a long rebuild.

About Fred Hoiberg:

The Mayor has returned to the college ranks after spending some time with the Chicago Bulls, which unfortunately did not work out, however not all of it was his fault.  Before then, he spent 5 years at his alma matter, Iowa State.  In his 5 years, he went 115-56 and 49-39 in the Big 12 and made the NCAA 4 times in a row.  He wasn't afraid to take 2nd chances on players, such as Royce White and Korie Lucious.  If there was one drawback, although he did win 2 conference tournament championships and 1 Sweet 16 appearance, there wasn't the deep run in March Madness or a regular season title to go with it.  Would Nebraska take that level of success?  Yes.  Will Nebraska get to that level of success?  We will see.

Series: 

Nebraska leads the series 3-1

Key Player: Dachon Burke Jr (6'4 Junior) 

The one main returner from last years team has been a big help for this young squad.  While his overall numbers are down, his 3 point shooting percentage is up from last year.  So far, he is averaging 13.7 ppg, 3.9 rpg, and at near 40% 3 point shooting.  There have been some clunkers so far this year, but he also have had some big games to show for it as well.   His first two conference games have been solid, averaging almost 22 points per game.  If Nebraska is going to have to overachieve and climb up the standings, he is going to have to continue to put up these big numbers.  

Keys:

1) Take care of the ball:  UND cannot keep turning the ball over at a high rate.  This would be the first test after having some practice time.  Can they knock it down to around 12-15 turnovers a game?  That would be a great start.

2) The stars need to be stars:  Marlon and Rebraca are the two big stars of this squad, and they need to play like it.  Marlon needs to drop 20+ and Rebraca needs to get a double-double.  UND gets both?  The might have a better chance of getting the win.

3) Knock down 3s:  UND is going to have to hit shots.  Marlon needs to knock them down, Billy needs his performance from the 17th to continue, Walter needs to keep hitting right around 40%.  

The Call:

If this was a more experienced team, I would give them a serious shot of winning in Lincoln.  This will be a battle of inexperience teams in Lincoln.  If UND is going to win this one, they are going to have to hit some shots and take care of the ball.  Marlon and Rebraca needs to have big games and stay out of foul trouble.  DAE needs to play like a star.  I would LOVE to see them win this one and it is quite possible they can.  However.... I just don't think this team is ready to do that.  I think they give them a run for their money, but they fall just short.

Nebraska 81-72 

Game is on Big Ten Network Plus.

*We will see if I can get to watch, will be traveling to the heart of the NoDak tomorrow

20 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

UND did what they needed to do against a lower division team, crushing them like a bug.   Now they head back on the road for their final 2 non-conference games of the season.  First stop is down in Lincoln, where they will take on the Cornhuskers of Nebraska.

About Nebraska:

Nebraska is in the winds of change.  That changed started in 2017 when Bill Moos was brought over to be the AD.  Once he was on board, the rumors began to swirl that Miles would be in danger of losing his job... which then of course happened 18 months when Moos fired Miles.   There is two ways of looking at this:  Miles was a .500 coach in Nebraska and was 52-76 in conference play and only went to the NCAA once in 7 years. Plus with a new arena and practice facility,  that meant that the program needed to take the next step and doing what Miles had done wasn't getting it done anymore.  So there was reason to believe change was necessary.  There is also this:  Did you see what Miles replaced?  It wasn't that special people....   Yes. Hoiberg is a big name to have been lured back to the college ranks, but will he be given the necessary time to build the team in his image.  It was an absolute overhaul of this roster and it has been a struggle so far this year for Nebraska.  Minnesota and Nebraska were picked next to each other in the Big 10 preseason polls (MN 12th, NEB 13th), but if you ask me... there is a bit of a gap between teams.  With freshman and transfers trying to be meshed in to a rugged Big 10, it will be a long year in Lincoln.  There is hopes that this isn't a long rebuild.

About Fred Hoiberg:

The Mayor has returned to the college ranks after spending some time with the Chicago Bulls, which unfortunately did not work out, however not all of it was his fault.  Before then, he spent 5 years at his alma matter, Iowa State.  In his 5 years, he went 115-56 and 49-39 in the Big 12 and made the NCAA 4 times in a row.  He wasn't afraid to take 2nd chances on players, such as Royce White and Korie Lucious.  If there was one drawback, although he did win 2 conference tournament championships and 1 Sweet 16 appearance, there wasn't the deep run in March Madness or a regular season title to go with it.  Would Nebraska take that level of success?  Yes.  Will Nebraska get to that level of success?  We will see.

Series: 

Nebraska leads the series 3-1

Key Player: Dachon Burke Jr (6'4 Junior) 

The one main returner from last years team has been a big help for this young squad.  While his overall numbers are down, his 3 point shooting percentage is up from last year.  So far, he is averaging 13.7 ppg, 3.9 rpg, and at near 40% 3 point shooting.  There have been some clunkers so far this year, but he also have had some big games to show for it as well.   His first two conference games have been solid, averaging almost 22 points per game.  If Nebraska is going to have to overachieve and climb up the standings, he is going to have to continue to put up these big numbers.  

Keys:

1) Take care of the ball:  UND cannot keep turning the ball over at a high rate.  This would be the first test after having some practice time.  Can they knock it down to around 12-15 turnovers a game?  That would be a great start.

2) The stars need to be stars:  Marlon and Rebraca are the two big stars of this squad, and they need to play like it.  Marlon needs to drop 20+ and Rebraca needs to get a double-double.  UND gets both?  The might have a better chance of getting the win.

3) Knock down 3s:  UND is going to have to hit shots.  Marlon needs to knock them down, Billy needs his performance from the 17th to continue, Walter needs to keep hitting right around 40%.  

The Call:

If this was a more experienced team, I would give them a serious shot of winning in Lincoln.  This will be a battle of inexperience teams in Lincoln.  If UND is going to win this one, they are going to have to hit some shots and take care of the ball.  Marlon and Rebraca needs to have big games and stay out of foul trouble.  DAE needs to play like a star.  I would LOVE to see them win this one and it is quite possible they can.  However.... I just don't think this team is ready to do that.  I think they give them a run for their money, but they fall just short.

Nebraska 81-72 

Game is on Big Ten Network Plus.

*We will see if I can get to watch, will be traveling to the heart of the NoDak tomorrow

I’m glad my prediction was wrong. 

• Like 2