SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (5-7) @ Nebraska (5-6) 12/21 5 PM

SWSiouxMN

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Sather is going to get this team back to the Dance.  May not be this year, but it will happen.  sure it's 1 win and conference play has yet to begin, but in his short time coaching this team, you can already see signs of improvement. 

I am a big backer of Sather but let’s not get too optimistic about the team’s success over this year and next. While he inherited 2-3 pretty  good players, that was about it. There is no depth and very limited talent.  It will likely take a couple of years before we he has the talent on the roster to do great things.  While we will continue to win some games we probably shouldn’t win, we better not be too optimistic!

1 minute ago, UND Fan said:

I am a big backer of Sather but let’s not get too optimistic about the team’s success over this year and next. While he inherited 2-3 pretty  good players, that was about it. There is no depth and very limited talent.  It will likely take a couple of years before we he has the talent on the roster to do great things.  While we will continue to win some games we probably shouldn’t win, we better not be too optimistic!

If you are correct, what you describe is a coach getting more than the sum of the players. I'm all for it. 

19 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

So you're saying UND will be a final four team this year?  ;)

23 hours ago, UND Fan said:

I think they can make a postseason somewhere and have a winning summit record.... perhaps being the I-29 teams a few times this year would be a good start too. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/23/2019 at 8:58 AM, UND Fan said:

I disagree with simmering expectations and not being "too optimistic". The expectations for non-hockey UND sports could use a boost, not a reduction. 

What is your definition of "great things"? Sather has already beat a Big 10 team (albeit a bad one) in his first year and has yet to play a Summit League conference schedule. It is all relative, but I think Sather and UND can do "great things" and already have done "great things" in year one. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

However we will not sneek up on the beavers like we did on the huskers.

I wouldn't short suit the Hawks.
And, at the same time I would say that if we played the Huskers next week at The Betty, the Huskers would be favorites - while we would still have a chance at the W.
We were not out coached and played competitively well till the buzzer against Nebraska and could also play as well against the Beavers.

Was a nice win. A program builder. Coach hopefully will continue to preach that winning should be the expectation. UND shot the ball well and Stewart is becoming a handful. Just happened to watch SDSU in person Friday at Frost in Brookings play Idaho. They are very athletic and young. Picked up a great JUCO transfer that looks like a raw Jerome Beasley.  Idaho was very outmatched minus one guy, Allan, who scored at will for Idaho. Allan plays a game similar to what I saw Stewert play against Nebraska. If UND plays balanced, they can give the the Division a run for their money.