SiouxSports.com Forum

Polls

UNDBIZ

On 1/22/2020 at 3:16 PM, Vegas_Sioux said:

Exactly only pole that matters is the one going to the rafters before the Manitoba game. 

Not really. Realistically need the other poll also. 

Slim shot getting that pole to raise a banner if we are not in the other poll. Only chance would be is to run the table at the conference tourney and continue through the regional and the Frozen4, very unlikely for an non-poll team.

If ranked in Pairwise, we will also be in the poll.

• 3 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

After sweeping Denver, North Dakota a near-unanimous No. 1 NCAA hockey team in USCHO.com Division I Men’s Poll
https://www.uscho.com/2020/02/17/after-sweeping-denver-north-dakota-a-near-unanimous-no-1-ncaa-hockey-team-in-uscho-com-division-i-mens-poll/

The eastern bias in the polls makes me happy (again) we have Pairwise to protect teams away from big media centers.  Using KRACH to compare objective reality is pretty startling.

Of the Eastern teams in their poll, 9 of 10 polled higher.   Sometimes by large amounts.  Harvard at #20 vs #31 KRACH was the largest.

Western teams: 1 polled higher. 8 polled lower.  Both Western Michigan and Minnesota are objectively 5 spots too low in the polls.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Well they do know who number 1 is.

I'd guess the single vote 4 D purple cows was someone from midwest being they beat us.

Do coaches participate in this poll, or is it just the writers?

I can see why MSU would get a vote.  They beat us head to head. 

2 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Well they do know who number 1 is.

I'd guess the single vote 4 D purple cows was someone from midwest being they beat us.

Mankato has been under rated all year! We don’t want to face Denver or Duluth in a regional, but I would be more afraid of Mankato than any of the other teams in college hockey! Not sure what their SOS is, but they just keep winning, maybe Bemidji can hang one on them before the final pairwise ranking.

1 minute ago, mattim said:

Mankato has been under rated all year! We don’t want to face Denver or Duluth in a regional, but I would be more afraid of Mankato than any of the other teams in college hockey! Not sure what their SOS is, but they just keep winning, maybe Bemidji can hang one on them before the final pairwise ranking.

I don't want to us to meet Mankato or Duluth in the NCAA's.

I know PWR is what matters most right now, but KRACH is telling a story. 

In KRACH it's the top two, the next three, and then a schmazel from six to sixteen.

And lurking in that schmazel is a team that's quietly risen to KRACH7: Beware the Beavs. They're quietly on quite a run. 

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

In KRACH it's the top two, the next three, and then a schmazel from six to sixteen.

And lurking in that schmazel is a team that's quietly risen to KRACH7: Beware the Beavs. They're quietly on quite a run. 

I do not want BSU in UND's bracket.

14 hours ago, burd said:

Do coaches participate in this poll, or is it just the writers?

I can see why MSU would get a vote.  They beat us head to head. 

On the road, in week 2, by a goal, in one of two games (total goals 6-5 on the weekend).  I understand if that happened recently, especially if they did it in our barn, but that is not the case. How often are two series with the same team completely different in the first half of the year vs the second half of the year.  Polls are dumb but thankfully they don’t matter in college hockey. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

They were pretty impressive a couple weeks ago in kato. Surprisingly, they weren't playing the stereotypical bemidji game of slowing it down, stalling and just striking when they had a shot. They still played a slower game, but much more offensive than I'm used  to from them.

22 minutes ago, bale31 said:

... slowing it down, stalling and just striking when they had a shot. ... 

Hmmmm .... that rings a bell ... late 1990s, same M.O. ... wore purple ... from somewhere in southern Minnesota ... now who was that ... hmmm ... 

;) 

1 hour ago, TNF said:

On the road, in week 2, by a goal, in one of two games (total goals 6-5 on the weekend).  I understand if that happened recently, especially if they did it in our barn, but that is not the case. How often are two series with the same team completely different in the first half of the year vs the second half of the year.  Polls are dumb but thankfully they don’t matter in college hockey. 

Don't know where you are going there, but Mankato has a pretty capable team. Would consider them a close game if played today.
Mankato is #3 in USCHO poll.
Mankato is #2 in PairWise.

PW common opponents is very close, 8-1 verses 8-2.

Really, we're going to bring up something from 2 coaches ago (and 20+ years)?:D That was honestly before my time, so I don't doubt what you say, I just never saw it.

I've only been a fan from the Jutting era on. It's never been slow down, trap style hockey since Brose. Jutting's want to play up-tempo without the talent needed to play that way is part of why we were so god-awful for so long. He was very open about never teaching the trap in his career because no players wanted to play that way.Think about it we had a 10-24-5 record on a team that had Shane Joseph (All American), David Backes (very accomplished NHL player) and Travis Morin (scored 550+ points in his AHL career). Frankly, looking at a couple of those rosters from that time frame is depressing. They had so much individual talent, but they had no depth that it all got wasted.

• Upvote 2

On 2/18/2020 at 11:43 AM, bale31 said:

Really, we're going to bring up something from 2 coaches ago (and 20+ years)?:D That was honestly before my time, so I don't doubt what you say, I just never saw it.

@bale31 I just had to poke you a bit. Those MSU-M teams were a pain in the late 1990s. 

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

@bale31 I just had to poke you a bit. Those MSU-M teams were a pain in the late 1990s. 

I figured. I've heard some of the stories from that time. Apparently, the first year MSU was in the WCHA we played UND in the first round of the conference playoffs. The coaches were so convinced we were going to get swept that they didn't book hotel rooms for the night after the second game. When we won, they were scrambling to find hotel rooms. I know those teams weren't very good, but we were always a team that was a pain to play against at the very least.