SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Western Michigan

stoneySIOUX

On 12/4/2019 at 8:51 AM, Ice Arena Man said:

Where in Fargo can a person watch Fighting Sioux hockey games this weekend. Asking for a FRIEND.:D

Frank's Lounge generally has NCHC.tv on for the away games.   And a nice bourbon selection :D

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Might have been the best of mix of talent and pure motor as any as I've ever seen at UND. He never, ever quit on a shift.

I agree, but the full-on effort thing is a little complicated.  I think most of our boys give complete effort under Berry as they did for Hak and Deano.  But a player has to have confidence in his split-second choices in order to commit to them quickly and with speed.  Some players work their hardest but are a little tentative due to lower on-ice intelligence, lack of experience, more cautious nature, or just lower skill level.  I think Stecher has a combination of high energy and high on-ice intelligence that allows him to move aggressively and effectively.   Not all players have that, and not all teams have that on their rosters.   We fans are quick to conclude when they lose that it is from lack of effort.  But even when they seem to be chasing too much or sitting back, that can be attributed to other shortcomings, and it's sometimes unfair for us to say the players are lazy or don't care enough. 

You combine talent and confidence in a player or on a team and they will usually look like they are outworking the other team. 

Or maybe not.   :D

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, burd said:

I agree, but the full-on effort thing is a little complicated.  I think most of our boys give complete effort under Berry as they did for Hak and Deano.  But a player has to have confidence in his split-second choices in order to commit to them quickly and with speed.  Some players work their hardest but are a little tentative due to lower on-ice intelligence, lack of experience, more cautious nature, or just lower skill level.  I think Stecher has a combination of high energy and high on-ice intelligence that allows him to move aggressively and effectively.   Not all players have that, and not all teams have that on their rosters.   We fans are quick to conclude when they lose that it is from lack of effort.  But even when they seem to be chasing too much or sitting back, that can be attributed to other shortcomings, and it's sometimes unfair for us to say the players are lazy or don't care enough. 

You combine talent and confidence in a player or on a team and they will usually look like they are outworking the other team. 

Definitely maybe not.

13 minutes ago, burd said:

Right, which is why I said the combo of TALENT and effort was what was unique about him. 

On 12/3/2019 at 3:07 PM, sioux24/7 said:

Anyone have any insider tips on things to do in Kalamazoo? The main one I have seen is the Beer Exchange. 

There is a great Air Force museum at the airport.  Of course, I am an Air Force veteran, but it was very enjoyable.

On 12/3/2019 at 4:07 PM, sioux24/7 said:

Anyone have any insider tips on things to do in Kalamazoo? The main one I have seen is the Beer Exchange. 

If you’re into beer, Bell’s brewery is a must in K-zoo. If you want to road trip, hit Founder’s in Grand Rapids. Those are two of the best breweries in the country IMO. Air Zoo in Portage is an aerospace museum, I’ve never visited. 

12 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Might have been the best of mix of talent and pure motor as any as I've ever seen at UND. He never, ever quit on a shift.

Now I like Stech, but I have to think this is a little over the top.  No insult intended, Stoney.  He was a solid player, but motors?  I think Sykes, Hrkac, Naumenko, Panzer, Parise, Osh, Even Grimaldi.

3 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

Now I like Stech, but I have to think this is a little over the top.  No insult intended, Stoney.  He was a solid player, but motors?  I think Sykes, Hrkac, Naumenko, Panzer, Parise, Osh, Even Grimaldi.

As far as a player who gave everything he had, balls to the walls every shift, I think Stechy did this every time. Comparison wise, I think Stech just completely maximized ever inch of God given talent and his work ethic made him a UND legend, in my eyes. Certainly not a knock on any of those players listed, but in terms of maximizing his talent with this work ethic, I have no problem placing Stech up there.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

Not over the top at all, Stecher belongs in the conversation with those guys... and Naumenko is my all time favorite UND player.

6 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

As far as a player who gave everything he had, balls to the walls every shift, I think Stechy did this every time. Comparison wise, I think Stech just completely maximized ever inch of God given talent and his work ethic made him a UND legend, in my eyes. Certainly not a knock on any of those players listed, but in terms of maximizing his talent with this work ethic, I have no problem placing Stech up there.

I’ll take Chris Porter under the terms that you described. Maybe Spiewak as a personal favorite 

44 minutes ago, Tbone said:

I’ll take Chris Porter under the terms that you described. Maybe Spiewak as a personal favorite 

As defensemen go, I don't think I ever saw Matt Jones coast to the end boards or into a corner after a puck.