SiouxSports.com Forum

Manitoba Bisons @ UND -- Exhibition

stoneySIOUX

27 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

Few thoughts from the exhibition tonight.

-Puck movement was much better than at any point last season. I know it will get tougher against better teams but crisp tonight.

-Lot more creativity and skill shown from the group tonight especially the forward group.

-Mismash looked very solid tonight. Really liked him with Hain and Michaud.

-Pinto was maybe the most impressive forward to me tonight. Guy that can do a little bit of everything and do it all well.

-Interesting to see Feeney ahead of Thome at least for tonight.

Have a feeling Feeney played the second in case it became close, then they would have an experienced goalie down the stretch, but who knows.

I'm a little upset. Last year the PP was , ah, lousy. Now there's a new guy (Karl) running the PP and the boys made it look so easy a peewee team could have done it. I know it's the first game and an exhibition but I don't know if I've ever seen a Sioux team move the puck into the zone so easily. Why did Berry put up with last year's terrible PP? Karl for president! Oh, and they scored on the PP!

• Upvote 1

Three takeaway's from tonight -

1.  We moved the puck from side-to-side and up-top to down-low really well - not just "cycling" like last year.  It was much more effective and fun to watch.

2.  Things seemed crisp already, AND the struggles they did have finishing will certainly get better as everyone plays with everyone for more time.  This could be a really potent team down the stretch.

3.  Players that stood out to me were 1.) Pinto for reasons discussed by others, and he was just dominant. 2.) JBD was in much better position on D then last year, he looked like the NHL draft pick I expected last year.  3.) Michaud is a hard worker and as he becomes acclimated with UND and his linemates, he is definitely going to be fun to follow.

5 minutes ago, UND WFO78 said:

Three takeaway's from tonight -

1.  We moved the puck from side-to-side and up-top to down-low really well - not just "cycling" like last year.  It was much more effective and fun to watch.

2.  Things seemed crisp already, AND the struggles they did have finishing will certainly get better as everyone plays with everyone for more time.  This could be a really potent team down the stretch.

3.  Players that stood out to me were 1.) Pinto for reasons discussed by others, and he was just dominant. 2.) JBD was in much better position on D then last year, he looked like the NHL draft pick I expected last year.  3.) Michaud is a hard worker and as he becomes acclimated with UND and his linemates, he is definitely going to be fun to follow.

Be a little cautious about comparisons.  This was not an NCHC team they were playing.  

But I agree with many comments, including those about Pinto.  He might be one of those possession players we have been missing for a couple of years. 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

I'm a little upset. Last year the PP was , ah, lousy. Now there's a new guy (Karl) running the PP and the boys made it look so easy a peewee team could have done it. I know it's the first game and an exhibition but I don't know if I've ever seen a Sioux team move the puck into the zone so easily. Why did Berry put up with last year's terrible PP? Karl for president! Oh, and they scored on the PP!

The zone entries were the biggest thing for me.  Giving up posession a man up dumping the puck is never a great hockey play in my book.

I'm sure I wasn't the only one to notice them shrink the rink a few times and completely eliminate the pk's ability to to attack indirect passing plays off the wall.  

(Kind of reminded me of the gophers a few times trying to set up the back door play cross ice too....:whistling:)

2 minutes ago, burd said:

Be a little cautious about comparisons.  This was not an NCHC team they were playing.  

I know, I know, I am just excited for hockey again.  Although, I did see the game against Manitoba last year and our shots were much higher percentage this year, and we look much more crisp!

8 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

The zone entries were the biggest thing for me.  Giving up posession a man up dumping the puck is never a great hockey play in my book.

I'm sure I wasn't the only one to notice them shrink the rink a few times and completely eliminate the pk's ability to to attack indirect passing plays off the wall.  

(Kind of reminded me of the gophers a few times trying to set up the back door play cross ice too....:whistling:)

I was seeing shades of last year for a little while. 12 SOG and nothing past the goalie. A couple PPs and big difference.

The Mismash line looked really good. Hain is ready to take next step.

Pinto is going to be a flat out stud.

JBD........yikes. He's so good. So skilled.

KG needs a raise already. UND looked like they actually had a PP scheme last night.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

KG needs a raise already. UND looked like they actually had a PP scheme last night.

I'm such a big Karl guy.  Intelligent, a great person, and a guy that's been everywhere in the hockey world.  I would not be surprised to see him as a head coach somewhere in the next three years.  Maybe here some day.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

The Mismash line looked really good. Hain is ready to take next step.

Pinto is going to be a flat out stud.

JBD........yikes. He's so good. So skilled.

Right, I wasn’t dreading the power play unit at all.