SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs talk

2 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

I hope the Bruins win the Stanley Cup this year.  Those poor sports fans in New England have pretty much had nothing to cheer for over the past 20 years...

I get the sarcasm, but I still threw up a little in my mouth thinking of the Bruins winning the Cup...I dislike all Boston teams (college and pro) but the Bruins hold a special hatred because of their players over the years---Marchand, Chara, Lucic etc.--and their style of play. 

6 hours ago, skateshattrick said:

I get the sarcasm, but I still threw up a little in my mouth thinking of the Bruins winning the Cup...I dislike all Boston teams (college and pro) but the Bruins hold a special hatred because of their players over the years---Marchand, Chara, Lucic etc.--and their style of play. 

What is it you don’t like about Chara?  The other two guys are not fan favorites but I’ve not seen Chara play a particularly dirty style.

On 5/10/2019 at 9:45 AM, skateshattrick said:

It's all a matter of perspective.  You tell me your favorite team, and I'll pick out some from them as well over the years.  Heck, let's pick the Sioux -- Prpich, Hextall, Blake, Schriner, etc. 

• Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, tnt said:

It's all a matter of perspective.  You tell me your favorite team, and I'll pick out some from them as well over the years.  Heck, let's pick the Sioux -- Prpich, Hextall, Blake, Schriner, etc. 

The Bruins have always played on edge and they are very proud of that reputation. It is not an isolated player or 2. I mentioned only a handful. How about Dave Forbes who ended Henry Boucha’s career, Mike Milbury or Terry O’Reilly? If you ask most fans, the Bruins and the Leafs would make most lists of most hated/dirtiest teams

4 hours ago, skateshattrick said:

The Bruins have always played on edge and they are very proud of that reputation. It is not an isolated player or 2. I mentioned only a handful. How about Dave Forbes who ended Henry Boucha’s career, Mike Milbury or Terry O’Reilly? If you ask most fans, the Bruins and the Leafs would make most lists of most hated/dirtiest teams

Sounds like the same thing people say about the Sioux, playing on the edge. Marchand is an idiot, but beyond him you have guys that play physical and play hard. Most of the guys you mentioned played in the 80’s during a different time in hockey.  Remember Dean Dachyshyn, Dan Brennan, Howard Walker, Cary Eades, Jim Archibald, etc.  

10 minutes ago, tnt said:

Sounds like the same thing people say about the Sioux, playing on the edge. Marchand is an idiot, but beyond him you have guys that play physical and play hard. Most of the guys you mentioned played in the 80’s during a different time in hockey.  Remember Dean Dachyshyn, Dan Brennan, Howard Walker, Cary Eades, Jim Archibald, etc.  

Marchand is enough of a reason to hate the Bruins, but I hate their style and the fact that they are a Boston team. You can defend them all you want but I don’t get why you seem intent to convince me otherwise.

4 hours ago, skateshattrick said:

They don't play any more physical/dirty than any other team...yeah, they've had a few goons over the years but name me a team that hasn't.  Lucic always puzzled me; could not understand why he did some of the things he did.  Same with Marchand; except he can really put the puck in the net...Still not sure why you listed Chara; plays hard but not dirty.

The other guys you listed are from the 70's and 80s?  Different time and different style back then...

1 hour ago, skateshattrick said:

Marchand is enough of a reason to hate the Bruins, but I hate their style and the fact that they are a Boston team. You can defend them all you want but I don’t get why you seem intent to convince me otherwise.

Not trying to convince you of anything, just saying that if you want to support a saintly team, you should cheer for the gophers because they have never done anything beyond reproach. Of course I am being facetious.

On 5/10/2019 at 4:46 PM, Blackheart said:

What is it you don’t like about Chara?  The other two guys are not fan favorites but I’ve not seen Chara play a particularly dirty style.

Yeah, I will hang up and listen, too. Chara is one of the cleaner players in the league. Tough doesn't equal dirty. 

22 hours ago, skateshattrick said:

Not even close to being true. Not anymore. Boston is a team known for it's skating ability and goal scoring. This season, one of the writers that covers the Bruins, actually wrote that the Bruins need toughness. We get it you hate the Bruins, but your argument is about 15 years too late. This isn't our daddy's Big Bad Bruins anymore. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/bruins/bruins-need-get-tough-absence-key-players

17 minutes ago, Goon said:

Not even close to being true. Not anymore. Boston is a team known for it's skating ability and goal scoring. This season, one of the writers that covers the Bruins, actually wrote that the Bruins need toughness. We get it you hate the Bruins, but your argument is about 15 years too late. This isn't our daddy's Big Bad Bruins anymore. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/bruins/bruins-need-get-tough-absence-key-players

Brad Marchand makes every list of the dirtiest players in the NHL. See https://thehockeywriters.com/top-10-dirtiest-nhl-players/. That is just one example. Chara is on some of those lists. Chara loves to use his stick as a weapon. 

Just now, skateshattrick said:

Brad Marchand makes every list of the dirtiest players in the NHL. See https://thehockeywriters.com/top-10-dirtiest-nhl-players/. That is just one example. Chara is on some of those lists. Chara loves to use his stick as a weapon. 

See also an article from www.letsgobruins from 2016 which is titled "Pair of Bruins voted 1-2 for Dirtiest Player in the League." But I'm just making this up.....

I only caught some of the game last night, so didn't see this.  Imagine my amazement seeing this video this morning and finding out that players from other teams (not just Bruins) do this stuff!  I'm sure there's as much outrage over this as there was over Marchand's...:whistling:

*Note* - I don't agree with the comment below the video from the original poster who posted this.

2 minutes ago, sioux rube said:

Blues got hosed big time 

Don’t know how they missed that hand pass.  That was worse than the call against Vegas because Vegas just was inept at killing a 5 minute major.  In the same token, the refs missed an obvious delay of game penalty in the second while the Sharks were still leading that would have given them a chance to take a two goal lead.  Just goes to show you that professional officiating isn’t much better than college. Cross checks to the back of the head, and dangerous hits that resulted in injury.  Interesting to see if the refs apologize again, because horrible non calls both ways.

11 minutes ago, tnt said:

Don’t know how they missed that hand pass.  That was worse than the call against Vegas because Vegas just was inept at killing a 5 minute major.  In the same token, the refs missed an obvious delay of game penalty in the second while the Sharks were still leading that would have given them a chance to take a two goal lead.  Just goes to show you that professional officiating isn’t much better than college. Cross checks to the back of the head, and dangerous hits that resulted in injury.  Interesting to see if the refs apologize again, because horrible non calls both ways.

Just really hate seeing an illegal play like that decide a game, not to mention in the Western Conference finals. Like in football where every touchdown is reviewed I feel any overtime goal should be reviewed too 

On 4/24/2019 at 8:01 AM, The Sicatoka said:

At absolute worst the major should've been called as a minor for cross-checking on Eakin and a minor for interference on Stastny (or a double minor, CC and int, on Eakin). 

I guess some guys in the Toronto offices either (a) have SJS in the office pool, or (b) want to see Thornton finally lift a Cup. 

And now the non- hand pass hand pass. 

9 hours ago, Siouxperman8 said:

And the rules say they can't review it.  Might want to fix that NHL.

They can look at offsides with fuzzy, pixelized images from 60 feet away, but not a three-angles, high-def replay clearly showing a hand pass directly to a teammate. 

9 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

They can look at offsides with fuzzy, pixelized images from 60 feet away, but not a three-angles, high-def replay clearly showing a hand pass directly to a teammate. 

Exactly!  And that same fuzzy pixelated offsides could have happened 2 1/2 minutes before the goal was scored and they'd go back and review it.  UNREAL!  And how's this for a slap in the face....Timo Meier got an assist on the GWG!

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/rules/2018-2019-NHL-rulebook.pdf

According to Rule 38.4 section (ix):

"The video review process shall be permitted to assist the Referees in determining the legitimacy of all potential goals (e.g. to ensure they are “good hockey goals”).

Not sure how determining if a puck was played with a had pass doesn't fall into that category.  Anytime a goal is scored, I think everything should be reviewable in determining if it was a good goal.  And I guess I thought that that was the case, until last night.  I mean if you can review offsides that occurs well before a goal is scored, then hand passes should be reviewable as well.  The NHL will likely modify the replay rule to include hand passes next year.  Should have been in there already. 

20 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/rules/2018-2019-NHL-rulebook.pdf

According to Rule 38.4 section (ix):

"The video review process shall be permitted to assist the Referees in determining the legitimacy of all potential goals (e.g. to ensure they are “good hockey goals”).

Not sure how determining if a puck was played with a had pass doesn't fall into that category.  Anytime a goal is scored, I think everything should be reviewable in determining if it was a good goal.  And I guess I thought that that was the case, until last night.  I mean if you can review offsides that occurs well before a goal is scored, then hand passes should be reviewable as well.  The NHL will likely modify the replay rule to include hand passes next year.  Should have been in there already. 

Too bad these types of things have to happen before rules get changed.  I'm in favor of less replay because I think replays are getting out of control, however it seems to me that it's pretty elementary to just have a rule that says any goal scored in OT can be reviewed to ensure it was a legally scored goal.

• Upvote 1