SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs talk

39 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Second OT was strange while it lasted. DAL took all of the momentum, and STL darn near pi$$ed it away on a boneheaded sequence in their own end.

Montgomery still ends up with more NHL playoff wins than Hak.

Oh, did they have a bet?

• Upvote 1

On 5/7/2019 at 11:08 PM, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Montgomery still ends up with more NHL playoff wins than Hak.

If Hakstol coaches again in the NHL and wins 11 Stanley Cups in a row, some folks here will STILL grumble that he sucks as a coach because he couldn’t win an NCAA hockey title.   

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

If Hakstol coaches again in the NHL and wins 11 Stanley Cups in a row, some folks here will STILL grumble that he sucks as a coach because he couldn’t win an NCAA hockey title.   

I’ve seen no discussion about this (hence, my light-hearted jab), but as good as it was for Hakstol to make the playoffs right out of the chute in Philly and dispel the myth that the college-to-NHL coaching transition was somehow impossible, what Montgomery did in Dallas has raised the bar considerably.

I am in no position to assess whether the Stars job was inherently better or which coach had a greater impact as a rookie, but it’s actually a tremendous compliment to Dave (and the Flyers) for breaking down the wall.

1 hour ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

I’ve seen no discussion about this (hence, my light-hearted jab), but as good as it was for Hakstol to make the playoffs right out of the chute in Philly and dispel the myth that the college-to-NHL coaching transition was somehow impossible, what Montgomery did in Dallas has raised the bar considerably.

I am in no position to assess whether the Stars job was inherently better or which coach had a greater impact as a rookie, but it’s actually a tremendous compliment to Dave (and the Flyers) for breaking down the wall.

Inherently better could encompass one position -- goaltender.  Ben Bishop compared to the list of goaltenders Hakstol had at Philly.  It wasn't until after he left that they brought up Carter Hart, who performed much better than the cast they had before.  That said, how many points out of the playoffs were they when Hakstol left, and how many did they end up out of it?  Not really sure about that stat, but people were giving the new coach props, but I don't think they moved up, even with the improved goaltending. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tnt said:

Inherently better could encompass one position -- goaltender.  Ben Bishop compared to the list of goaltenders Hakstol had at Philly.  It wasn't until after he left that they brought up Carter Hart, who performed much better than the cast they had before.  That said, how many points out of the playoffs were they when Hakstol left, and how many did they end up out of it?  Not really sure about that stat, but people were giving the new coach props, but I don't think they moved up, even with the improved goaltending. 

Yes. This.

It's mind boggling that more people cant seem to grasp the reality that philli was NEVER going anywhere using 17 recycled tendies. 

Bishop in net is a "bit" of a difference, to say the least. 

The real question in neanderthal land... philli... is who kept Hart down as long as he was?... It wasnt Hak, he wasnt given anywhere near any input on team formation.

9 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

We'll see how long David Quinn lasts in New York as well.  Rangers fans have about as much patience as Flyers fans.  

5 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Yes. This.

It's mind boggling that more people cant seem to grasp the reality that philli was NEVER going anywhere using 17 recycled tendies. 

Bishop in net is a "bit" of a difference, to say the least. 

The real question in neanderthal land... philli... is who kept Hart down as long as he was?... It wasnt Hak, he wasnt given anywhere near any input on team formation.

One of those goalies is playing to make the SCF.