SiouxSports.com Forum

Red River Flooding

darell1976

5 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

How are things looking for this spring now?

Spring melt has gone almost as perfect as it could have. Sump pumps starting to open up in Grand Forks. Ground is still incredibly saturated so how much moisture in tomorrow's snow will be important. 

Had it been a rough end of winter/beginning of spring, it could have been ugly with everything else going on.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

I’ve always wondered why the bridges need to close when the water won’t breach them. Isn’t it our right as taxpayers to be able to cross the bridges? 

:)

Are you referring to the ones in GF?  The bridges themselves may not be breached, but the approaches typically go under water, which is most likely why they close them.

• Upvote 4

16 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Anybody have a good link to a GF/EGF Red River flood cam?  I think there used to be one at the NOAA page that was mounted on the Sorlie Bridge, but it may have been deactivated when the bridge was rehabbed.

Didn't they used to have a camera on the GF County Court House facing the Red River?

1 hour ago, Sioux>Bison said:

I thank drain tile for this ever year flood mess. Every field in the valley is drain tiles directly to a drainage ditch which is like a super highway for all the water in the valley to rush into the red river. 

It hasn't been warm enough for the deep ground frost to lift yet.  Most drainage tiles are still in the permafrost yet.

My parents had to install sump pumps in GF because water was seeping in last fall   They have turned those sumps back on, but it's mostly ice yet.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

It hasn't been warm enough for the deep ground frost to lift yet.  Most drainage tiles are still in the permafrost yet.

My parents had to install sump pumps in GF because water was seeping in last fall   They have turned those sumps back on, but it's mostly ice yet.

A lot of sump pumps are pumping water, mine starts up every 15 minutes.

1 hour ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

A lot of sump pumps are pumping water, mine starts up every 15 minutes.

My sump pump hose was frozen yesterday, I am lucky I got to it. If I hadn't, I might have a basement full of water. 

3 hours ago, Goon said:

My sump pump hose was frozen yesterday, I am lucky I got to it. If I hadn't, I might have a basement full of water. 

3 hours ago, Blackheart said:

That and a burned out pump.

I burned out a pump late last fall when the hose outside froze. Luckily I noticed it early enough, as water was just starting to come out of the sump hole.

• Upvote 1