SiouxSports.com Forum

Red River Flooding

darell1976

12 hours ago, UND1983 said:

My pump is going every 5-10 mins.  I may need to swap it out over the summer to be safe for future, it's been working hard.

Sump pumps don't last forever, and when they quit the water usually comes out of the sump hole and spreads over the lower level floor.
Plumbers had many service calls with seepage issues last fall and that may continue this spring in GF.  High water table.

The seepage concerns need to be monitored daily or even more often. They are a kind of thing many home owners seem to neglect, till it's too late. Good luck.
I go into many homes, and have seen some pretty serious seepage problems last fall and into winter. 

On 4/3/2020 at 2:23 PM, Redneksioux said:

I’ve always wondered why the bridges need to close when the water won’t breach them. Isn’t it our right as taxpayers to be able to cross the bridges? 

:)

Still want to drive across the bridges in GF? :)

image.thumb.png.91bf298fc6e6696f4a9ea9ff422ca626.png

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

The Fargo Fear-um predicted a few weeks ago a top 5 flood. With lockdown glad we did have to deal with that projection and the possible sandbagging.

River should reach 48 feet which would be top 6 Flood in GF I believe.  Levees are 60 feet in GF; flood walls are 63 feet. Theoretically, you wouldn’t have to throw a sand bag within GF unless it approached 60 feet.  Even a record flood of more than 54.5 feet would not require sandbagging within city limits of GF as long as it  doesn’t near 60 feet which is inconceivable as the RR valley is flat; the river would be 30 miles wide at that level.

3 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

That would be Lake Agassiz

image.jpeg.a27818bec4e86d82d60ce50babf4d6c2.jpeg

The real lake Agassiz covered more of ND and also some more of MN.  That was before drain tile.  But Lake Agassiz was the result of the big melt(glacier) thank Gof for global warming or we would be hunting seals and polar bears for food and clothing.

1 hour ago, Nodak78 said:

The real lake Agassiz covered more of ND and also some more of MN.  That was before drain tile.  But Lake Agassiz was the result of the big melt(glacier) thank Gof for global warming or we would be hunting seals and polar bears for food and clothing.

That might have helped steer the nickname process.

• Upvote 1