SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (4-5) vs Milwaukee (2-7) 12/9 3PM

SWSiouxMN

The last two times I've gone to the game, I've been offered free tickets. People in the lobby are offering up free tickets. I'll take it. Free Division I basketball. 

Attendance wasn't good today. I thought it was a good game, nice to see the Hawks win for a change. Last season, I attended most of the games after Thanksgiving and I was bad luck. 

I had a discussion this weekend with somebody on the coaching situation. Eventually, this is going to have to be addressed. How long does Jones get? 

Basketball is a big sport at our school but it appears be dying a slow painful death. 

50 minutes ago, Goon said:

The last two times I've gone to the game, I've been offered free tickets. People in the lobby are offering up free tickets. I'll take it. Free Division I basketball. 

Attendance wasn't good today. I thought it was a good game, nice to see the Hawks win for a change. Last season, I attended most of the games after Thanksgiving and I was bad luck. 

I had a discussion this weekend with somebody on the coaching situation. Eventually, this is going to have to be addressed. How long does Jones get? 

Basketball is a big sport at our school but it appears be dying a slow painful death. 

Jones is on the hot seat. So is Brewster. And if they aren't, that says more about the standards and expectations at UND than it does about them.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Goon said:

It really was a much bigger sport at UND in the 70s, 80s, and into the 90s if I recall.  Heck, at today's game there were close to as many cheerleaders and dance team girls in attendance as there were students.  I didn't even see a band.     

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, GDPritch said:

It really was a much bigger sport at UND in the 70s, 80s, and into the 90s if I recall.  Heck, at today's game there were close to as many cheerleaders and dance team girls in attendance as there were students.  I didn't even see a band.     

I've enjoyed watching the UND basketball team play the last two seasons. I am just glad they finally beat someone while I was in attendance. It's one of the few sports you can afford to take the family to. There's something lacking with the atmosphere at the Betty. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Jones is on the hot seat. So is Brewster. And if they aren't, that says more about the standards and expectations at UND than it does about them.

Chaves hasn't even been on the job for a year. He has many coaching issues left behind by Faison to deal with. UND has fallen a long way since the hockey national and Big Sky quad. Guessing he has many fires to put out. Which one first? Second? He punted on the fb one, and probably handcuffed by the contract extensions given by Faison on the others too.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, zonadub said:

Chaves hasn't even been on the job for a year. He has many coaching issues left behind by Faison to deal with. UND has fallen a long way since the hockey national and Big Sky quad. Guessing he has many fires to put out. Which one first? Second? He punted on the fb one, and probably handcuffed by the contract extensions given by Faison on the others too.

I am more concerned about these under-achieving coaches getting new extensions without having earned them first. I think Chaves will be better than Faison was in that regard.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I am more concerned about these under-achieving coaches getting new extensions without having earned them first. I think Chaves will be better than Faison was in that regard.

At the time their extensions were signed:

• Jones' contract was up and he had just made the NCAA tournament and was named Big Sky coach of the year.
  • Bubba was going into the final year on his contract and signed his extension after making the playoffs as a seeded team and being Big Sky coach of the year. A more important part of that contract was a boost in the assistant coaching pool and preventing him from going into a lame duck year.

I can't remember what Brewster's contract situation and apparently finding details on it aren't exactly easy for some reason.

17 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I believe most if not all of the coaches won their conference championship in the year in which they were extended.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, jdub27 said:

At the time their extensions were signed:

• Jones' contract was up and he had just made the NCAA tournament and was named Big Sky coach of the year.
  • Bubba was going into the final year on his contract and signed his extension after making the playoffs as a seeded team and being Big Sky coach of the year. A more important part of that contract was a boost in the assistant coaching pool and preventing him from going into a lame duck year.

I can't remember what Brewster's contract situation and apparently finding details on it aren't exactly easy for some reason.

19 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

I believe most if not all of the coaches won their conference championship in the year in which they were extended.

I am talking about future contract extensions, not past extensions. And I was talking only about MBB and WBB, not FB. I hope that Chaves isn't overly generous with extensions for coaches who have not earned them.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I am talking about future contract extensions, not past extensions. And I was talking only about MBB and WBB, not FB. I hope that Chaves isn't overly generous with extensions for coaches who have not earned them.

You said "I think Chaves will be better than Faison was in that regard" implying that the extensions were ill-timed or not deserved at the time they were given which I pointed out they that isn't really accurate. You can argue he could have let Jones go early, but gave him one more year to prove himself instead of buying out the contract and Jones performed.

I'm not sure anyone even knows what Brewster's contract situation currently is though I have to imagine he's getting towards the end of his last extension.

Just now, jdub27 said:

You said "I think Chaves will be better than Faison was in that regard" implying that the extensions were ill-timed or not deserved at the time they were given which I pointed out they really weren't.

I'm not sure anyone even knows what Brewster's contract situation currently is though I have to imagine he's getting towards the end of his last extension.

Whatever. We'll just have to wait and see how Chaves handles it.