SiouxSports.com Forum

2019-2020 Recruiting

UND Fan

8 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

i really like what sather is building...drop jonsy's dead weight of a class and replace em with these guys.  #daybyday

Grab a point guard and things should be set.  Team looks much better on paper, especially on the defensive end. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

gimme your starting 5 next year and 3 off the bench now

I’m thinking Nero, Shockey (maybe Ihenacho), DAE, Sueker and Rebraca. Then we have G, Sims, Brady and Ihenacho. Overall much better depth I believe and keep in mind not a single senior was mentioned. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

Overall this a major upgrade.  It will not fill Stewart's role but overall a strong 8 deep.

The question will be how these new pieces will fit and how well they will mesh and play together.   There is definitely more balance on paper with this squad

6 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

The question will be how these new pieces will fit and how well they will mesh and play together.   There is definitely more balance on paper with this squad

I have complete faith in this coach to fit the pieces together.  He was masterful with last years team.

I like to watch UND basketball as a casual fan, but I am not a basketball guy by any means.

Have Sather's improvements been an upgrade from where we were?

Do we have a realistic shot to be competitive next year?

Are we setting up for the future?

Just looking for general thoughts. Thanks!

24 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I like to watch UND basketball as a casual fan, but I am not a basketball guy by any means.

I hope we can keep Sather for a few years.  IMHO. The best coach UND has had since Fitch.

13 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

To answer your questions

1)  Sather has done a great job in adding more talent, especially to a bench that desperately needed it.  Stewart was the hardest piece to replace but that will have to be spread out over several people. If DAE and Rebraca can take the next step in their progressions, that scoring hole will be filled. Like others have said, it looks like they will have a solid rotation of 8-9 players, which they didn't really have last year.  

2) Outside of SDSU, there isn't a dominate team, so UND can be competitive next year.  ORU, Omaha will be amongst the top teams again.  NDSU will take a step back but will still be in the mix, USD will take a step back as well, DU is the team to watch, how much will they charge up the standings?  I think WIU needs to adapt to Jeter's style and UMKC is going to be in rebuild mode.   I think this team can finish over .500 in both regular and conference play.

3) This was always going to be a junior heavy team going into this season, and the roster changes still reflect it (we will see what the situation is with Nero in the coming weeks if they can get 3 years eligibility).  Sophomore class needs to keep improving and the freshman need to be ready to have an impact, especially at the guard spot.  

The good news is that they would bring all 8-9 players back the following year (assuming no one leaves of course) and that would be the best chance for UND to strike for a title.  So to really answer your question. The next two years look pretty good.  

20 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

I think we may be sleeping on Sims starting too. I think he will give us a huge boost defensively. That would give us additional length and more experience. 

Nero - 6'2"

DAE - 6'6"

Sims - 6'7"

Sueker - 6'9"

Rebraca - 6'9"

I don't recall a starting lineup with this much height. Looks pretty impressive.