SiouxSports.com Forum

On To UNC

geaux_sioux

Were there any notable injuries last week? Will we get anyone back that was out last week?

What does everyone think the coaching staff will do to correct some of these weak spots?

How did ISU complete 15+yard passes so easily and consistently? Did that failure keep the D honest and open up the gates for their running game? It seemed like they were gaining yards at will. Thankfully the red zone D held up pretty well but something needs to change. Do they need to throttle back on the blitzing or ramp it up? Offenses are seeing weaknesses in the defense and are obviously successfully exploiting it. I think they need to disguise their overages more and need to get more creative with blitz packages.

How can the offense mix it up a little? How can they give Kett more options to use all those weapons he has? Last week was very frustrating to watch. You see all those weapons UND has and you see how many plays they run, but by the end of the game it just seems like none of it got used! It's like their is a huge bottle neck in the play calling that keeps any explosive plays from happening. That play sheet and his mind act as a giant bottle neck...

I think the offense needs to spread do quick slants for days. As soon as those are rolling start throwing in double moves, screens and draws. Get Johnny in the slot and use him on sweeps all game long, whether he's getting the ball or not. DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT

They need to clean up the controllable mistakes.
How many times did they get inside the 20 only to go backwards.
What happened to "zero penalties" in the Washington game? 

They need to get into "play by play" mindset. 
All that matters is the next play: Execute your portion of it precisely, flawlessly. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Were there any notable injuries last week? Will we get anyone back that was out last week?

What does everyone think the coaching staff will do to correct some of these weak spots?

How did ISU complete 15+yard passes so easily and consistently? Did that failure keep the D honest and open up the gates for their running game? It seemed like they were gaining yards at will. Thankfully the red zone D held up pretty well but something needs to change. Do they need to throttle back on the blitzing or ramp it up? Offenses are seeing weaknesses in the defense and are obviously successfully exploiting it. I think they need to disguise their overages more and need to get more creative with blitz packages.

How can the offense mix it up a little? How can they give Kett more options to use all those weapons he has? Last week was very frustrating to watch. You see all those weapons UND has and you see how many plays they run, but by the end of the game it just seems like none of it got used! It's like their is a huge bottle neck in the play calling that keeps any explosive plays from happening. That play sheet and his mind act as a giant bottle neck...

I think the offense needs to spread do quick slants for days. As soon as those are rolling start throwing in double moves, screens and draws. Get Johnny in the slot and use him on sweeps all game long, whether he's getting the ball or not. DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT

https://undfootball360.com/happenings/september-2018/

does not sound good for the offense anyway

Just now, Longtime fan said:

Und needs Santiago but if he needs rest up I like giving Cam some reps.  Talented kid. 

I agree but if there is a time to miss a game I guess it's now so he can rest up in the bye week and get ready for Montana. If we can't beat UNC without Santiago we have some major problems that one guy cant fix.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNDColorado said:

I agree but if there is a time to miss a game I guess it's now so he can rest up in the bye week and get ready for Montana. If we can't beat UNC without Santiago we have some major problems that one guy cant fix.

The thing about Santiago.... he ignites double coverage by every  team just by being on the field. This is where Rudy could/should exploit the opposing teams weakness.  Teams have an eagle eye directed to Santiago. So many ways to use #22 .....whether the ball is in his hands or not.  Every team  “bites” when it looks like he’s getting it.   

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Any chance the redshirt rule could impact us as far as some seniors go that would look to transfer?

If they are not playing this year, well there is a reason and I doubt they would play next year.  Right, wrong or indifferent the rule allows guys that opportunity.  

What’s the chances that und scores 30 for the first time this year against a somewhat, maybe, kinda.....competent d1 team.   Mvsu is not a competent d1 team  ....they are equivalent to naia mid level talent.... at best.   Most d1 teams drop 50 -70 pts on them.  Und struggled to get 35 against them.   Could we see 30 against a team thats 0-4 ?  I say und scores 23.  Most of those points will of course come in the first half before adjustments have been made by the opposing DC. Opposing DCs make Rudy look like a child.  Five years of offensive greatness continues ???..... and yes....... I am, and have been for 5 years, completed frustrated with the talent that is wasted in this offense!!    Santiago’s 1 td this year amplifies my frustration. Four games in and he has one td !??!?   They have played mvsu, Idaho st,  Sam and Washington.   Outside of Washington the defenses of the other three teams are equal to a class b team.  

Is anybody on this forum happy with the offense the last 5 years ??   If so ....state your reason.  

30 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

What’s the chances that und scores 30 for the first time this year against a somewhat, maybe, kinda.....competent d1 team.   Mvsu is not a competent d1 team  ....they are equivalent to naia mid level talent.... at best.   Most d1 teams drop 50 -70 pts on them.  Und struggled to get 35 against them.   Could we see 30 against a team thats 0-4 ?  I say und scores 23.  Most of those points will of course come in the first half before adjustments have been made by the opposing DC. Opposing DCs make Rudy look like a child.  Five years of offensive greatness continues ???..... and yes....... I am, and have been for 5 years, completed frustrated with the talent that is wasted in this offense!!    Santiago’s 1 td this year amplifies my frustration. Four games in and he a td !??!?   They have played mvsu, Idaho st,  Sam and Washington.   Outside of Washington the defenses of the other three teams are equal to a class b team.  

Is anybody on this forum happy with the offense the last 5 years ??   If so ....state your reason.  

I still don’t understand why he hired Rudolph in the first place. Was there not anybody better??? He had little success in D2 before UND

6 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

Apparently not. This was it.... 

My only theory is that his offenses were not talented enough for his complex play system. I don’t think Studs quite fit his system and I am assuming that Kett is now allowing him to expand the number of plays he can run. Or Bubba was desperate