SiouxSports.com Forum

Starting QB

sioux24/7

Who Should Start?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to see starting at QB?

• Andrew Zimmerman
    • Nate Ketteringham
    • Brock Boltmann
    • Noah Wanzek

I know this has been a nonstop topic but I am hungover on a Sunday and just want to talk football.

Andrew Zimmerman - Played in 4 games last season, no starts. Finished the year completing 21 of 41 passes for 339 yards and 3 TDs against 1 INT.

Nate Ketteringham - Has 17 collegiate games under his belt completing 55% of his passes for 3387 yards 24 TDs and 15 ints. Had a down sophomore year compared to his freshman year.

Brock Boltmann - Best athlete of the three, I know Studsrud has been his comp a lot because of the mobility but it sounds like Boltmann may be a better passer? I seem to recall Tom Miller saying that he hasn't seen a freshman QB like him or something like that.

Noah Wanzek - Completed 2 of his 3 career passes for 30 yards and 1 touchdown. ;)

To start, I thought Zimmerman played pretty well in his limited action last year. I'm sure with another summer under his belt he will be improved starting this year.

That being said, I hope it's Ketteringham, because that means he's the best QB on the roster (take your Heidlebaugh / Zimmerman Montana game shots). He was a solid QB at Sac State who was terrible when he was there (2-9 his Sophomore year). By all accounts he can make all the throws and will give UND that deep ball ability they haven't had in a while. I also hope the QB battle isn't as close as it sounds and that'll only serve UND better this year with Ketteringham hopefully being safely in the Top 1/2 of Big Sky QBs.

59 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

I know this has been a nonstop topic but I am hungover on a Sunday and just want to talk football.

Andrew Zimmerman - Played in 4 games last season, no starts. Finished the year completing 21 of 41 passes for 339 yards and 3 TDs against 1 INT.

Nate Ketteringham - Has 17 collegiate games under his belt completing 55% of his passes for 3387 yards 24 TDs and 15 ints. Had a down sophomore year compared to his freshman year.

Brock Boltmann - Best athlete of the three, I know Studsrud has been his comp a lot because of the mobility but it sounds like Boltmann may be a better passer? I seem to recall Tom Miller saying that he hasn't seen a freshman QB like him or something like that.

Noah Wanzek - Completed 2 of his 3 career passes for 30 yards and 1 touchdown. ;)

Wanzek? Grover is our 4th string QB. Wanzek would be interesting at QB, haha.

I’d love to see Boltman but from what I’ve read so far Ketteringham is our guy. I haven’t seen much outside of highlights so I’m not confident in my opinion. 

38 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

I know that the SFI guys (I am going to continue to refer to them as that) had mentioned that Rudy was hoping to name a QB by practice 15 or 16. Practice 15 is going on today so I wouldn't be surprised to hear something tomorrow.

Who would you rather see as the #1? Or do you have a favorite? 

I'd be shocked if it was anyone other than Ketteingham.  Hope they announce the starter very soon.  The old saying "if you have 2 QBs than you have none.  What about when you have 3 QBs.  They need to settle on 1 guy and have him taking the 1st team reps.  

21 minutes ago, bang said:

Who would you rather see as the #1? Or do you have a favorite? 

I personally would prefer Ketteringham. I know a lot of people were happy with what Zimmerman provided last year but I wasn't all that overly impressed. I am really interested in seeing Boltmann getting some action though this year, kid has a bright future.

• Upvote 1

For what it's worth, I think Zim had, by far, the better day at practice today.  Every QB will have their on and off days.

Practice ended with a 50 yard bomb from Noah Grover to Red River's own Tyler Burian, who by beat JUCO transfer Osayi Onaghinor in close coverge, with a beautiful over the shoulder catch and scamper into the endzone. The offensive unit went nuts.

^^^^^^ All that said about Zim, I still voted for Ketteringham, based on in game experience at this level. Ketteringham does have a tendency, though, to hang in the pocket just a tad too long. I think his clock is still on Pacific Time. LOL!   A couple of times he got eaten up by the DEs and OLBs but other times he got the ball off at the last millisecond.  Nerve wracking for an observer. 

2 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

For what it's worth, I think Zim had, by far, the better day at practice today.  Every QB will have their on and off days.

Practice ended with a 50 yard bomb from Noah Grover to Red River's own Tyler Burian, who by beat JUCO transfer Osayi Onaghinor in close coverge, with a beautiful over the shoulder catch and scamper into the endzone. The offensive unit went nuts.

So where’s the full length practice write up you selfish bastard?

• Upvote 1

I will say they strung together two pretty good high-tempo practices in a row on Saturday and Sunday.  Offense is starting to gel and put it together. Seems to be the way things go every fall. This is about the time the gap closes between D and O.

Just now, gundy1124 said:

I heard it is Ket, Grover, Zim, then Boltman, but the margin is razor thin between 2-4.

Wow Grover wasn't really in my sights clearly by my post. For some reason I thought he had to sit out this year but realized that's dumb, he was a JUCO.

I assume Grover does have a red shirt left. He graduated from high school spring of 2017. Everything I’ve read so far has him playing fourth string against the 2-4th stringers. Although he’s tearing those 2-4th stringers apart. 

3 minutes ago, bang said:

I assume Grover does have a red shirt left. He graduated from high school spring of 2017. Everything I’ve read so far has him playing fourth string against the 2-4th stringers. Although he’s tearing those 2-4th stringers apart. 

And 3rd and 4th string QBs are UND's biggest weakness....

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

And 3rd and 4th string QBs are UND's biggest weakness....

Not sure what you mean, but what I was saying is he’s tearing apart the 3rd and 4th string defensive units. Not sure that warrants being two on the depth chart. Like I said earlier I haven’t seen anything myself. I’m just going by what I’ve read. I’m not questioning Gundy’s info, I guess I’m just pointing out what I’ve read and heard about Grover. 

5 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

I heard it is Ket, Grover, Zim, then Boltman, but the margin is razor thin between 2-4.

Does Grover have a redshirt left, anyone??

I loved Grover when I watched practice last week. I thought if he’s the fourth string QB this team is in great shape. 

6 hours ago, bang said:

His juco hudl shows he is a gun slinger.  Throws quick from any body position.  I think 45-50 yards was his longest throw with some air under it.  Would like to see a little more with the deep ball, but he's still pretty young.

19 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

Practice ended with a 50 yard bomb from Noah Grover to Red River's own Tyler Burian, ... 

The kid's old man is a natural athlete.
(How's that for sucking up to someone who haunts here now and then. :D

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, LeaveNoDoubt said:

We should be finding out who the starter is today correct?

I think today was a soft date to have a starting QB set, so hopefully, but I suppose it could still be another day or two. I would think that by now the coaches would know who they want to start, and the remaining battle would be for the backup spot.

• Upvote 1