SiouxSports.com Forum

Impressive Pothole development

Frozen4sioux

5 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

So the people of Grand Forks dealt with a good chunk of Washington Street being borderline undriveable in the curb side lane, for most of 2 summers, when a 2 week mill and overlay project only costing the city just over $100,000 is currently fixing the issue?  

"Fixing" the issue for another year or two until the freeze/thaw cycle combined with the inadequate base underneath starts popping chunks loose again.  

13 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

So the people of Grand Forks dealt with a good chunk of Washington Street being borderline undriveable in the curb side lane, for most of 2 summers, when a 2 week mill and overlay project only costing the city just over $100,000 is currently fixing the issue?  

Full disclosure: It's a $1.2 million project that needed state and federal funds allocated to cover the rest so that it would only cost the city $120K. Those other funds need to be applied for and allocated to bring the cost down to what it is for the city.

53 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Full disclosure: It's a $1.2 million project that needed state and federal funds allocated to cover the rest so that it would only cost the city $120K. Those other funds need to be applied for and allocated to bring the cost down to what it is for the city.

Correct, and I suppose it's fair to state that a small percent of those state and Federal funds also come via taxes paid by GF residents.  Point I was trying to make is that the city doesn't bat an eye when it comes to paying $50K or more for things like library or downtown vibrancy consultants.......which makes this Washington project that benefits practically every resident in Grand Forks a steal that never should have took so long.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UND-1 said:

"Fixing" the issue for another year or two until the freeze/thaw cycle combined with the inadequate base underneath starts popping chunks loose again.  

Not a permanent fix but it's not like it's all gonna fall apart in a year or two either.  Minus a few trouble areas this project greatly improves the driving experience at minimal cost for the next 3-5 years.  

1 hour ago, TheFlop said:

Not a permanent fix but it's not like it's all gonna fall apart in a year or two either.  Minus a few trouble areas this project greatly improves the driving experience at minimal cost for the next 3-5 years.  

I hope your right about this.  The section of N. Washington that goes under the train tracks had an overlay put on it last fall.  By this spring, it had all washed out and was as bad or worse as it was last fall..

3 hours ago, TheFlop said:

Correct, and I suppose it's fair to state that a small percent of those state and Federal funds also come via taxes paid by GF residents.  Point I was trying to make is that the city doesn't bat an eye when it comes to paying $50K or more for things like library or downtown vibrancy consultants.......which makes this Washington project that benefits practically every resident in Grand Forks a steal that never should have took so long.  

Is the city funding the library consultant?  http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/4425361-step-ahead-grand-forks-library-spending-about-80k-consultant

I may be misreading your comment and/or the article, but I don't think the library consultant is being paid directly via the city coffers. 

Carry on...

:)

3 hours ago, siouxjoy said:

Is the city funding the library consultant?  http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/4425361-step-ahead-grand-forks-library-spending-about-80k-consultant

I may be misreading your comment and/or the article, but I don't think the library consultant is being paid directly via the city coffers. 

Carry on...

:)

The library gets a significant portion of it's funding from the city of Grand Forks each year.   http://www.grandforksgov.com/government/city-departments/finance-and-administrative-services/budget-taxes/2018-budget

2 hours ago, Goon said:

The city of Grand Forks has done a good job of repairing North and South Washington. Now, hopefully, they get to Cherry Street. 

Belmont is getting a bit of work, too. 

Belmont is nearly finished and will be today.  Cherry starts tomorrow.

27 minutes ago, bang said:

It’s about time asphalt roads become the norm in GF. Concrete roads just don’t hold up to our freeze thaw weather. 

Frost is a road killer, and it is worse in northern areas like GF where the water table is high. When wet dirt freezes, it expands much more than dry dirt causing the ground to lift. 

45 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Frost is a road killer, and it is worse in northern areas like GF where the water table is high. When wet dirt freezes, it expands much more than dry dirt causing the ground to lift. 

Thanks for the clarification. What I was getting at is that asphalt is a better suited pavement surface for GF. Because of the expansion. Cheaper over time and a lot smoother. 

16 hours ago, bang said:

Thanks for the clarification. What I was getting at is that asphalt is a better suited pavement surface for GF. Because of the expansion. Cheaper over time and a lot smoother. 

But is this true along routes frequented by beet trucks and other heavy traffic?  In my observation, asphalt tends to ripple in areas with heavy braking.

7 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

But is this true along routes frequented by beet trucks and other heavy traffic?  In my observation, asphalt tends to ripple in areas with heavy braking.

Yes, correct loaded trucks breaking will shove at intersections with asphalt. Concrete roads become such a rough ride, but a great base. If you rubilize (turn it into gravel) the existing concrete base and pave asphalt over top you’ll have a smooth firm surface with little maintenance. Of course nothing is that simple. 

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the potholes have garnered enough attention to warrant a $5000 donation from Dominos.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/government-and-politics/4492156-grand-forks-potholes-earn-pizza-payout

Not saying my thread inspired the public response but.......   you’re  welcome Forks ;)..

Now get those rims fixed and go get a disc of heartburn with a few specs of cheese and pepperoni in appreciation of their gift.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/traffic-and-construction/4503881-paving-pizza-grant-fills-48-potholes-grand-forks

After receiving many suggestions from area residents, the city received a $5,000 grant from Domino's Pizza as part of the company's Paving for Pizza program.