SiouxSports.com Forum

Official UND Football Regime Change Thread

fightingsioux4life

I hear the players have lost respect of some of the coaching tactics as well.  Suspensions being prematurely imposed before facts , scholarships being cut by 25-50% for a late attendance to practice/Therapy/meeting etc. punishment that does not fitting the crime.  Coaches getting raises last year and no rings for the players. Equipment issued to Hockey/Basketball /Volleyball including Winter coats that FB does not receive.  More than  a handful of integral players exploring Transfers as the result of lake of respect for the players.  Arguments are heard coming from coaches offices.  Many feeling the coaches have lost a personal connection with the team, it does not always bode well to get constant criticism and never any positives. The locker room sounds to be in disarray.  Hopefully this off season will result in some positive changes before the spring camp starts. UND proud.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Great white said:

I hear the players have lost respect of some of the coaching tactics as well.  Suspensions being prematurely imposed before facts , scholarships being cut by 25-50% for a late attendance to practice/Therapy/meeting etc. punishment that does not fitting the crime.  Coaches getting raises last year and no rings for the players. Equipment issued to Hockey/Basketball /Volleyball including Winter coats that FB does not receive.  More than  a handful of integral players exploring Transfers as the result of lake of respect for the players.  Arguments are heard coming from coaches offices.  Many feeling the coaches have lost a personal connection with the team, it does not always bode well to get constant criticism and never any positives. The locker room sounds to be in disarray.  Hopefully this off season will result in some positive changes before the spring camp starts. UND proud.

If anything, they haven't been hard enough on the players.  There is no excuse for the lack of discipline that some of these players have exhibited.  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Great white said:

They were 3-8 this year.  What do they want someone to hold them and tell them everything will be ok? 

Put the big boy pants on and get to work.  

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Great white said:

I have heard this also.  It’s hard to play for a coach you don’t respect and doesn’t have your back

39 minutes ago, Great white said:

The locker room has been in disarray for awhile, going back towards the end of the 2016 season.  You guys obviously know how i feel about what is going on.  There has been a cancer growing in what is UND football for too long. 

2 minutes ago, old school said:

I have heard this also.  It’s hard to play for a coach you don’t respect and doesn’t have your back

It's got to be hard for the coaches as well with some of the things going on off the field. Some of the bad behavior from certain guys might make it hard to have everyone's back. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Bubba and the staff are fighting for their collective coaching lives.

Prior to this season they had been making steady progress in the right direction. No one is happy with how the season went, but considering where we were at when Bubba got here I'm trying to reserve judgement until next season. I'm hoping they can right the ship, but we'll see what happens.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

I saw enough from 2014 to 2016 to feel confident that Bubba is a quality football coach.

This year was trash and completely disappointing, but I doubt that Schweigert forgot how to coach during the past off season.  People can downplay the injuries and the effect they had or shouldn't have had on the season but that isn't a realistic point of view IMO.  Schweigert took over a program that had little or no depth and piece-meal recruiting class and made it better in 2014.  It was better still in 2015, and better yet in 2016.  Even though progress was made in '15 & '16, depth was still thin at many positions even though many of the 1st stringers were developing into high caliber players.  When players started dropping like flies this season, it was just too much to overcome.  Then when multiple players are lost because they decide being drug dealers is a better option than getting a free education, that is just piling on.

Olivera, Studsrud, Harris, Santiago, Wanzek, Toivonen, Blubaugh are all examples just off the top of my head of players that were forced into action too early in their careers.  (Maybe not Santiago because he is a special talent).  

There are things that the staff needs to evaluate including themselves and how they do things, but I think the doomsday viewpoint is a bit much.  We all want UND to be a top FCS program, we all want UND to be as dominant as they were in the 2000's, so dominant that when a quality player goes down it is just a matter of "plug & play" with another quality player.  Unfortunately, after the state the program was left in from 2008-2013, it just isn't there yet.

I think your wishful thinking could be spoiled in 2018. Let's see. 

The wins in 2015 and 2016 weren't collected due to superb coaching by any means. The players made several improbable plays and won many very close games. 

2 hours ago, Great white said:

I have seen a few posts here about lazy work ethics from some guys. Sounds like they may be trying to force those that cant hack it out

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, tnt said:

If anything, they haven't been hard enough on the players.  There is no excuse for the lack of discipline that some of these players have exhibited.  

I agree with you but there are injured guys whom have been under treatment and given some pretty heavy pain and sleep meds whom may have been late.  Is this really cause for discipline when these guys are giving up injury and dedication and get this BS in return for being late?? Really. If only all of us were punished for being 15 minutes late coming home to the wife, or 5 minutes late from Lunch because of an accident.  I understand if it was a repetitive occurrence but please understand mistakes do happen and the level of punishment is becoming like a witch hunt proving what.  You have players that will be seniors and have had a large investment put into them.  Will it benefit the program loosing those guys?

Recruits come for a visit and players take them out to parties and bars, then we expect them to commit and never think they will consume??? Why does UND not have a " dry" program with ZERO tolerance.  Would it surprise anyone to hear that the top players are also some of the largest consumers?? Would it be fair to not punish a player if he was more " valuable " and have a lesser player suspended??  Where does the line get crossed.  Not talking about drugs just beer or alcohol. Zero tolerance for any drug use is final.

19 minutes ago, Great white said:

I agree with you but there are injured guys whom have been under treatment and given some pretty heavy pain and sleep meds whom may have been late.  Is this really cause for discipline when these guys are giving up injury and dedication and get this BS in return for being late?? Really. If only all of us were punished for being 15 minutes late coming home to the wife, or 5 minutes late from Lunch because of an accident.  I understand if it was a repetitive occurrence but please understand mistakes do happen and the level of punishment is becoming like a witch hunt proving what.  You have players that will be seniors and have had a large investment put into them.  Will it benefit the program loosing those guys?

Recruits come for a visit and players take them out to parties and bars, then we expect them to commit and never think they will consume??? Why does UND not have a " dry" program with ZERO tolerance.  Would it surprise anyone to hear that the top players are also some of the largest consumers?? Would it be fair to not punish a player if he was more " valuable " and have a lesser player suspended??  Where does the line get crossed.  Not talking about drugs just beer or alcohol. Zero tolerance for any drug use is final.

Why would players be under sleep meds?  The picture you are painting, makes me think of a bunch of babies more than a hungry football team.  Bubba is trying to get control of the team back, it is pretty obvious he lost it.   I would not be opposed to 'dry' recruiting visits, but honestly I am much more worried about recruits being exposed to drugs during their visits.  I am afraid what the recruits get exposed to on their visits has cost us more recruits than it gains us.

I don't think there is benefit losing any players.  The way I see it, players and coaches have two options.  All in or leave and head somewhere else where their level of effort will be more welcome.  I think they all want to win but after a 3-8 season not sure anyone is in position to point fingers at anyone other than themselves.

I won't even go into the real world comparison of being late for a meeting and the lessons to learn from this.  Accountability isn't a bad thing and will be very important later in life.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Great white said:

You sound alot like a relative trying to defend a player that got dinged and trying to make up stuff to protect your guy. 

UND has far too many cancers on this team and needs to clean house.  When guys get caught with weed in their room by the police they should be suspended or kicked off.  Guys should get their scholarship cut when they don't piss a drop for 3 years straight and never make it past #3 at their position, especially when they are a secondary player.  When a veteran offensive lineman practices all week and then on gameday says he is too hurt to play, he should be benched for the rest of the season.

Many of the seniors in this program were terrible locker room guys and a major part of the problem, minus Studsrud and a few others.    

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Great white said:

I was 2-3 minutes late for my end of the year meeting with my head coach at UND because a train held me up.  He told me that he was seconds from closing the door and I should have planned so I was on time regardless of what happened on the way.

That was 30+ years ago so holding players accountable for being on time is nothing new. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, homer said:

Somebody recruited those players and put them in a spot to make those plays.  

Mussman recruited them, Bubba coached them ....

There's still a disconnect. UND can get better players than most Big Sky Conference schools (hence the 2015 and 2016 season), but they can't out-recruit based on *current* facilities and success most of the MVFC schools. The necessary component for future success is very good coaching/scheming in addition to good recruiting. Let's see if that is present. I have my doubts. 

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I think your wishful thinking could be spoiled in 2018. Let's see. 

The wins in 2015 and 2016 weren't collected due to superb coaching by any means. The players made several improbable plays and won many very close games. 

And likewise, it wasn't inept coaching that landed two defensive All Americans and a dozen other starters injured and on the sidelines for most of the year.

In four seasons this regime has provided far more positive results than negative.

I suspect 2018 will yield a return to the playoffs, and talk of a contract extension rather than a dismissal and buyout.......

• Upvote 1

All I am saying is this team needs to get direction and stick with it, I am trying to bring attention to the fact that when you point a finger at someone there is always 3 pointing back so no one including the coaches is without fault on this team, and the blame for mistakes can certainly encompass all involved from Admin to coaches to players. And no it is not a relative of mine but a very close acquaintance and it has nothing to do with drugs, I simply love this game and its sad to see how everyone want firings, cuts etc at the first sign of poor season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Great white said:

All I am saying is this team needs to get direction and stick with it, I am trying to bring attention to the fact that when you point a finger at someone there is always 3 pointing back so no one including the coaches is without fault on this team, and the blame for mistakes can certainly encompass all involved from Admin to coaches to players. And no it is not a relative of mine but a very close acquaintance and it has nothing to do with drugs, I simply love this game and its sad to see how everyone want firings, cuts etc at the first sign of poor season.

At least we can read yours posts knowing that you have some personal bias and that your information is not coming from a neutral source. Knowing where you are getting your information from, I think you're accusations against the staff is going a little far. I doubt you are getting the amount of information they are. They have yet to make a decision that looking back, seems overzealous.

That being said, I agree with the end of your last sentence. It is going to be a long offseaon with the (somewhat) understandable negative energy that a 3-8 season comes with, especially with the expectations there were for this season.