SiouxSports.com Forum

2018 Season

shep

8 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

365 days ago we were getting ready for the SD game. Ranked - 10th and 23rd, respectively. Lots of high hopes on this board with little acknowledgement/awareness of deficiencies in our dept chart.

Since Vermilion, is it possible that the coaches knew the players' capabilities better than us posters? And therefore, the play calling has been such at to the strengths/weaknesses of our team on the field, where the team often consisted of many 2 and 3 deep players? The last two games showed many strengths, and yet, again some not so much. Overall, potential to do well this season.

Today we are getting ready for a # 5 ranked Sam Houston State game in Huntsville in a very important game as an independent. We will have talented players on the field were a win is possible. This game will tell us a lot about our coaches. I'm very optimistic that our coaches will make good decisions with some new twists and the players will execute.

I don't think you can say nice things about the coaches here as that includes the OC and that's verboten.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

365 days ago we were getting ready for the SD game. Ranked - 10th and 23rd, respectively. Lots of high hopes on this board with little acknowledgement/awareness of deficiencies in our dept chart.

Since Vermilion, is it possible that the coaches knew the players' capabilities better than us posters? And therefore, the play calling has been such at to the strengths/weaknesses of our team on the field, where the team often consisted of many 2 and 3 deep players? The last two games showed many strengths, and yet, again some not so much. Overall, potential to do well this season.

Today we are getting ready for a # 5 ranked Sam Houston State game in Huntsville in a very important game as an independent. We will have talented players on the field were a win is possible. This game will tell us a lot about our coaches. I'm very optimistic that our coaches will make good decisions with some new twists and the players will execute.

365 days ago we were already down to a skeleton crew on defense.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Not sure where to put this. As far as I know, we have one player that is possibly out for the year. Am I correct?

Not confirmed but I am fairly certain Ott is out for the year. Fortunately this is a position group with some nice depth but still a bad loss.

On 9/12/2018 at 10:37 PM, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

This game will tell us a lot about our coaches.

Overall a pretty good job with some areas to improve.  One of my big concerns is special teams.  It has been mentioned multiple times but I haven't seen an in-depth discussion.  Special teams have been an issue for quite a while.  I am not referring to the kicker missing, but more about kick coverage lapses and getting our punts blocked.  You would think this would have been taken care of by now.  Punt protection and kickoff coverage are not rocket science.  Why can't we figure this out?  Well coached high school teams do a better job.  This is an issue that certainly can come back to bite us this year and has going on for several years.  Look at the Richmond playoff game (as painful as that is) - Mr. Triple Reverse gets a lot of well deserved criticism, but a running into the kicker penalty and a blocked punt killed us.  If the guys (coaches and players) we are using can't get it done, lets make some changes.  And while no one but the kicker can be held accountable for kick accuracy, why in the wild wild world of sports can't we find someone who can get a kickoff to the end zone?  What gives?

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Irish said:

Overall a pretty good job with some areas to improve.  One of my big concerns is special teams.  It has been mentioned multiple times but I haven't seen an in-depth discussion.  Special teams have been an issue for quite a while.  I am not referring to the kicker missing, but more about kick coverage lapses and getting our punts blocked.  You would think this would have been taken care of by now.  Punt protection and kickoff coverage are not rocket science.  Why can't we figure this out?  Well coached high school teams do a better job.  This is an issue that certainly can come back to bite us this year and has going on for several years.  Look at the Richmond playoff game (as painful as that is) - Mr. Triple Reverse gets a lot of well deserved criticism, but a running into the kicker penalty and a blocked punt killed us.  If the guys (coaches and players) we are using can't get it done, lets make some changes.  And while no one but the kicker can be held accountable for kick accuracy, why in the wild wild world of sports can't we find someone who can get a kickoff to the end zone?  What gives?

2016:  Blocked punt against Stony Brook - cost us the game

2016: Richmond game:  Running into kicker and also got a punt blocked - I think these were a large part of us losing the game

2018:  SHSU - punt blocked.  If they get a TD after recovering the ball at the 5 yard line instead of a FG, that would have cost us the game.  SHSU likely wins 27-24. 

This needs to be addressed. Like you said, a good high school team likely doesn't average one punt getting blocked a year like we are currently averaging the past 3 years.  And we are only 3 games into this year.  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Irish said:

Today, our specials teams are in the most need of improvement. 

They've struggled all of the Bubba years. Hopefully we get to average here, and they don't cost us a game?

4 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Cieslak got a paw on it.

There's a video out there of Bennett nailing the QB for a sack, but it was Cieslak who bull-rushed the lineman into the QB forcing him from the pocket in the first place. He had a nice game.

Anyone else think that Izzy has shown enough to move past Toivonen on the depth chart?  The guy has better hands than Toivonen, and he can move down field after catching the ball.  He can also stretch the field.  Izzy caught a few short passes in the first half of the SHSU game that made it much more easy for us to move the ball down field.  Too many of our guys catch the ball and get tackled right where they catch it.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Anyone else think that Izzy has shown enough to move past Toivonen on the depth chart?  The guy has better hands than Toivonen, and he can move down field after catching the ball.  He can also stretch the field.  Izzy caught a few short passes in the first half of the SHSU game that made it much more easy for us to move the ball down field.  Too many of our guys catch the ball and get tackled right where they catch it.

How's his run blocking?  

6 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Yup.

21 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

How's his run blocking?  

Not sure if you were being sarcastic or not, but I think that is part of the reason Toivinen plays more.  Although at this point I don't care about his run blocking compared to Toivinen, we need more explosive offensive pass plays.  Those crossing routes to Izzy have worked well, and obviously he can stretch the field north and south also.  Wanzek, Maag, and Izzy would make a nice combo.  Izzy needs more playing time in my armchair quarterback opinion.