SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ badgers - SATURDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

1 minute ago, SiouxBoys said:

Go ahead and explain how it wasn't a penalty shot then almighty guru.

It is one of those at full speed looks to be clear, also the side of the ice the official is on can change the call, he didn't make the call initially so he took opinions from others with different views. It could''ve went either way. If he doesn't try to hug him and would've took his feet out when he was right next to him it isn't a PS. I am not sure if the shot hit the net as it didn't appear to take away a scoring chance as a shot got off. Either way I can see it go either way. Was hoping the big Thome would've been able to cover post to post. 

Just now, Wildfan said:

It is one of those at full speed looks to be clear, also the side of the ice the official is on can change the call, he didn't make the call initially so he took opinions from others with different views. It could''ve went either way. If he doesn't try to hug him and would've took his feet out when he was right next to him it isn't a PS. I am not sure if the shot hit the net as it didn't appear to take away a scoring chance as a shot got off. Either way I can see it go either way. Was hoping the big Thome would've been able to cover post to post. 

Getting a shot off doesn't determine anything. The player has to be denied a reasonable goal scoring opportunity. If a penalty occurred, then he was denied the opportunity.

12 minutes ago, SiouxBoys said:

2 minutes ago, Wildfan said:

That's more or less what Team Hennessey said. 

3 minutes ago, Wildfan said:

You're completely right on the hug though. If he dives from the side, no penalty shot. He instead wraps up form behind making it a penalty shot.

4 minutes ago, SiouxBoys said:

Go ahead and explain how it wasn't a penalty shot then almighty guru.

was the player in the clear and pulled down from behind with no ability of the defender to play the puck?   He was not, he was caught, and Bowen even made a play on the puck.  

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, yzerman19 said:

was the player in the clear and pulled down from behind with no ability of the defender to play the puck?   He was not, he was caught, and Bowen even made a play on the puck.  

Bowen wrapped his free arm around him to make a play on the puck. 100% correct call. 

3 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

I don't think the rule requires the player to be in the clear or that the defender be behind him, though, yzer.  I may be wrong on that.