SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ badgers - SATURDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

5 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

give me a rule...I'm waiting.....

From USA Hockey Rule Book: 

(a) A minor or major penalty shall be assessed under this rule for any of the actions described above.

(Note) However, no penalty shall be assessed under this rule if, in the opinion of the Referee, the player was clearly hook-checking or poke-checking the puck for the purpose of gaining possession.

You can argue the fact about purpose of gaining possssion, but at that point it then changes to where the player no longer had possession and control when the penalty occured, that can be argued to be a 2min penalty, but in USA Hockey that is not a penalty shot. Now in NCAA i'm sure there is similar wording somewhere, but it isn't right under tripping like it is on the USA Hockey rulebook site.

2 minutes ago, Wildfan said:

(a) A minor or major penalty shall be assessed under this rule for any of the actions described above.

(Note) However, no penalty shall be assessed under this rule if, in the opinion of the Referee, the player was clearly hook-checking or poke-checking the puck for the purpose of gaining possession.

You can argue the fact about purpose of gaining possssion, but at that point it then changes to where the player no longer had possession and control when the penalty occured, that can be argued to be a 2min penalty, but in USA Hockey that is not a penalty shot. Now in NCAA i'm sure there is similar wording somewhere, but it isn't right under tripping like it is on the USA Hockey rulebook site.

I want a penalty shot to be called there, and think that they should've keep the UW one as just a 2min instead of the penalty shot that they awarded after convening; however, the rules book favor UW in these situations.

3 minutes ago, Wildfan said:

doesn't tell it.  doesn't show difference between the two

Just now, Wildfan said:

I want a penalty shot to be called there, and think that they should've keep the UW one as just a 2min instead of the penalty shot that they awarded after convening; however, the officials favor UW in these situations.

FYP........

Just now, yzerman19 said:

judgment is the driver of the calls both ways...I get paid for judgment...lots...well more than GFHockey...call it consistent.  Have good judgment.

For the record, I have 2 degrees from Minnesota.  It is not green glasses.

I followed this board for years without ever posting. I knew their was something off about you, now I know what it is. :D

doesn't tell it.  doesn't show difference between the two

The NCAA rulebook does say that for a penalty shot to be called the player must be in possession and control of the puck WHEN fouled. Unfortunately they knocked the puck away before taking his feet out. I think same thing can be argued on first goal, but it appeared he wrapped him up before touching the puck. Lot easier to watch both puck and infraction when they both happen on the ice, instead of one low and one high.

judgment is the driver of the calls both ways...I get paid for judgment...lots...well more than GFHockey...call it consistent.  Have good judgment.

For the record, I have 2 degrees from Minnesota.  It is not green glasses.

Dang, Yzer.   You about had us sold on you having good judgment, then you admit to two degrees from UMinn??  You were so close . . .

Just now, Wildfan said:

The NCAA rulebook does say that for a penalty shot to be called the player must be in possession and control of the puck WHEN fouled. Unfortunately they knocked the puck away before taking his feet out. I think same thing can be argued on first goal, but it appeared he wrapped him up before touching the puck. Lot easier to watch both puck and infraction when they both happen on the ice, instead of one low and one high.

fair...first reasonable explanation I can consider

Just now, SiouxBoys said:

First one was called correctly for a penalty shot, second one was a good no call and a great play by the d-man

You can argue that it should've been atleast a 2min though as he still took his feet out. However, by rule I agree no Penalty shot, which is disappointing. 

Thoughts:

-The linesmen were terrible.....I hope that's the last time I ever post that.  

-Great weekend for your NCHC rookie of the week and goaltender of the week Peter Thome.

-Nick Jones tremendous again.  I think he's my favorite player.  Boy does he battle.  

-Undefeated weekend in Madison, check please.

-Finally, thank God Wisconsin plays the game it was meant to be played.  All those crap years of them trapping.  Now I'm actually happy they are on the schedule. 

• Upvote 4