SiouxSports.com Forum

Gameday vs Da Griz

geaux_sioux

Wonder what our third down conversion percentage is over the last 4 years.  People can talk TOP all they want, but it is an overrated stat as UC Davis showed us this year.  Our offense, even with studsrud hasn't been good at picking up first downs when we need them

• Like 1

It's not hard to stop the run when the opponent knows the QB can't throw. They've done a decent job in pass protection, problem again, the QB can't throw. Throw Heidelbaugh out with the best FCS offense in the country and I'd be a mess. They did look better in the 2nd quarter, you couldn't look worse than they did in the 1st, but they did improve. 

Defensively, I've been very impressed. 3 turnovers, bend but not break forcing Montana into 2 FG's. #12 will be great, but is a true freshman, outside of Hunts missed tackle he's been good on deep coverage. Canady has been solid as well. When you have 2 freshman and a sophomore on the back end against an explosive unit, I'd say they have passed the test. Cam Hunt has also had a solid game.

Overall, take age out of it, as a defensive unit I'd give them a B- / C+. 

Offensively, F (Good news being we know Heidelbaugh will not be the QB next year)

The difference couldn't be larger between Studs and Heidelbaugh, too bad Studs isn't healthy, this would have been a game. 

Put Zimmerman in the game. 

1 minute ago, Sioux94 said:

So either Z is not good at all, or the coaches should be questioned as to why he wasn't in.  Usually announcers are pretty kind and sometimes deflect, but they are basically flat out saying we have a QB who can't throw. 

Coaches are weird about kickers and qbs.

I said it the other day and I will say it again....this team looks unenthusiastic, under developed and unprepared. That's the job of the guys in the polo shirts. Injuries or not, even the backups should be serviceable when on the field. The needs to be more improvement during the off season starting with the mindset, strength program and focus. Looks like we celebrated winning the Big Sky all off season.

2 minutes ago, Old School Guy said:

I said it the other day and I will say it again....this team looks unenthusiastic, under developed and unprepared. That's the job of the guys in the polo shirts. Injuries or not, even the backups should be serviceable when on the field. The needs to be more improvement during the off season starting with the mindset, strength program and focus. Looks like we celebrated winning the Big Sky all off season.

I think much of the team is still celebrating last season's championship.

• Upvote 1