SiouxSports.com Forum

LET'S HELP BUBBA

UND Fan

I think trying to make things better is good. I think helping out the programs we love is good. I think enhancing player safety as a program priority will only help us. But the program needs more to be elite. Walk around memorial stadium and especially in the corners where they hope fans and recruits don't notice, look at the shape of the infrastructure. The shape of the track, the equipment. I still don't know if the HPC is done yet. If it's not, that needs to be funded as well. Keep on this topic. It needs to remain relevant.

7 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

I hate making the  comparison, but the hockey team has a personal chef and the football team can't afford knee braces?

What?  

They can afford them, however they are trying to endow them rather than have them in the budget.  It's probably at least a $10,000 budget item annually if they buy new every year, which I'm not sure of.

On 8/26/2017 at 1:48 PM, UND Fan said:

I will preface this by acknowledging that many of us are disappointed that last year's BSC championship team members did not receive rings.  I hope that something will happen to rectify the situation.  I am sure that many of us would help but is very unlikely we could raise enough $ for all the rings.  I understand the rings cost at least $200 each and we would probably need about 125 (100 players, 15 coaches & grad assistants, trainers, etc.) for a total cost of $25-30,000.   

That said, I talked to Bubba a few days ago and learned that he has a couple of specific needs - knee braces and concussion caps. 

KNEE BRACES 

Knee braces are essential to protect offensive linemen from injury.  While knee injuries are always possible, UND wants to provide its athletes with the best braces available (manufactured by Don Joy).  Funds for these braces have been provided by an outside source in recent years.  That source is no longer available and the expense was not included in the 2017 football budget. 

In addition to protecting Fighting Hawk athletes, Bubba and Coach Knauf feel our use of Don Joy braces is a significant advantage in recruiting young offensive linemen.  These prospects (and their parents) are pleased that UND provides the best knee protection available.  It can be the difference between the athlete choosing UND over another offer.

The annual cost of purchasing Don Joy braces approaches $5,000.

CONCUSSION CAPS

Providing all players with concussion caps is very important.  Funds for Champion concussion caps are also not included in this year's football budget.  If we are successful in raising funds for the knee braces, it would be great to help Bubba out with these caps as well. 

The cost of the caps is about $4,500.

CROWDFUNDING

I have worked with Mike Mannausau and the UND Alumni Association.  They are in the process of setting up a link to their Crowdfunding website for us.  This link should be available early next week.  I will post it here when it is up and running.  Not surprisingly, the link will refer to us as "ss.com" as they cannot use the word "Sioux". 

It would be great if you would PM me with the amount you are able to contribute.  You do not need to provide your name if you would prefer not to do so.  It would be good to know how we are doing.  I will post updates on this thread.  The official totals will be continually posted on the Crowdfunding website.

Some thoughts:

• I realize many of us are Champions Club members and actively support UND athletics.  This would simply be an extra contribution to assist Bubba in his efforts to make us an FCS power now and for many years to come.
  • There are other college fan sites that provide financial assistance to their university's athletic programs.  We at siouxsports.com should do the same.  As noted aboe, all donations will go directly to the Alumni Foundation.  Therefore, all contributions will be tax deductible.
  • On the Crowdfunding site, you will decide whether you want to have your name posted or do so anonymously.  I am sure that Bubba will reach out with thanks to all donors.
  • While this is aimed at ss.com members, we would gladly accept money from non-members so please pass this info on to your friends, families, etc.

Again, many of us are already supporting UND athletics but LET"S HELP BUBBA with a couple of his important needs.  Some may be able to make a significant donation while others can help with $20-25 - it will all add up!

The link will be provided as soon as it is available.

Thanks!

When will we see a link?

Can you run a total raised from SS and from how many donors?

I am in favor of helping the UND program offset costs by fundraising in any legal capacity for knee braces, concussion caps, etc. I'd also like to see UND schedule some non-conference games against FBS opponents with deep pockets from the Big 12, ACC or SEC. We are not currently built to win those games, but that's how many smaller programs build the bank account. UT Chattanooga plays LSU this year, and they played Alabama last year. How much are we making from play Utah??

8 minutes ago, Old School Guy said:

I am in favor of helping the UND program offset costs by fundraising in any legal capacity for knee braces, concussion caps, etc. I'd also like to see UND schedule some non-conference games against FBS opponents with deep pockets from the Big 12, ACC or SEC. We are not currently built to win those games, but that's how many smaller programs build the bank account. UT Chattanooga plays LSU this year, and they played Alabama last year. How much are we making from play Utah??

I don't remember what we are getting for the Utah game.  I think about $700K.  

We play Washington next year and Kansas State in 2020.  I am sure we will also have a "payday" game in '19 as well. 

18 minutes ago, Old School Guy said:

Didn't know about the K-State game in 2020.  Thanks for the update!

My guess on Utah may be a bit high.  We will get $500K from Washington next year.  I couldn't find the K State payday but USD is getting $425 for playing at Manhattan this year.

22 minutes ago, RavenousUte said:

Interesting article:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/6/22/11648368/scheduling-cupcake-guarantee-games-cost

I think any Power 5 team is going to bring you more revenue just due to the TV deals.  Pac-12 network may not be easy to find in ND but its the TV money that is paying for most that payout.

In addition to generating revenue, I think its also great recruiting tool. There are kids that won't get a chance to play FBS level, but would love nothing more than to play against them for exposure on ESPN or another major network and not to mention competition aspect. If I were a Chattanooga player, being able to play LSU in Death Valley on a Saturday night would get me excited. True competitors would seize the moment to build life long memories and possibly turn some heads with NFL scouts sitting in the stands.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Old School Guy said:

In addition to generating revenue, I think its also great recruiting tool. There are kids that won't get a chance to play FBS level, but would love nothing more than to play against them for exposure on ESPN or another major network and not to mention competition aspect. If I were a Chattanooga player, being able to play LSU in Death Valley on a Saturday night would get me excited. True competitors would seize the moment to build life long memories and possibly turn some heads with NFL scouts sitting in the stands.

I made that exact point here

• Like 1

On 8/27/2017 at 10:44 AM, bison73 said:

I was wondering when the funding issues were going to come to light.  I posted awhile back that there were issues and what you were seeing with cuts was just the tip of the iceberg.

Not a single thing you've tried claiming "See, I told you" has even been relevant but keep swinging or try learning some facts before making uniformed commentary.

There's enough issues in your own glass house to worry about them, but everyone's either busy being a fan boy or worried about losing access so nothing ever sees the light of day. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • UNDBIZ pinned this topic
  • UNDBIZ unpinned this topic